Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Potential artifacts per profession/workshop/base material(s)  (Read 3498 times)

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
Potential artifacts per profession/workshop/base material(s)
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:21:47 pm »

What determines the possible artifacts for a given mood? It seems to be the base material, but the possibilities for that seem to be determined by the workshop the dwarf claims. I say the workshop and not the dwarf because I once switched a dwarf's mood from gem cutting to weaponsmith, in the hopes that I would get a sapphire war hammer or something. However, this is further muddied by the fact that it seems possible to change the base material to something other than the default (at least when using Dwarf Companion).

Add to all this the fact that I had a gem setter who kept making Perfect Emeralds (among other things) but my gem cutters don't seem to make perfect gems...

I've always messed around with my moods though, so I can't really say. Does anyone actually know what determines possible artifacts?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Potential artifacts per profession/workshop/base material(s)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 08:12:23 pm »

There is quite a bit that is known about moods: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Mood

As far as messing with the moods via Dwarf Companion, no idea.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:21:59 pm »

This didn't really give me a lot of info on what artifacts are possible from what moods. It just confirms that they generally follow common sense (weaponsmiths making weapons, etc).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:30:11 pm »

Well, I've gotten a bone mace once, as well as a bone bin. Artifacts will often be one of the dwarfs preferences.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 12:53:10 am »

This didn't really give me a lot of info on what artifacts are possible from what moods. It just confirms that they generally follow common sense (weaponsmiths making weapons, etc).
The mood has no effect on what type of item that is made save for fell and macabre. Other than that the only restriction is what the claimed workshop can make.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:12:09 am »

The mood has no effect on what type of item that is made save for fell and macabre. Other than that the only restriction is what the claimed workshop can make.

Not necessarily - for example, artifact leather instruments.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 01:45:06 am »

Or a turtle bone battle axe- I think the restriction is what the workshop can make, plus the dwarf's interests. Not sure, though.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 01:51:18 am »

Or a turtle bone battle axe- I think the restriction is what the workshop can make, plus the dwarf's interests. Not sure, though.

Yea, mechanic workshops can't create anything else besides mechanisms, there aren't even any artifact mechanisms made with a base material other than rock. So, yea the workshop could have something to do with it.

The mechanics behind how moods work may change with the new material stuff though.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:12:20 am »

Yea, mechanic workshops can't create anything else besides mechanisms, there aren't even any artifact mechanisms made with a base material other than rock. So, yea the workshop could have something to do with it.

I'm pretty sure my dwarves have made metal mechanisms before. I remember being a bit pissed that my dwarf used a unit of aluminum ore to make an artifact mechanism.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 02:14:12 am »

I'm pretty sure my dwarves have made metal mechanisms before. I remember being a bit pissed that my dwarf used a unit of aluminum ore to make an artifact mechanism.

I mean metal bars, not ore, which is still a rock.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 02:20:41 am »

I mean metal bars, not ore, which is still a rock.

Ooh, you're right. Okay, that makes sense. :P

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 02:47:52 am »

So are we thinking that only preferences will make a dwarf build something that the workshop normally can't make? That would sorta make sense, although I'm pretty sure it's not always true, if it's true at all... I know I've gotten at least 2 things other than gems from a gem related mood (and the jeweler's shop).

And I certainly hope a moody weaponsmith isn't going to churn out an artifact steel cabinet, just because he likes cabinets...

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 03:19:28 am »

Gem cutters can still make weaponry. ;) I got a gem door, gem animal trap and gem bed. So it's not limited to perfect gems or anything.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

dAGNARUS

• Bay Watcher
  • Eventually, every fortress ends in magma floods.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 03:42:54 am »

I can safely conclude that profession does not influence the type of artifact, because all of a sudden my MINER claimed the mason's workshop and made a legendary weapon rack.
Dwarf Fortress: Where it is perfectly acceptable to make your civilization a living hell, for no reason.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 04:20:26 am »

Miner moods behave like mason moods; it's a bit nonsensical that mining is moodable at all: it has no workshop.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: [1] 2