Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: help from an unexpected source  (Read 1125 times)

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
help from an unexpected source
« on: December 21, 2009, 03:43:24 pm »

I'm playing a human adventurer at the moment, she's on a walking holiday through a pocket 40d world.  She's been going from town to town visiting the temples of the local god of stars, rainbows and storms.  She's carrying a few skins full of holy water from a temple pool, armed with a well crafted iron scimitar and a shield, and wearing various bits of iron armour paid for by selling items recovered from a kobold cave back at the start of the journey.

Having heard tales of another cave a short distance from the road she is following, she makes a detour.  Arriving at the cave entrance as the sun is setting, she offers a quick prayer to the god and descends into the darkness.  Right away she is attacked by an antman, who she makes short work of.  Exploring the damp, peat tunnels she runs into a kobold ranger.  Uneasily they look at each other, then she continues on her way.  Round the next corner she meets a hulking beast of a female cyclops - notably missing one thumb, this monster charges in to attack shouting about other people she's killed before.

The fighting is very physical in the narrow tunnels, with lots of charging and dodging and crashing into walls.  After a short time the kobold joins in the attack!  I guess he's not very happy that the cyclops is living in his cave.  While the kobold is distracting the cyclops my adventurer attacks from the side, managing to score a telling hit to the kidney.  Unfortunately the scimater gets stuck, and no amount of pulling will release it.  As the third attempt fails, the kobold is choked into unconsciousness.  Time for a different approach.

Lashed onto her backpack my adventurer has a beaten up copper short sword, retrieved from that first kobold cave all those weeks ago.  It's not much, but it'll do as a backup weapon.  Running away to make some space to take the weapon out, she feels a sharp pain in her ear.  The cyclops, turning away from the now dead kobold, had grabbed her ear-ring and tears it out as she retreats.  Better get the sword out quick!  It soon sees action, as another antman has approached from a side tunnel and so my girl makes a fighting retreat... she's getting tired now.

The cyclops is also suffering from the kidney wound and looks pale.  Pulling out the scimitar and dropping it on the floor may prove to be a mistake, as my girl can circle around to pick it back up again - which she does, although now the cyclops is right on top of her again.  Still holding the ear-ring, the cyclops makes a fist and punches my girl in the leg.  Major knee injury, not good - and another punch to the arm as she's on the floor.  Able to stand, she tries to run back a bit so as to be able to sort her weapons out.  More punches to the leg sprain her hip and send her crashing to the floor again.  A brutal punch mangles her right foot and now there's an awful lot of blood.  Her foot is so messed up that standing up again is not an option - this is going to be very unpleasant.

Trying to strike a blow against the cyclops with the short sword, she leaves herself open to a powerful punch to the midsection which throws her back into the darkness of one of the tunnels in a bloody mess.  The antman from earlier regains consciousness and comes over to gloat.  Roaches make footprint trails in the blood and ichor on the cave floor.

I can't help but feel that I've let the kobold down in some way.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: help from an unexpected source
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 04:03:42 pm »

Looking into the legends... the kobold was only 19 years old.  He'd been married for six years, with two children.  His youngest son born two years ago - and killed, by a deer, this year.

Maybe that explains his recklessness.

The cyclops had 29 kills over a hundred years of life... make that 31, now.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 05:01:42 pm »

Cool story, though if you'd twisted that scimitar instead of trying to pull it out, the fight would've been over in a couple of moves. 
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »

Very well written! I have a similar story of help from an unexpected source, yet very different.

You see, my adventurer, a human hammerman with a band of seven fellows, had stopped in a town for a rest. You see, they had just finished slaughtering a fleeing band of elves, officially making them an endangered species.

Now, a few weeks later, my adventurer decides that along with his band he shall continue his adventures, and throws off his heavy and useless trinkets. He hears shouting from outside! It sounds like one of his fellows, in trouble. Now, his band consisted of two bowmen, three swordsman, and axeman and a spearman. One of the swordsman shouted out for assistance, the clash of swords ringing through the air. What shook my hammerman was just who he was clashing swords with!

Some strange dispute must have taken place, as my adventurer spotted him fighting with another swordsman of his band! In fact, he could see all seven of his band fighting one another and the townsfolk! On his side, it seemed, was a bowman, a swordsman and the axeman. The spearman injured and killed the axeman almost straight away, who was in turn shot dead by my bowman. The other bowman fought back, both trading arrows viciously as my hammerman charged in to save my swordsman, who was beset by both the other swordsmen. Just as he reached his ally, though, a lucky blow was scored and the poor valiant warrior killed. My hammerman, much greater skilled than his band, managed to send both his previous allies flying with his large, steel maul.

(Current score: 3 on my side, 1 dead. 4 on their side, 2 dead.)

Next, the spearman tried to flank my bowman, who was hiding from the rain of arrows sent by his fellow. A quick blow to the head sent the crazed spearman to the afterlife. His morale restored by this, the bowman and hammerman charged. In the background, random townsfolk were fighting one another as well. It seemed a pitched battle for the townsfolk, with two axe-wielding guards and a mighty blacksmith still on my side.

Now, as they charged at the bowman, they both loosed arrows at one another. My friend was injured, but gave me enough time to turn the foe into gore. I ran back to see if my ally was okay. He died in my arms. I was covered in the blood of my friends, and my friends turned foe. Now I was angry, and I sought vengeance on the world. I travelled the world, killing all those humans who attacked me. Man, woman, child, any of them. But, what was most unexpected was the fact that there were certain groups who seemed more than happy to assist me in chopping down these combatants. Among them included an elven slave who was once the king of all the elves in the world who had looted a crossbow and joined my side, and guards. Any guard seemed more than happy to attack once-peaceful townsfolk simply for my sake. The elven king ran into the wilderness as I settled in the now heavily de-populated town, drenched in blood, sweat and tears.

One prime example of those guards helping me was when a ranger came out from behind with a crossbow. He fired, barely missing me. I turned and knew I could never reach him in time, only to see, to my amazement, an axe cleave straight through his head from behind. I swear that guard gave me a thumbs up and kept walking.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 03:49:46 am »

Hehe, both of these quite epic and entertaining.

Also:
The profane realms, world, has gone into a berserk rage!

Gotta love loyalty cascades. I just wish we had a good way to reproduce them. Maybe some fiddling with dwarf companion could prove a good way? I should try sometime...

Also funny about that elf king. I guess their long lifespan at least enables long histories like that.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 08:41:44 am »

Hehe, both of these quite epic and entertaining.

Also:
The profane realms, world, has gone into a berserk rage!

Gotta love loyalty cascades. I just wish we had a good way to reproduce them. Maybe some fiddling with dwarf companion could prove a good way? I should try sometime...

Also funny about that elf king. I guess their long lifespan at least enables long histories like that.

I've found a semi-reliable method of reproducing them! Usually between two human civs.
You take a few warriors from YOUR civ into your group, and march them over to the other civ. Punch out a small child, and as soon as it hits you back, your allies will say to themselves, "MY FRIEND IS IN TROUBLE" and kill the kid, making them enemies of the other civilisation.

In summary:
1. Recruit at least one warrior from own civilisation.
2. Get someone from other civilisation to hurt you.
3. ????
4. Profit!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 08:36:09 pm »

Yeah, starting wars is the best, especially when you recruit as many followers as the game will allow and constantly lay waste to their cities.  It's a shame you can't outfit your followers with better weapons and armor.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 09:31:33 pm »

Well, you can outfit them if you create them all as player characters, retire them, then go find them and recruit them.

All a bit long winded, mind you.