Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39

Author Topic: Christmas Mafia: End - final gift  (Read 59402 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Mafia: Day 1 - Christmas Eve
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2009, 05:36:58 pm »

He didn't add anything new when he voted me.  In addition, he didn't offer any explanation of his ideas until I pressed him.  Also, he hasn't suggested a better course of action, and is just bashing me.

I'll reiterate: Scrooge is not yet a threat. There is the potential of him turning, but the Grinches are a much, much bigger problem than that is.
I'm not saying he necessarily is.  However, catching him would be a bonus, yes?

Maybe. Assuming he doesn't convert to town.

That's the thing about the Scrooge, it's kind of a wild card. He's great to get rid of if he ends up Grinch or SK, meh if he's survivor, and counterproductive if he switches to town.

I'm really not sure it's worth targeting him
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2009, 06:03:21 pm »

I'd still say he's mainly anti-town... I mean, would you want a wildcard like him around at lylo?

Anyway, as for letters... well, my original plan doesn't work so well due to me misunderstanding the rules, but I still suggest that we be very, very careful with the letters we send out, in case the grinches end up stealing a vig kill or something.

Or we could try sending one letter each so, if we do send it to scum, they won't be able to steal without being incriminated.

Now, I'm actually beginning to worry about our lurker population.  I'm kinda getting the feeling that scum are staying silent and hoping I'll get lynched at the end of the day regardless.  Silent people, come down here and give your views.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2009, 08:28:57 pm »

Humbug, I say. Watching...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2009, 08:45:22 pm »

What's lylo? I assume it's the last round, right? 1 'y'..villager, 1 ...'o'ther?
Wait, that doesn't make sense. Someone just tell me, please.

Also what kind of question am I supposed to ask? I really can't think of one where a town and scum would give different answers; as the questions are not role-related (they are hypotheticals), town would clearly answer what the truly felt, and scum would answer the same (meaning what they truly felt) in order to act like town. And I think that either some people would give the same answer if they said what they really thought, which means that scum can indeed say what they truly think and get away with it, or there will be total variation, which means that scum can still say what they truly feel and get away with it)
I mean, let's look at it as an experiment. Adam is scum, Bob, Charlie, and David are town. The question is what's your favorite color; I know this is a dumb question but I hope you can see the analogy.
SCENARIO 1: Everyone loves red - no variation
David asks Adam what's his favorite color. Adam just says what he really thinks - red - and looks like town.
SCENARIO 2: Some variation
Adam and Bob like red, Charlie and David like blue.
David asks Adam what's his favorite color. Adam says what he really thinks - red - and looks like the town Bob.
SCENARIO 3: Total variation
Adam likes red, Bob likes orange, Charlie likes yellow, David lieks mudkips.
David asks Adam what's his favorite color. Adam says what he really thinks - red - and since there is total variation, it's impossible to group scum into one category and town into another.

That explanation was a bit weird. Let me put it another way: If town can answer the question "well", meaning that it makes them look like town, scum can do the same thing. Scum have all the knowledge that town has, and more. The only thing I can think of is that being scum floods you with some sort of crazy raging hormonal imbalance and you are unable to answer the simplest of questions with anything more than a drooling blubber or whatnot.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2009, 08:52:35 pm »

There are a lot of scum hunting techniques, but the basic technique is to look for inconsistencies in how people approach things. Scum are afraid of dying, so they're usually more cautious then townies. Scum also know who's scum, and unless they are careful they'll give off little hints about that.

You're right, a talented and careful scum will show up as completely town. But the fact is most people aren't that good. They slip up, they get nervous when someone accuses them, they try not to get their scum buddies lynched, stuff like that.

Totally meaningless questions are usually just a way to get people talking. Once there are things to quote, people will usually randomly attack someone for even really minor stupid stuff, just to see how the other person reacts to it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2009, 09:10:33 pm »

Oh, yes, I see.

Well then, Mephansteras, my scummy friend, are you not a Mafia who wishes to be a cop? For I see, and I know that your name does indeed anagram to what you wish most to be, a PHANTASM SEER! And my mind's eye tells me that you are indeed a manta ray, that most vile of creatures (as shown by the ungodly electric manta boss in Super Mario Sunshine), one who does not provide for himself but instead filter-feeds, mooching on the necrotic debris of the ocean! For indeed I see that you have MANTA'S HERPES!

