Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon and shield in one hand  (Read 1184 times)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Weapon and shield in one hand
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:01:49 am »

I'm fairly sure this is covered on the wiki or forum already, but can't find it. The problem is, with my shield inthe right hand, if I pick up a sword, it is held in the right hand as well. Dropping the shield and first taking the weapon has the same problem.

Is this normal? How can I change this?

EDIT: Never mind. It seems my left hand was wounded. Which is strange, cause I just started.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:03:34 am by EagleV »
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon and shield in one hand
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:08:42 pm »

Frostbite, maybe?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 03:53:03 am »

Its a pitty that wielding weapon and shield in 1 hand doesnt work right with bucklers, seeing as many smaller shields are not held in hand but strapped to the lower arm. Its a good tactic when wielding bows for example.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:01:08 am »

Imagine a shield weilded as a sword.
Now imagine a sword coming out of the shield

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 01:11:51 am »

Holding onto stuff will definitely need some attention in the future, as will the interface for equipping stuff.  It's so cool that the game puts a thing in your hand when you pick it up off the ground, and it takes a second action to put it into your backpack, and I love the way quivers and waterskins hold things, and it's cool that you can grab an enemy's spear and wrench it away, leaving it in your hand, equipped, but the whole thing's so awkward right now.  having to move stuff back and forth from the backpack, or throw it on the ground and sort it out, gets on my nerves, and so does being able to grab a guy's arm with your axe when wrestling.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 07:56:33 pm »

and so does being able to grab a guy's arm with your axe when wrestling.

Well, it's kind of easy to grab someone's arm with an axe, just stab 'em with it and hope it sticks.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 10:53:07 pm »

and so does being able to grab a guy's arm with your axe when wrestling.

Well, it's kind of easy to grab someone's arm with an axe, just stab 'em with it and hope it sticks.

Hence why there is a mechanic for stick-ins! ;)
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 02:21:57 am »

Even though the system is not very realistic in grabbing, it is awesome to strangle someone with your greatsword.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 08:13:56 pm »

Haha, yeah, one of the great strengths of the simple graphics is that it's easy for me to envision far more awesome situations that graphics and animations could ever hope to represent.  When I grab a guy's spear, break his arm, rip the spear out of his hand, throw it through his buddy's face and then strangle the first guy to death, it plays out in my mind as a Jason Bourne-level sequence that AAA titles can only show in cutscenes.
I brake for stumble bumblings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 03:25:38 pm »

It's not impossible to strangle someone with a weapon, just use the none pointy/sharp edge and push on their throat against yourself, a wall, or the ground.

Now strangling someone with a coin, that's interesting.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 08:39:59 pm »

probably pushing it against their windpipe.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!