Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: trapping/taming/loving wild animals?  (Read 9306 times)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
trapping/taming/loving wild animals?
« on: December 21, 2009, 04:42:54 am »

Hello DF!  Got this game a week or so ago and learned how to use it with the utter and complete newby's guide (thanks tinypirate!) and I'm absolutely addicted.

My question is:
is there a more focused view of how to use the kennel other than the fine one in the DwarfWiki?

I've got my heart set out on taming some of the creatures that roam through my area, namely goats and perhaps deer if they happen by (maybe even a unicorn? is it even possible?) for my personal entertainment and use.

oh and another question that comes to mind:
I've tamed a lizard and can't seem to set him free.  When I assign him to a cage and unassign him to that cage, Urist McTrapper plants him right back into the animal trap instead of letting him roam free about the place as I intended.  In addition, I have also trapped a Fluffy Wambler (perhaps a relative of the tribble?) and can't seem to tame him whatsoever.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: trapping/taming/loving wild animals?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 04:47:32 am »

I haven't used a kennel in a while. :P

Probably placing some cage traps near them?

Fluffy Wamblers and other exotic vermin can only be trained by a Dungeonmaster(I believe....).

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 04:52:19 am »

I don't believe tamed vermin can be "released" to roam around. I'm fairly certain that they would only be let out when a particular dwarf takes them as a pet. In the mean time, they could become a convenient snack.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 05:02:29 am »

thanks for the prompt responses!

@ Jack_Bread:
did you mean a cage trap as in the one that I could use to catch ne'er-do-wells that might intrude on my home, and the kennel-man will just grab it and nab some large animal with it?

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 05:39:20 am »

did you mean a cage trap as in the one that I could use to catch ne'er-do-wells that might intrude on my home, and the kennel-man will just grab it and nab some large animal with it?

The "capture a live land animal" task at the kennel is misleadingly named. The only animals that can be chased down and captured are vermin, like the lizard and fluffy wambler you've already caught.

For larger and more interesting creatures, you have to wait for them to find their way into a built cage trap. The same sort of b->T->c cage trap that catches goblins. There's various ways of coercing animals into the traps, but it's mostly up to them.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 06:10:07 am »

thank you SO much Cap'n Nitpick, I'll have my own herd of deer in no time with all thanks to you  ;)

which gets me thinking.... is it insanity to attempt taming of a unicorn?

fizmat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 06:14:55 am »

which gets me thinking.... is it insanity to attempt taming of a unicorn?

You're asking a community that almost streamlined the industry of harvesting mermaids for their valuable bones (which I will totally do when the exams are over).http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25967.0
Nothing is too crazy for dwarf fortress.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 06:40:12 am »

the more I learn about this vast, incredibly complex, vast, insane, and I reiterate: VAST game, the more I like it!

mermaid bones??

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 06:50:00 am »

Unicorns aren't tamable in the vanilla game. That's not to say they can't be. A quick addition of [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] in their entry in the raws will allow taming of unicorns.

But, I mean, unicorns? Elves use unicorns. They're sparkly and rainbowy. Not the sort of things that a dwarven fortress is made out of.

Also, if you want your lizard to roam around, you'll have to mark the lizard for dumping from the stocks menu.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:37:18 am »

actually they're not that bad, what with the foot-long spears on their foreheads and the habit the non-brainwashed ones have of slaughtering elves (and everything else but primarily elves)
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

sono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 10:32:21 am »

Beware.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 10:44:42 am »

"IMA FIREIN MAH LAZOR RAINBOW!!!!!"

XD
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 01:37:55 pm »

this reminds me of a mega project on can build were you cover every square *except an area you want for trees maybe* with cage traps, the ammount of labor and resources are intense to use, baiting a predator like a GCS into a cage is too hard, and generally it is hard to collapse the floor benith them due to the amount of time it consumes.  for deer and non preditor critters you can use military to herd them into a trap fence
======x==========x==========x=========x==========x========x
were = is a wall and x is a trap,  using 2 squads of dwarfs they hopefully try and path through the traps,
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 05:32:32 pm »

Unicorns aren't tamable in the vanilla game. That's not to say they can't be. A quick addition of [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] in their entry in the raws will allow taming of unicorns.

But, I mean, unicorns? Elves use unicorns. They're sparkly and rainbowy. Not the sort of things that a dwarven fortress is made out of.

Also, if you want your lizard to roam around, you'll have to mark the lizard for dumping from the stocks menu.

failing at using them as living, charging spears, one could imagine making feasts of enchanted meats and fine bonecrafts of unicorn bone... (note to self: good idea for heavy metal band name = Unicorn Bone)

EDIT: how do I go about tweaking the "genetic code" of a given thing in the game, that is to say "adding" to their "entry" in the "raws?" (I'm very inept when it comes to computers, to be perfectly honest, they're glowing boxes that play my gaemz to me  :P)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:49:54 pm by Odd!x »

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 06:15:21 pm »

Its simpler than it sounds, go ino the raw folder located in  your df folder>raw>objects and then find the "creature_____.txt" file that is relevant for what you want to edit (creature_standard.txt for dwarves for example), this is opened as a text file using notepad, from there you just change the text, though only so this after looking up whta he thing you're chanign does, one little mistake has been known to havefunny side effects (i.e. once i added a exyra toad by mistake, and my local goblins were lead by a crocodile, and my embark (which was dragons not dwarves) was killed when their wagon exploded

despite my tales of doom it is quite simple, most of the tag are pretty simple, for example if you want war animals that aren't dogs, then its just a simple [trAINABLE] tag, heres a page with the tags listed http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Creature_tokens
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 06:18:33 pm by Vayre »

Pages: [1] 2