Therefore, my dear lad, tell me, why are you such things? Why do you wish to be a cop and why are you such a scumbag?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2009, 09:15:25 pm »

Also I would like to apologize; I did not sufficiently unvote Mr. Person, though I do have the finger of suspicion on Mr. Person until he tells me why he's a grinch. But as he's not online, and has not been, I would like to focus on why our good friend Mephansteras is a grinch instead.

And oh, Mephansteras. In addition to my other accusations, why are you being so mean? Is it to try to get me lynched? I quote:

You're right, a talented and careful scum will show up as completely town. But the fact is most people aren't that good. They slip up, they get nervous when someone accuses them, they try not to get their scum buddies lynched, stuff like that.

Totally meaningless questions are usually just a way to get people talking. Once there are things to quote, people will usually randomly attack someone for even really minor stupid stuff, just to see how the other person reacts to it.

Mephansteras you are so cruel

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2009, 09:19:13 pm »

lylo = LYnch or LOse

It means that if the town doesn't lynch a mafia that day then they will lose.  Example:

5 town, 1 scum.. it's a normal day.  If you lynch a townie, the game will continue.

2 town, 1 scum.. if you lynch a townie, or even No Lynch, then the mafia will kill one of the townies the following night, leaving it at 1 scum/1 town-a mafia win.

Lylo doesn't have to be the Last day; 3 town 2 scum = Lylo, but if you lynch a scum, the game isn't over. 

There's another term: Mylo.. MisLynch and Lose.  It means that you cannot lynch a townie BUT you can NoLynch.  3 town 1 scum is an example.  Typically, the town will No Lynch if this happens.

As for how a town will act differently from a scum.. you'd THINK that both can answer exactly the same..but that's not true at all.

Scum and Town have completely different mentalities in how they approach this game.  Townies know nothing about who is town and who is scum, they know that if they don't find the scum they will lose, and they know there's many of them so dying isn't a big deal.

Scum know almost everything (aka, they know almost everyone is town), they don't really care about who is lynched so long as they live (yes, killing a townie is great, but that's what Night Kills are for), and there's only 2 of them, so there's not much room for sacrificing.

This means that, no matter how everyone WANTS to act the same, your very reason for posting will NOT be the same. 

i.e. Assume I'm playing.  Litia goes to accuse me for being scum.

Town-Litia does not know if I'm scum or town.  She does know that if she doesn't find the scum she'll lose.  Thus she's going to make SURE she knows what I am before leaving me alone.  Even if it means I accuse her back, her death is OK if it means scum die for it.  So she's going to push, and push hard.  If she decides I'm town, she'll pull out fast so she can focus on what's important.  if she decides I'm scum, she'd rather be dead than leave me alone.

Scum-Litia already knows what I am; town.  She knows that lynching me means that she's lynching a townie.  She knows every "You are scum" statement is a bold-faced LIE.  She knows that that if I accuse her that I would be right.  To her, honestly, I could die.. or someone else, or the town can NoLynch.. who cares since I could just be NKed later if she really wants me gone.

You honestly think their posts will be the exact same?  No.. not even close.  Think of when you lie to another.. can you honestly, HONESTLY say that you show NO sign of lying?  I'm doubtful. 

Scum TRUE desire is to 'look like town' and to 'survive the day'.  Thus what they'll say will reflect that.  Townies speak in order to scumhunt.  Mafia speaks so to convince you that they aren' lynch worthy.  Even the best mafia players can't cover that perfectly, and to be honest, none of us are the best.

So how does that relate to questions like "What color do you like?"  Well, some people can use that question to read others, like how a Psycologist reads you with ink blots.  If you can't then don't ask people that question.  Instead, you should think of something, ANYTHING, that will make a person talk... make a person express themselves..in any way.  Get people talking.. babbling.. ANYTHING... until you can point to them and say: I know who you are.

In fact, do NOT let Day 1 end until you can point to each person and say: "You play like this..."

After that, take note of the ones that are passive.. are defensive.. don't seem that interested in hunting mafia.. or just seem like they are too busy trying to make you feel like they are town...AND ATTACK!
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2009, 09:21:07 pm »

Unvote

Leafsnail
, why are you so focused on finding the scrooge? He isn't the problem (at least not at the moment) - the grinches are. Moreover, it seems you are trying to break the system, and Dakarian said that isn't a good plan. You also keep trying to draw the helper out, which is favorable to the grinches because they don't even have to counter-claim, they just NK him.
Why are you against system failure?

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2009, 09:27:16 pm »

Also I would like to apologize; I did not sufficiently unvote Mr. Person, though I do have the finger of suspicion on Mr. Person until he tells me why he's a grinch. But as he's not online, and has not been, I would like to focus on why our good friend Mephansteras is a grinch instead.

If you forget to Unvote.. don't worry about it: I'll catch it fine.  Unvoting makes it easier, but it's not required here.
I KNEW IT!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2009, 09:36:54 pm »

Ah, all right.

I am with Leafsnail on breaking the system. I mean, even if Dakarian says it's not a good plan, if I can find some way game my way into winning, by Jove I'll do it. No offense intended to Dakarian, but saying the game is foolproof is like daring someone to break it.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2009, 09:57:33 pm »

The goal if the host is to make sure the game doesn't break in a way they don't want it to.

The goal if the player is to break the game in a way that benefits them.

I find no offense if you wish to try to break the system.  I just believe that it will burn you HORRIBLY. ;)

Note: You CAN ask me any question you have about the system.  This isn't a Bastard Mod.  I'll explain everything fully.
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2009, 10:04:08 pm »

RandomNumberGenerator[2]: Akigagak, Leafsnail
Mephansteras[2]: Webadict, Cheddarius
Sonearage[1]: Kashyyk
RedWarrior0[1]: Zai
Kashyyk[1]: Sonearage
Akigagak[1]: RedWarrior0
Leafsnail[3]: Mephansteras, Mr.Person, RandomNumberGenerator

Not Voting: Pandarsenic

Deadline: Wednesday, 9pm EST

Remember, you only get this day to send your letters.
I KNEW IT!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2009, 10:09:33 pm »

I'd still say he's mainly anti-town... I mean, would you want a wildcard like him around at lylo?

Anyway, as for letters... well, my original plan doesn't work so well due to me misunderstanding the rules, but I still suggest that we be very, very careful with the letters we send out, in case the grinches end up stealing a vig kill or something.

Or we could try sending one letter each so, if we do send it to scum, they won't be able to steal without being incriminated.

Now, I'm actually beginning to worry about our lurker population.  I'm kinda getting the feeling that scum are staying silent and hoping I'll get lynched at the end of the day regardless.  Silent people, come down here and give your views.
Mainly anti-town? Ehh... I would disagree. Even though a Survivor isn't pro-town, he would usually favor a town victory over a scum victory(because a town victory gives him a better chance of surviving), and that is the most likely outcome. Pro-Town and Pro-Mafia has the same chance, and getting an SK scrooge is the rarest possibility of them all.

Unvote

Leafsnail
, why are you so focused on finding the scrooge? He isn't the problem (at least not at the moment) - the grinches are. Moreover, it seems you are trying to break the system, and Dakarian said that isn't a good plan. You also keep trying to draw the helper out, which is favorable to the grinches because they don't even have to counter-claim, they just NK him.
Why are you against system failure?
Pardon? I don't understand what you're asking.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2009, 10:44:04 pm »

Oh, yes, I see.

Well then, Mephansteras, my scummy friend, are you not a Mafia who wishes to be a cop? For I see, and I know that your name does indeed anagram to what you wish most to be, a PHANTASM SEER! And my mind's eye tells me that you are indeed a manta ray, that most vile of creatures (as shown by the ungodly electric manta boss in Super Mario Sunshine), one who does not provide for himself but instead filter-feeds, mooching on the necrotic debris of the ocean! For indeed I see that you have MANTA'S HERPES!

Therefore, my dear lad, tell me, why are you such things? Why do you wish to be a cop and why are you such a scumbag?

Hehe. Teach me to be helpful, huh? :P

And, no, I'm neither mafia nor wishing to be a cop.

You do get points for one of the more amusing random votes I've seen in a while.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39