Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: History in the making?  (Read 2672 times)

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
Re: History in the making?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 09:29:05 am »

The numerous posts which have either directed stated or alluded to how big name publishers are a bunch of money-grabbing failures who have ruined gaming. e.g. Dakk, Krash... and er... that seems to be it actually. Bugger.

Fine, not numerous. :( But SHUT UP I AM RIGHT!
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 11:02:49 am »

Isn't saying everyone else is wrong and you're right an elitist point of view itself? :P

Jokes aside, I didn't say EA, Bethesta and whatnot are a bunch of halfwits money grabbing jewish overlords or anything, what I and probably everyone else meant is that games have been dumbed down significantly for no reason other then to sell more. What, pointing out facts is elitism now?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 11:40:33 am »

I fear, that if some game corp does buy the rights to Dwarf Fortress, what we get is basically a Sims-clone because they had to "tune it down" in order for it to be more approachable to the mass consumers.

Because lets face it, we're all somewhat nerds here, right?
Or well, if not all, at least a number of us can approach this game because we're used to stuff like this. ADOM or other dungeon crawlers of the past are familiar to us already, so where we see a dragon attacking a dwarf, another guy might ask "what's that D doing to that smiley cube?"

Maybe in 2956 Dwarf Fortress might be able to get portrayed just right with 3D graphics, a really super friendly interface to go along it etc, but knowing how gaming evolves, it'd still be a niche game, snorted by the kids who just got "Shining Circle: Alien Holocaust".

*shakes walking stick*
Yep yep.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 11:51:35 am »

Of course, the standards of the people outside Bay12 mean that DF in full graphics 3D would need a new ESRB Rating. Only to be topped by a full graphics 3D LCS.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 01:46:53 pm »

Ever heard of Licensing?

Often time a game companies thought process amounts to, in order, "We need ideas! We need better ideas! Ahh, why doesn't it work!"

If Toady had a lawyer friend who was willing to help him sell limited licenses of his code he could make a living commercially by maintaining and improving DF as the gameplay code for a game or series of games.  That way a game company could avoid worrying about balance testing and feature implementation, the often expensive and risky creative process, and focus on more technical things like making it look good and making the interface more user friendly.  Furthermore, it could be done on a relatively tight budget(I am thinking a Steam release kind of thing) while still being a massive improvement in the most oft criticized aspects of DF and be re-released every couple years.

However, Toady has said many times that he does not want to walk to someone else's beat when it comes to DF.  So I doubt he would seriously pursue something like that.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 02:14:13 pm »

As Armok put it on page 1, it doesn't need to be "makes oodles of money" to make gaming history.

Rogue made gaming history. I don't recall ever paying for it. Completely revolutionized the open-world game. It eventually spawned commercial counterparts, oft of the high-graphics variety (The Elder Scrolls, Diablo {diablo-clones are all, in their deepest essences, roguelike games with less story-since the story in Rogue wasn't exactly something you needed to pay attention to}, etc, etc, etc).

I would suggest Dwarf Fortress already has, I mean ffs, Tycho of Penny-Arcade mentioned it on a couple occasions. You know you've hit the big time when PA talks about your game, even if commercial production is not involved.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 02:16:12 pm »

I dont know what your talking about those games were awesome.

A good review explaining Oblivion's many severe flaws http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129
In retrospect: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=142
heh that was an entertaining read.

Yeah Oblivion is riddled with bugs and stupid AI. It was still a fun game to play regardless. I dont know what it is but somehow it works.

Saddly Oblivion wasn't as good as Morrowind, and even more sadly, Morrowind didn't hold a candle to Daggerfall or Arena.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.
Pages: 1 2 [3]