Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get rid of clutter stone and save some FPS?  (Read 3336 times)

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get rid of clutter stone and save some FPS?
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:29:52 am »

Okay, my fortresss reached a population of 78 and with my 5x5 z-level heavy, magma + water map I'm starting to see a drop in FPS, so now I want to offset the drop somehow. Seeing that my stone stocks are reaching 10 000 soon and since I'm going for a mostly underground fortress, I think its time to get rid of some of the stone, since I don't have a use for it anyway and all that clutter is bound to drag my FPS down somewhat. At the same time I don't want to hold up my dwarves with unnecessary work for meta-gaming reasons.

So, my question is, is there a utility or hack somewhere that somehow allows me to rid my self of this plague of stone? Any tricks in getting rid of it?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get rid of clutter stone and save some FPS?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 05:42:59 am »

10k stone shouldn't be enough to seriously affect your FPS.  More likely you've got flowing water or magma.  Or lots of animals pathing around.

But to answer your question, the easiest ways are the Atom Smasher and magma.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:54:05 am »

Using atom smasher requires dwarves to haul the stones first. If you have excess haulers, then it is OK. Another way is to flood your mine shafts with magma, then drain it. If you just don't want to see the stone, then you can hide them (k-h or d-b-h).

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:26:26 am »

Flood the stone containing squares with magma then they melt away and no longer cause problems.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:37:59 am »

The easiest way to eliminate stone to to vaporize it by giving it a boiling point at 10,000.

However, this will vaporize artificts, furniture, and goods made of that stone. It's better to plan your forts so that you never use common layer stones and instantly vaporize them, and instead make use of the rare ones.

With magma, turn off temperature unless you specifically want to melt something.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 11:03:28 am »

Build between 4 and 8 craftsdorf workshops around a quantum stone stockpile and have them churn out crafts on repeat. 
??? magma or caravans or something...
Profit. 

Just make sure you have infinite bins or the hauling will get nasty fast. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:30:29 pm »

Massive block-making party....

Blocks can be stored in bins.

Blocks can be used to create higher value above ground constructions.

Otherwise, atom smashers and a couple stonecrafters (stonecrafts weigh less than stone and thus are easier to move).
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 02:01:56 pm »

Anymore I try to design my forts with the idea that every level will be flooded with magma prior to use.  I will design the level, set the miners loose, designate all gems, ore, and useful stone to be dumped, then flood the level with magma then drain it.  It takes a little planning and time, but it is quite the dwarvenly method of stone removal don't you think?  It also leaves an emergency 'defense' method in the case that you are required to fill your fort with magma... Just make sure the lever to start the pumps/open gates is properly secured (I usually use a raising bridge over a channel so that it requires a lever to be pulled to drop the bridge to allow access to the FTW lever, this way the chance of a pissed off dwarf/marauding monkey pulling the lever is reduced greatly).
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:08:39 pm »

Wouldn't it be simpler to lock a door? Then you should only fear of trolls, and if trolls are in your fortress, then probably it's the best to flood it with magma.

Or do tantruming dwarves destroy doors?

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 02:42:51 pm »

Yes, they destroy doors.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 02:49:18 pm »

I prefer tossing them into magma or chasms. That, at least, feels non-cheaty.

I just can't wait for proper mechanisms, like minecarts and elevators and so forth. Then I'd be able to mine human-style, and haul rock out the mines to be piled in a gigantic spoil heap.
And if they take away quantum dumps, I will simply build silos.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 10:09:58 pm »

Tossing them into the bottomless tiles of the magma vent or bottomless pit or w/e would be the simplest way, however it'll take a good long while, if everyone is hauling though, then it shouldn't take TOO long, but ya...

Atom Smasher can be quick if you build it near the stone to be destroyed, but if you aren't just a little bit careful, you could atom smash a dwarf/pet.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!