Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just getting started  (Read 1309 times)

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just getting started
« on: December 22, 2009, 09:08:08 am »

Hello everyone, Dwarf Fortress player new to the forums. I've not been playing the game long, but I've been learning quick so I figured I would have my first post here on the forms be about a Fortress I'm going to try to build. I really like the idea of controlling fluids and having them do what I want, so created a world and picked an area with the following search:

6x6 area with no aquifer, but with an underground river, magma pipe, and other in a medium temperature area. Was thinking of also going for flux, but I honestly just forgot to even look for it.

I ended up finding an area with 2 Biomes, and a visible above aground river. I don't see any exposed lava so it seems good to me to actually embark to.

Other specs of the area
Code: [Select]
Biome 1: The Laconic Fingers
Mountain
Temperature: Warm
Trees: None
Vegetation: None
Surroundings: Mirthful

Brook: Chipdance

Andesite
Phyllite
Granite

Code: [Select]
Biome 2: The Hill of Prices
Temperate Glassland
Temperature: Warm
Trees: Sparse
Vegetation: None
Surroundings: Untamed Wilds

Brook Chipdance

Silt
Andesite
Phyllite
Granite

I've also got for Neighbors Dwarves, Goblins, and Humans. Other details I will omit as I don't understand them really. As for the minerals? I hardly understand those other than to know that my own mum likes Granite tables and what not so I figure my dwarves will like them too.

For my 7 dwarves... HAH I finally get the joke now... I went ahead and picked all that are proficient in certain skills. That happens to be 2 miners, a wood cutter, a carpenter, a mason, a farmer, and a farmer/brewer. For gear, I picked 4 dogs, 4 cats, 2 horses, 2 copper picks, 1 steel battle axe, 1 iron anvil, 20 of each of the dwarven drinks, 21 plump helmet spawn, 5 pig tail seeds, 15 plump helmets, 32 various meats all priced at 2 pts, and 10 tower-cap logs.

For fun I named my group "The Mysterious Dog-Gang" with them heading out to build "Sunnydale"

Now, personally I'm experienced in games in general so this seems like a fairly good start to me, and I suspect that someone with more skill than me in DF could do amazing things with this map. Me though? I'll likely make some big mistakes and kill all my dwarves. Ah well what's that saying this game has? Anyways wish me luck.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just getting started
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 09:14:42 am »

3d view of the map I ended up with before I go and carve up the landscape:

3d view of where my dwarves embarked to. Seems decent to me. I'll start building near here.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:27:12 am »

Are you sure it's a temperate glassland? Never seen such a place, miself.  ;D

And 4 cats? They breed very quickly, you'll have 400 in no time. Other then that, the river is pretty well placed for a good plumbing system.

Good luck, and have fun.
"It's unpossible!"

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:29:59 am »

Ah the idiot that I am, I made a fairly big mistake already. I picked two guys to be my miners then went over to item selection and picked out a whole bunch of stuff and didn't actually train any one else... no wonder I have so much starting gear. Ah well I'll deal with it. grumble grumble.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 11:11:14 am »

You've never seen glass lands made from tempered glass? I think that's what it is... or wait... I don't see any glass here. I think the cartographer that gave me that initial report wrote it wrong.

Well, I seem to have an all right start going. Things are going a bit slowly with nobody but my miners having trained skills, but ehh... ah well. I'm getting a meat market set up right now while I plot in my head about how I'm going to expand this place. I'm hopping I get some new dwarves soon, as I hate having no idle dwarves and a bunch of things that need being done. Well I guess I hate it more when I have a whole bunch of idle dwarves and tasks still aren't getting done. I don't really know what is worse...

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 04:36:30 am »

After windows decided to reset on me while I was playing (because it felt it wanted to do an update) and I lost a bunch of work I did, I decided this was fate telling me to reset the map and get the proper starting gear.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 06:56:02 am »

I can't tell from the angle of the map you posted, but... is brook going over a waterfall or something there?
Magma is overrated.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 11:51:05 am »

4 cats was a mistake, one will do ya for all the vermin and it won't breed....  horses are meh, and those stones you have, well the most useful mineral you will get will be copper, don't get me wrong zinc, lead, gold, they are all great but a severe lack of iron will cripple a fortress eventually.  And lets face it, a warrior wearing copper plates for armor just isn't scary, I mean the kobolds use copper...
Nom nom nom

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 06:45:25 pm »

sneakey pete: Yes there is a waterfall on the map.

kilakan: Ya, considering that windows decided to restart on me, I'm rethinking my starting gear. I know I'm going to take some dwarves with skills at the very least.

As for the lack of iron, had not really even thought to consider that. My plan as I know a magma pipe is on the level somewhere, is to use that to help make some basic weapons. My main defense will be: Traps to capture guys, Mazes to slow them down, Water to drown the ones I want to loot, and Magma to deal with those that just need to die.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 09:22:40 pm »

aye well planned traps can overcome a lack of iron, however you also have no glass so even basic weapons for weapon traps will be difficult.
Nom nom nom

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 10:49:44 pm »

Glasslands sounds like a good megaproject: Cover the map in Glass. Clear Glass too, none of this silly green glass malarky.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 10:52:42 pm »

naw, crystal glass all the way.
Nom nom nom

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 11:29:17 pm »

Kilakan, he'll find plenty of goblinite ore which he can get Iron out of later. It isn't a problem.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 11:56:34 pm »

of course, if it's his first time goblinite ore might be mixed with, rampantslavite, and ogrite,  which will overflow his collection bins and rain poorly crafted death down on his dwarves.
Nom nom nom

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 01:48:47 am »

What about draginte?
Pages: [1] 2