Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: weapon suggestions  (Read 1441 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
weapon suggestions
« on: December 22, 2009, 12:16:17 pm »

rules for suggestions :
1)no guns
2)check that the weapon is not to samey
3)images help a lot.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: weapon suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:17:16 pm »

Chain whip
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
basicy a blunt whip.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:22:32 pm »

I'm positive there must have been a thousand threads like this already, and that the ideas here will all have been suggested a million times already, but okay, as a cheap, more balanced, early-game alternative to crossbows (which really shouldn't be the overpowered, readily available machine guns they are now), I want javelins.

The ability to throw axes, like, among others, the Vikings did, would be nice, too. I guess this would be toggled in the soldiering/hunting screen for each dwarf, or on the weapons screen.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:12:30 pm by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 12:40:28 pm »

Nunchaku
can be used to grip and lock limbs as well as srikeing.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 12:58:33 pm »

Hum, blunt with stuckins...
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:05:59 pm »

Emeici
finger baseds mini spears

Falcata
the forward-curving blade shape give it lots of momentum and a longer cuting length that a straight sword

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 01:09:15 pm »

I think all of these have been suggested before, but here goes anyway.

Not actually a weapon, but a way to treat weapons with some chemical at the Alchemist's shop would be nice.  Dip an arrow in some oil, shoot it past an open flame, and you get flaming arrows/bolts!  Another thing you could do with arrows is attach potions to them so that they create special effects where they land, for example a glue-like substance that makes a 3x3 area around the spot where the arrow/bolt landed difficult to move through for a while.

Poisons for blades would be cool, I'm sure it's been suggested a thousand times.  Spiked shields, too.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 01:15:00 pm »

Flaming arrows would be doable if the arrow interacts with temperature of every square in its travel path, and doesn't just arbitrarily skip X points per tick as it flies.

Poison-coated weapons are possible, you're just not inventive enough. Dump weapons into a 3x3 room. Put bucket/barrel/vial/glob of extracted contact poison in the center. Dump a single 1/7 tile of magma onto poison. Watch in awe as a cloud of death engulfs your weapons and gives them a nice coating as the poison condenses. Make sure your dwarves are wearing gloves when picking the things up afterwards.

Alternate route - find a creature that breathes contact poison, find armor that will completely protect your dwarves from said poison, put the thing in a special "prison" with a view on your squads' assembly room and let it do the work for you.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:16:57 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 03:24:43 pm »

Sarissa
Like a pike but more so. The real historical examples were only meant for formation fighting, but they never had to design a weapon for fighting against a hydra. The further you can get from a monster while in combat, the better.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 04:42:35 pm »

A bombard.

Also, any sort of hand-fighting weapon, like a cestus.

Finally, I'd like to see armor with blades or spikes all around it, made chiefly for wrestlers.  Deadly to spar in, even deadlier for the megabeasts being grappled by it.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 04:43:33 pm »

I would love to see more stone weapons, or just a stone axe and club that take a log + hard (but not brittle) stone as parts.  Obviously Giants and animal-man races would use these the most.

I suppose this thread is asking for more vanilla weapons, but here's an easy one to mod in now.

I changed axes to use ammo like crossbows and put throwing axes as the ammo.  It lead to some interesting weirdness (wooden and bone battleaxes) but other than that is a nice addition.  You could do the same for the other non bow weapons, but I don't see a need for it.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 04:54:03 pm by Foehamster »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 05:24:34 pm »

Don't leech images.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 09:13:29 pm »

I would love to see more stone weapons, or just a stone axe and club that take a log + hard (but not brittle) stone as parts.  Obviously Giants and animal-man races would use these the most.
Are simple slings in the game?
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 10:57:44 pm »

Tomahawks.
Double as a thrown stone weapon and a mele weapon.
What more could you want?

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Siru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 11:19:57 pm »

Cudgels and/or clubs.  :)
Pages: [1] 2