Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Surely someone's noticed this before...  (Read 4455 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Surely someone's noticed this before...
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2009, 08:03:03 pm »

I found it really interesting to read Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle Earth, whaere he ran thoruogh all his father's rough drafts to tell the story of the evolution if LOTR.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2009, 11:28:04 pm »

I found it really interesting to read Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle Earth, whaere he ran thoruogh all his father's rough drafts to tell the story of the evolution if LOTR.

Yeah, it was really interesting to see that certain scenes were word-for-word from the first draft, but in a completely different place. I especially liked the "story seen from here" parts.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 11:35:52 pm »

You're missing a couple there.  Mostly that one about the jewels.
Silmarillion? Not just the jewels, the history of the motherfucking world.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2009, 11:52:29 pm »

And the creation myths too, don't forget.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 12:11:52 am »

But mostly the jewels. The most beautiful, radiant, perfect jewels in the history of ever and all time.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2009, 11:40:20 am »

While I never read all of Tolkien's books, I have read the Hobbit and LOTR of course, the Silmarillion, Children of Hurin and started on Unfinished Tales. Children of Hurin was a bit redundant, I thought, as the entire story was covered in the Silmarillion.

I do plan to read some of his other books though... some day. I have such a huge list of books I want to read that while they're on there, they are superseded by Dracula and Lolita, among many others.

Like Citizen of the Galaxy. Or Black Company. And V for Vendetta.. read it a few times but I want to read it again. A Clockwork Orange, Wheel of Time.... I'll be back later.
This is to make me recognizable.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 02:17:40 pm »

The Silmarillion: an epic tale of a world so ADD not even the gods can resist shinies!

Melkor: I hate the light and everything good becau... OMG SHINIES!!! MUST HAVE!!!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2009, 02:39:35 pm »

Fail.

Melkor == Ainu
Eru == god
Ainur != Eru

Therefore,
Melkor != god

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2009, 04:33:33 pm »

He's a lowercase g.  In the great tradition of the greek pantheon.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2009, 04:42:09 pm »

I do plan to read some of his other books though... some day. I have such a huge list of books I want to read that while they're on there, they are superseded by Dracula and Lolita, among many others.

Like Citizen of the Galaxy. Or Black Company. And V for Vendetta.. read it a few times but I want to read it again. A Clockwork Orange, Wheel of Time.... I'll be back later.

A Clockwork Orange shan't take you long. It's a very short book, but it still has quite an impact.  I almost threw up on the Tube when reading part of it, tee hee.

Come to think of it one part reminds me of Dwarf Fortress a lot.  I shan't spoil it for you, but Alex is locked in a room at the top of a skyscraper and forced to jump out the window.  Sounds like many, many of my poor dwarves when building walls...
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2009, 09:32:56 pm »

Only the largest branch. Some of Salavatore's work owes very little, and, of course, Harry Potter owes next to nothing.

I'm assuming you mean R.A Salvatore.  I haven't read much of his work but isn't it mostly Forgotten Realms stuff; which is a D&D setting?

There's a huge list of authors in the back of one of the 1st edition D&D books.  I should get to reading some of them.  I guess a good rule of thumb for avoiding Tolkien-influenced fantasy is to read anything that was published before the 1950s.
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2009, 02:36:55 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:14:06 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 09:46:11 pm »

Only the largest branch. Some of Salavatore's work owes very little, and, of course, Harry Potter owes next to nothing.

I'm assuming you mean R.A Salvatore.  I haven't read much of his work but isn't it mostly Forgotten Realms stuff; which is a D&D setting?

There's a huge list of authors in the back of one of the 1st edition D&D books.  I should get to reading some of them.  I guess a good rule of thumb for avoiding Tolkien-influenced fantasy is to read anything that was published before the 1950s.
Most of his novels are FR, but he also wrote a series called Demon Wars that had no dwarves, the Elves were completely different from Tolkien, and magic came from (supposedly)sacred gems.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2009, 11:39:33 am »

But mostly the jewels. The most beautiful, radiant, perfect jewels in the history of ever and all time.
And what were the odds of getting three matching artifact jewels?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2009, 01:56:34 pm »

a million to one, but a million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4