Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A small question  (Read 489 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A small question
« on: December 22, 2009, 02:38:57 pm »

Is there any way to mod the numbers of invaders?

I've noticed that thieves/babysnatchers always come in squads of 1, but it sometimes seems that several get discovered in quick succession. Are they part of the same attack? Is there any way in increasing the number of attacks/number of people in the same attack?

With sieges and ambushes, they seem to come in squads of 8. Is there any way to increase the number of squads or the number in each squad?

Would increasing the birth rate in world generation make them send a lot more people or not? how would one stop them from killing everything else off in world generation?

Also, I've tried giving a creature the tag [liTTERSIZE:100:200], but they only reproduce one at a time. Is this because they are part of a civilisation?

What I'm ideally trying to do is create some EPIC invasions, with several hundred invaders, and perhaps a siege of a couple thousand invaders.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:15:13 pm by ed boy »

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A small question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 09:29:34 pm »

So far as I know, there is no way to increase the number of invaders or thieves sent per wave.  The numbers of each do increase automatically as your fortress gets more prosperous, though. 

I've not experimented too much with world generation, but army size seems to be at least somewhat related to civ population, so a more populous civ does send out larger armies.  I don't know if there is an upper limit. 

I don't know about making multiple births, but to make a rapidly reproducing population, omit the [BABY] creature tag and use [CHILD:1].  The children of that creature type will then be born as Children, rather than Babies, and mature in 1 year.  The faster they mature, the faster they start poping out kids of their own.  This is actually a much more effective way to increase population growth than multiple births.

One strategy to prevent a super-civ from killing off everyone else is to just limit the number of civs of that type created. The entity tag MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER controlls the maximum number of civs of that type created.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:26:30 pm »

I might hypothesise that civs set to attack earlier scale to higher extremes - this is assuming that sieges scale based on your fortress strength/time vs their triggers as opposed to independent of the triggers.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 06:34:28 am »

I've set the child age to 1 and increased all the max settings in the entity file by a factor of 10, but after generating a couple of medium worlds I haven't been able to have a world with more than 8000 total population.

Also, the entity files would require a regen after each change to them. The problem is, they often get into wars with everybody during world generation and die that way. If I make them more likely to survive, they'll kill everybody else off. Is there any way to make them not get into wars but have them easy to piss off during fortress mode?

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 06:55:21 am »

from what I hear, that would require working with the ethics tags, you could probably make it so that all of them love trees, and you'll probably have tonnes of enemies once you start burning trees.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 10:59:26 am »

I've generated worlds with 10,000 population or more. Kills my computer with ease.

Firstly, the hard cap to sieges is 80 units. Never seen more than that, though I've yet to experiment with increasing cluster size, which might have an effect. I have had 6 thieves from a single civ in one season. Don't know what the limit is for that.

Secondly, littersize affects world gen population, but it seems to affect how many children are born in total, not how many are born per year. Units with large littersizes may stop having children when they reach 20 offspring, where a unit with multiple litter rare might end stop 10.

Thirdly, not all entity changes require a regen after each change. You might want to check out the sticky, or experiment for yourself.

Fourthly, the best way to have a well populated world is to have many civs; I run worldgen with 13 civilizations. Another thing you can try is to increase the number of civs per world, and set it so everyone lives in towns.

Finally, to prevent civs from going to war, firstly give them similar ethics, and secondly ensure they can all speak. To make them hostile later, remove the [Intelligent] or [Can_speak] tags from the civ's creature's entry, while making sure that [can_civ][can_learn] are present. Downside is new invaders lack names unless they fought in world gen.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod