Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I Can't Wait...  (Read 959 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I Can't Wait...
« on: December 22, 2009, 08:59:58 am »

Toady, you've revitalized my excitement for Christmas time. Why? You and your contemptible, yet reasonable release estimation. I haven't been excited simply because it is this time of the year in over a decade. You haunt my very dreams, long after I've paused my playing of Dwarf Fortress in favour of waiting for the next release.

I can pretend to be excited for other games, but Toady, you've got me hooked. The first hit is free *indeed*.

That said, who else is immensely excited? To the point they can't even play other games without fantasizing about that new release that will take us back to our first embark where we brought multiple cats thinking 'Man I love cats, they eat vermin!', or the first time we edited a raw or the init and thought 'man, I am now so hardcore. I made all the stone economic!'. That first construction 'experiment' that cost the life of your mayor, but magically the cook survived because a hole had been channeled in the gigantic 40x30 plate you just dropped on the courtyard. Or the first time you flooded your Fortress's basement with water/magma/prisoners/clowns.

Man I am so friggin' stoked.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
Re: I Can't Wait...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 09:20:05 am »

I can play other games okay, but when I'm in a games store all I can think of is how I'd much rather be buying DF.
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:22:08 am »

I'm worried that if the release is too deep into January, I won't have sated myself on all the new stuff before the birth of my 2nd child in March. Which could cause problems....

"Honey, it's time!!"
"But...but...I just broke through into a new cave system! Can't you drive yourself to the hospital, and I'll meet you there?"

Wife cancels Seek Infant: seeking frying pan.
RedKing has been struck down.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:24:13 am »

I think what you mean is

Wife cancels Seek Infant: seeking divorce papers

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:25:00 am »

EDIT: yeah, looking forward to it
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:27:31 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 11:35:36 am »

I went and saw Avatar yesterday. All I could think about while watching it is: "You know, this bit is a lot like Dwarf Fortress..."

How is it like DF you ask? Well, I'll tell you!
(WARNING: If you want to see the movie Avatar, and don't want it spoiled, don't click the spoiler.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 11:47:55 am »

Yea, I can't wait either.

Also, congrats to ya RedKing! :)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 05:06:37 pm »

I'm worried that if the release is too deep into January, I won't have sated myself on all the new stuff before the birth of my 2nd child in March. Which could cause problems....
Heh, that sounds oddly familiar..  Luckily for me, she's just as big of a DF fan as I am, so she completely understands :P
No plans for children at this time, so it's all good.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 05:29:03 pm »

Has this happened to anyone else? I can't create new fortresses, hell, I can barely look at current ones thanks to Dev Now and the upcoming release. I start playing and immediately start thinking of Cool Feature X.

The only one I can get excited about is the succession game I'm in at the moment. And even that will be fleeting once my turn has come and passed.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 06:42:21 pm »

I want to play DF, but I just keep thinking about how I'll have to redo everything when the new version comes out, even though I could have done several fortresses by now D:

I want it to come out so bad!
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 07:48:04 pm »

I want to try out my new ideas for automated water generation + obsidian casting + ice casting on a glacier, but i can't bring myself to generate enough worlds to find a magma pipe on a glacier. I'd have to do it all over again once the new version comes out anyways.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.