Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39

Author Topic: Christmas Mafia: End - final gift  (Read 59382 times)

Sonearage

• Bay Watcher
  • ...mwaw...
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Mafia: Day 1 - Christmas Eve
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 11:28:02 am »

Sonearage I haven't seen you play mafia recently. Would you prefer to be the real Santa or a Grinch?
I'd prefer to be santa so i can give people coal (or presents)
Kashyyk: Do you want to be a grinch? Or maybe Scrooge?

"They kept on telling him that he was 'Unfashionable, Dahling! that *Pig Tail Tunic* is sooo last Granite.' and then, when they finished their depraved acts of "beauty" on him, they all said 'FAHBULOS, DAHLING!'"

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 11:37:07 am »

I'd have to be a Scrooge to become an SK, which I am not. But if I was, you can sure as hell bet I'd try to become an SK.

Also, I think, having seen the arguments, a Helper Claim has no real downside.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 11:37:49 am »

(Edit: Other than the death of the helper, obviously, in exchange for a Grinch. But really, 1 scum for 1 power townie? Yes please).
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 11:43:10 am »

And of course I didn't get a role.

Akigagak, why is that?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 11:51:52 am »

(Edit: Other than the death of the helper, obviously, in exchange for a Grinch. But really, 1 scum for 1 power townie? Yes please).
And how would that work exactly? I don't see how we would find a Grinch from that. Of course, if a Helper claims, then the Grinches will probably kill them that night, preventing them from passing the letters onto Santa.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 12:25:04 pm »

Mephansteras: If I were to carry a hammer around with me, hitting in loose nails, while a train leaving Chicago travels 55 MPH, how many oranges would fit into a 5-pound jar, given that the angular velocity of your left foot is approaching infinity?

Also, find the hidden code.

You're really having fun asking me weird questions, aren't you?

I have deciphered the code and determined that it told me to eat an orange today. That sounds like a good plan, as oranges are tasty.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 12:28:22 pm »

Mephansteras: If I were to carry a hammer around with me, hitting in loose nails, while a train leaving Chicago travels 55 MPH, how many oranges would fit into a 5-pound jar, given that the angular velocity of your left foot is approaching infinity?

Also, find the hidden code.

You're really having fun asking me weird questions, aren't you?

I have deciphered the code and determined that it told me to eat an orange today. That sounds like a good plan, as oranges are tasty.
Yes. Oranges are tasty. Chocolate oranges as well. I'll be back though. I'll be back!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 12:30:44 pm »

Personally, I think Helper role claiming would be a bad idea. A grinch could easily do it and then either steal or stop everybody else from getting their presents. Unless Santa role claimed, and (dis)proved the 'helper' but then he'd get NK'd. So it's just a bad idea in my opinion.
But we know there's a helper, so if a Grinch claimed it, the helper (not santa) could CC.  We could then trade one for one, which is a pretty good deal for us, especially with 2 scum and 9 townies.
RNG, I went by this but your point makes sense.

Instead of responding, I shall play Monster Hunter. I have a Tigrex Skull Shell to obtain.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 12:31:49 pm »

Leafsnail, what do you think about the idea of the Helper claiming, given what RandomNumberGenerator said?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 01:10:32 pm »

I s'pose. But I still don't like the idea, as we lose a good role.
I guess the helper has to survive, but if the mafia kill him, Santa is at least guarenteed survival.  Also, if everyone's forced to send a letter to the helper, it guarentees that Scrooge won't become a grinch.

Leafsnail, what do you think about the idea of the Helper claiming, given what RandomNumberGenerator said?
I think it would be a good idea, personally.  It would prevent the Scrooge from becoming a grinch (he'd have to send one to the confirmed helper) or would draw us out a grinch.  Now, another thing: I reckon each of us should send exactly ONE letter to the claimed helper.  The Scrooge, however, would be forced to send at least two letters.

If the second letter goes to a townie, the Scrooge becomes town.  If the second letter goes to a Grinch, Scrooge becomes an SK, BUT there is an interesting caveat.  The mafia will know who the SK is and the SK will know who one member of the mafia is, so there's a good chance they'll take each other out.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 01:20:19 pm »

Leafsnail, there's a glaring hole in your plan. You act as though the Grinches know who Scrooge is. They don't. Sure, if Scrooge becomes an sk he'd know one of the scum and would shoot em, but how would the Grinches know who's an sk or not? Well, they could just kill everyone who sends them a letter, just to make sure.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 01:20:45 pm »

Quote from: Rules
In this game, there is also a Helper.  The Helper helps by collecting letters.  Any letter the Helper collects will be as if it is sent to Santa.  Santa will be sent the letters the helper receives in time for his List writing.  The helper does not try to send a letter to santa but will always receive a generic-1-shot present instead.  Note that the Helper has to survive to the end of the first night for those letters to reach Santa.

I think that's the only potential flaw in your plan. If we all send a single letter to the Helper, and he gets killed off by the Grinch, then we've either got a Scrooge as a Survivor (not a threat, since someone will know who it is) , a town scrooge, or a Scrooge who is Mafia and they'll know who each other are. Also means that no one is getting a special role from Santa, but that might be worth it.

Might still be worth it, though, since if no one is sending letters to anyone other then the Helper the Grinch can't intercept anything except maybe the Scrooge.
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 01:27:02 pm »

Leafsnail, there's a glaring hole in your plan. You act as though the Grinches know who Scrooge is. They don't. Sure, if Scrooge becomes an sk he'd know one of the scum and would shoot em, but how would the Grinches know who's an sk or not? Well, they could just kill everyone who sends them a letter, just to make sure.
If we all send one letter, only Scrooge will send a second.  Hence if the scum received a letter they'd KNOW it's Scrooge.  And they'd know Scrooge's other letter is going to Santa's helper, so they know Scrooge is about to become an SK.  Similarly, from the fact he's become an SK, Scrooge would know the second person he sent a letter to is a Grinch.

e've either got a Scrooge as a Survivor (not a threat, since someone will know who it is) , a town scrooge, or a Scrooge who is Mafia and they'll know who each other are. Also means that no one is getting a special role from Santa, but that might be worth it.
No.  Scrooge will be forced to send a letter to the Helper or get lynched (the helper can tell us who hasn't sent them a letter) which means he can't become a survivor or a mafia member.  He could become an SK, but this would involve revealing himself as an SK to the mafia, so he'd probably try to become town.

Also means that no one is getting a special role from Santa, but that might be worth it.
To be honest, the conditions are already kinda favourable to us.  9 town should be able to beat 2 mafia, really, even without PRs.  Also, the damage caused from the Scrooge's receiving roles is a lot less than the damage caused by them stealing roles.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »

I don't think you understand the point that I was making. If the Helper gets NK'd, the letters don't reach Santa, which means that the Scrooge can't become an SK. He becomes whatever his second letter has him become. So, probably just survivor with a small chance of being either Town (his second letter goes to Santa) or Mafia (his second letter goes to the Grinch).

Assuming he only sent two letters, of course.
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 01:31:50 pm »

Ugh, that's a pain.  I still think there might be some way to trap Scrooge, though, as he's the only one forced to send 2 letters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39