Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Hey Buddy! How you doing?" "What!? Who are you!?"  (Read 2423 times)

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
"Hey Buddy! How you doing?" "What!? Who are you!?"
« on: December 22, 2009, 04:48:40 am »

Friendship is really weird in dwarf fortress, for example my dungeon master has the carpenter marked as his only friend, yet he doesn't even show up as a "passing acquaintance" for the carpenter (the carpenter doesn't know him). Which frankly creeps me out. Some weird fellow you don't even know with a fascination for dangerous animals, who calls himself "the dungeon master" and who often walks around wearing 5 cloaks, one sock and nothing else thinking you are his best friend? The only thing creepier would be if the dungeon master had done some jail time.
Also, the carpenter is a pretty public figure, being friends with alot of important legendaries in my fort, although a few of them died a long while ago.
(The dungeon master also has the "avoids crowds" trait, is self conscious and doesn't experience cravings or urges. Truly, he is a miserable, crazed, lonely man who is dead inside.)

The first screen of the dungeon master and carpenters relationship status.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: "Hey Buddy! How you doing?" "What!? Who are you!?"
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:53:25 am »

Huh. I wonder if this really is true, and not, forgive me for suggesting this but someone would anyway, not a mistake by your part.

Would make sense though for the game to simulate the age old "I'm his best buddy!" "Who what now? I don't even like the guy" thing of relationships.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 08:11:23 am »

I've actually experienced the phenomenon of non-mutual friendships before as well.

Although, that friendships show up as non-mutual might actually be a glitch in the display, perhaps resulting from a failure to update constantly. For example, I often see that nickname changes don't always take effect immediately in the screens of other dwarves.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 08:14:50 am »

But doesn't it take a bit of time for a relationship of two dwarves to go from Passing Acquaintance all the way to Friends or above?

Doesn't seem that likely if one guy considers the other a friend, and the other does not.

Unless they are like long lost twins or something along those lines.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 10:13:10 am »

I have seen it also.  The first time I saw it, I posted about it.  By the time I got done discussing it here, it had vanished so I thought I must have been mistaken after all.  However, I have seen it several times since.

The only thing I can think of is that it might reflect a differing ability between two Dwarves to make friends.  If one makes friends very easily, and the other makes friends with great difficulty, one social meeting between the two might cause an imbalance of this type.  Then it would disappear the next time things were counted up, speaking programming-wise.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 11:20:04 am »

The DM seems to always make friends slowly. My current DM is "comfortable in social situations", "very friendly", "relaxed", and "greatly appreciates art and natural beauty", has a fair bit of free time now that I've produced so many bars that my 9x9 bar stockpile is overflowing, and has no friends. The only negative trait he has is he's "often nervous" (which is strange considering he's also relaxed).

I think the DM is hard coded to be a bit of a loner. Doesn't explain the half friendships though, except that it tends to be more common for dwarves who don't have many friends to begin with.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 03:16:46 pm »

Do DMs still strut about with nothing but 19 capes and a glove on?  That would make it tough to meet new folks.
I brake for stumble bumblings

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 05:02:41 pm »

In the current version, yes.

Toady said they and other nobles will lose certain quirks in the new release though.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 08:00:10 pm »

Its a freaking AWSOME quirk.
Should really keep it.

Some of my DM's seem to make friends very fast...
Prob cos i left them alone for quite a bit till i had his home and stuff done.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 09:23:54 pm »

Do DMs still strut about with nothing but 19 capes and a glove on?  That would make it tough to meet new folks.

Please let the glove be covering something.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 10:27:03 pm »

Nope, gloves only go on hands.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 10:33:23 pm »

maybe he has some of the cloaks on backwards?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 10:53:34 pm »

Maybe some of the cloaks are tiny cloaks.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 11:41:45 pm »

Maybe the DM thinks he's Michael Jackson, and dwarves are little bearded children.

I love how this thread derailed.

I have found it odd, though, that the non-mutual relationships can occurr. This does happen in real life, too, though.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 11:56:05 pm »

The only way this mental image could get more absurd is if he was armless. Or legless. Or both.
Pages: [1] 2