Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Immigrating away from your Fort  (Read 4664 times)

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
Immigrating away from your Fort
« on: December 22, 2009, 06:33:21 am »

I was thinking of how Dwarves immigrate to your fortress, but none of your dwarves ever seem to leave your own. My idea is that dwarves could become dissatisfied by their role in the fortress, and leave to pursue their dreams elsewhere.

This could be based on various factors such as whether it contains things that he likes, how valuable it is compared to other forts in the world, how often dwarves die and so on.

Depending on their personality, they might decide to head out on their own one day, or wait for a trader caravan and leave with them. Their personality might also affect their decision to leave in the first place.

I imagined that when they wanted to leave, you'd get an announcement along the lines of "Urist McImmigrant is planning a journey.", followed by "Urist McImmigrant is packing up his belongings." and finally "Urist McImmigrant has begun his journey." You could order your mayor or manager to try and convince them not to leave if they're a particularly valuable or likeable dwarf, with it being easier to convince them when they're just planning, and getting a lot harder with each subsequent stage. If they are physically stopped from leaving, they would go insane.

And once they've finally left the fort, there would be a random chance (based on skills and wounds at the time of departure) of them being added to a list of characters that would have the potential to immigrate to a fortress in the same world, even one of your own.

Searched, but couldn't find anything similar. Apologies if its been considered before.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrating away from your Fort
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 06:54:48 am »

This would be good as part of a wider immigration and economy upgrade.

There would be some amusing results if this was put straight into the current game version. I have a vision of a fort with economy started, high unemployment making lots of dwarfs leave, then as soon as the next season comes the population counter triggering them to come straight back again as a new immigrant.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:32:27 pm »

I believe this is contingent on overland movement in general, and I think that's planned with the caravan arc if not before.

As it is, immigrants are generated when they arrive on the map. At such time as they're actual units, which come from another civilization site to your fortress, emigration will be possible as well.

The main problem I can see with it is being deprived of key workers. Maybe dwarves will only leave if they're inferior in some skill the fortress has a surplus of? (i.e. they're spending time idle or otherwise not doing their skilled labours)
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 12:37:22 pm »

Emigrants and refugees would be a realistic thing to have, but hard to balance - the reason people leave/flee your fortress in the first place would probably most often be that it's not doing well, in which case it could very easily develop into a twisted circle - the more you're attacked and need replacements for casualties, the more your people will flee.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 01:26:25 pm »

Quote from: Safe-Keeper
... in which case it could very easily develop into a twisted circle - the more you're attacked and need replacements for casualties, the more your people will flee.

That's not much different to tantrum spirals. Nobody ever said that the game had to be nice.

One thing that could make the outgoing migrants incredibly unfair, but also more realistic, would be if they took their families with them. Out of work cheesemaker married to your only legendary weaponsmith? Find them work immediately, before they try to convince their family to go.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:32:25 pm »

Well, it might depend on how happy the successful ones are vs how unhappy the others are.

And don't forget the kids. Maybe children will eventually have a "Play with toys" job that they'll be made unhappy if they can't satisfy... and if the kids are unhappy enough, not only that bunch, but some of their friends, too, might pack up and move for greener uh... greyer... tunnels. Or something.

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 05:05:25 pm »

That's not much different to tantrum spirals.
...which everybody hates.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 10:42:58 pm »

I quite enjoy a good tantrum spiral... It illustrates the importance of never being friendly... ever.

But there is one major difference from a tantrum spiral... every one of your dwarves who is friends with the dwarf will not get a "Lost a friend/lover/child due to tragedy" thought.

This would really cause an emigration spiral to be much harder to create.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

SSBR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 12:17:08 am »

This would really cause an emigration spiral to be much harder to create.
Emigration during a siege.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 02:35:17 am »

Someone would have to be pretty much literally insane to TRY to emigrate during a siege. It makes perfect sense for emigration to be disabled during siege status - but being stuck there when they want to leave might give would-be migrants a further unhappy thought.

SSBR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 02:38:47 am »

I think I liked it better when there was the remote possibility of watching emigrants get slaughtered for their petty grievances.

I don't think it's all that unreasonable, anyway. If you've forbidden them from going outside, or raised the drawbridges and closed the doors, they'd get blocked. If they really want to emigrate, there's nothing stopping them. People in real life have attempted to flee cities in situations like these, and dwarves are of course tougher than humans. They can handle it.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 03:24:19 am »

There's no reason that this shouldn't be in; it's only the logical thing.

It would also give more importance to the mayor's personality traits as she attempts to talk them out of leaving.

Of course, after inter-fortress relationships are fleshed out with the caravan and army arcs, if your fortress is the Mountainhome, it would be in your advantage to allow, even encourage, dwarves to emigrate to a fledgling outpost so that you can reap the rewards of its trade.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 05:19:00 am »

I think emigrating from the fortress should be added to the babbling/melancholy/berserk pool.  It would make sense for a person who fails to find the materials they need for an artifact to leave in search of it, or for someone who's miserable to simply embark because of depression. 

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 05:25:12 am »

I think I liked it better when there was the remote possibility of watching emigrants get slaughtered for their petty grievances.

You could always exile people as well. I mean if they get to choose to leave I want a way to force soapmakers the useless to go.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Zeddwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 02:23:58 pm »

Extremely unhappy or enraged dwarves should rennounce the Fortress, becoming 'neutral' (or even 'enemy') creatures that try to leave the map.

This should be the case with Vampire dwarves entombed in sealed rooms with rotting clothes, no access to clothes, etc.
Pages: [1] 2