Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refusal to build a forge.  (Read 5080 times)

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Refusal to build a forge.
« on: December 22, 2009, 12:56:01 pm »

I cant figure out what is causing this but I suspect it has to do with an armourers Fey mood.
Anyway, I got a wave of immigrants, one of which promptly had a strange mood so I built him a forge.
Except instead of building a forge it is stuck on the construction inactive screen. Requires any metal smithing which their are plenty of avaiolable dwarfs for (With no jobs)
What can I do?

Edit - The armourer went insane and the dogs took care of things.
But no change.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:01:51 pm by Ivan Issaccs »
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Refusal to build a forge.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:06:18 pm »

- Can the dwarfs reach the construction site and the building material?  Perhaps you locked a door or something.

- Did you 'f'orbid the material that was to be used to construct the forge?  If you remember the type, you could go to the stocks screen and unforbid all stone.  Or, you can cancel the construction and build a new forge.

- Is construction suspended?  That's easy to check: just 'q' and hover over the forge.  Though, you won't see the yellow "Construction Inactive" message if it's suspended; it will just be a red "Construction Suspended" message.  So, this one is unlikely.

- Of course, make sure you have a dwarf with "No Job" and any metal smithing labor enabled: Armourer, Blacksmith, Metalcrafter, Weapon Smith.  That dwarf must be able to reach both the building material and the construction site.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:12:13 pm »

- Of course, make sure you have a dwarf with "No Job" and any metal smithing labor enabled: Armourer, Blacksmith, Metalcrafter, Weapon Smith.  That dwarf must be able to reach both the building material and the construction site.

And remember, a moody dwarf has a job of "Strange Mood" rather than "No Job" and will not build his own workshop - you need to have another dwarf build the workshop, (temporarily) enabling an appropriate labor if necessary.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 01:19:34 pm »

- Can the dwarfs reach the construction site and the building material?  Perhaps you locked a door or something.

- Did you 'f'orbid the material that was to be used to construct the forge?  If you remember the type, you could go to the stocks screen and unforbid all stone.  Or, you can cancel the construction and build a new forge.

- Is construction suspended?  That's easy to check: just 'q' and hover over the forge.  Though, you won't see the yellow "Construction Inactive" message if it's suspended; it will just be a red "Construction Suspended" message.  So, this one is unlikely.

The material and anvil all apear to be fine.
I tried doing that first with a magma forge and then a regular one.
Its definatly construction inactive.
And yeah, Ihave fine people with metal smithing labours active and two with No Job but none are bothering with the forge which is accessible.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 02:11:53 pm »

You need an architect handy to design the forge before it can be constructed. But you said "requires any metalsmithing" which shouldn't show up until it's been designed.

Are you certain your smiths can access the construction site?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 02:23:06 pm »

Only smelters need architecture. If it says "Needs any metalsmithing" than it needs metalsmithing, not architecture.

Anyway, try again. The only possible issue I think is that your inactive metalsmiths can't reach the site. If the materials couldn't be reached from the construction site, then the construction couldn't be designated, so that's also unlikely.