Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: History in the making?  (Read 2671 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: History in the making?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 04:58:06 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is a niche game in every way.  While our Toady overlord seeks to expand the player base by (eventually) dealing with the brutal learning curve, I doubt it will ever truly be mainstream.  It's had effects on those of us in the world of independent gaming, but beyond that, not much.  ASCII scares people, the sheer complexity scares people, the unfettered sandbox scares people...
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 05:06:10 pm »

ASCII scares people, the sheer complexity scares people, the unfettered sandbox scares people...

There are also many who simply don't enjoy this kind of game.  Actually, the majority of gamers fit that group.  Still, the sandbox market is very untapped, just look at Oblivion and Fallout 3.  Awfully bad games both of them, but they sold by the million
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 05:24:19 pm »

I dont know what your talking about those games were awesome.

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 07:24:48 pm »

Oblivion graphic wise is imho still amazingly beautiful.
Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns and a brown/dark landscape.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 08:04:06 pm »

A good review explaining Oblivion's many severe flaws http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129
In retrospect: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=142

And I think those are p nice when you think about the level scaling, the awful character system and the total lack of role-playing

And about fallout 3, when I play a game, pick the [intelligent] reply and feel like a 10 year old mentally challenged person (and I this isn't flattering towards the mentally challenged), it puts me off.  Not to mention that the "combat" is broken (vats= win button), you can easily max most skills (p much destroys all the character building) and that the end could possibly qualify as the worst ever in gaming history. 
Fallout 3 is better than oblivion, but still nothing beyond a 5-6 out of 10.  Seriously, try Fallout 1 and 2 instead
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:18:24 pm by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 08:39:32 pm »

Well we will be able to say, "We played DF before EA made 100 expansion packs and Blizzard turn it into an MMO"

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 10:16:50 pm »

Well we will be able to say, "We played DF before EA made 100 expansion packs and Blizzard turn it into an MMO"

I can see it now...

"n00b, you can't mine adamantine until you've increased the mining skills of every mining dwarf! Go farm microline until you're more l33t!"  :o

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 10:37:05 pm »

EA and bethesta raping the shining silver lining that is DF? No thanks, DF promisses (and is actualy accomplishing) all what I've dreamed to be the perfect RPG videogame. One that isn't a boring piece fantasy book turned into a linear game, or an action game disguised as a RPG, one that actualy lets you create a story and be part of it in any way you want, hero, villain, background character, whatever. An RPG that actualy lets you roleplay, and can create amazingly complex stories on the fly!

I don't want DF turning into a oblivion clone with a pseudo-VATS wound system, I want DF to be DF.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 01:03:58 am »

To be fair,Toady is already fairly infamous amongst the game developers themselves.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 01:13:48 am »

And to be fair, he's the only dev, indie or otherwise, to be making a living off donations through a business model/philosophy of free games for all.

So that's historic in it's own right.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:15:24 am by KaelGotDwarves »

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 03:39:55 am »

A good review explaining Oblivion's many severe flaws http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129
In retrospect: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=142
heh that was an entertaining read.

Yeah Oblivion is riddled with bugs and stupid AI. It was still a fun game to play regardless. I dont know what it is but somehow it works.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 04:45:33 am »

I think DF players are participating in the sort of history, that culminates to us being in retirement houses and our brain-implant console playing grandkids show up reluctantly to spend some quality time, hopped  up on the new 3D smash hit game "Shoot 'n Kill: Machineguns Kick Back 6" like it's the best thing after "World War 3: Here's Italy!"

"You know kids, back in my day, there was this game where you could do anything you wanted, build anything you imagined, kill anyone you didn't like or just saw wander into the screen. And it didn't have any real graphics."

"lol grandpa stop joking around"
"yeah shut up im killing dis noob here"
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 04:47:42 am by Ieb »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 05:02:24 am »

And to be fair, he's the only dev, indie or otherwise, to be making a living off donations through a business model/philosophy of free games for all.

So that's historic in it's own right.

This is exactly what makes me so excited about the project. With a standard game you have a set release date after which the 'finished product' is shipped out and the investers (hopefulyl) get their reward. As we all know, this really constrains what game designers can realistically put in. Tarn is only one toad, but he has ultimate creative control. The game comes first, not a mass audience. This in itself is what has earnt the loyalty of all those great folks who have been donating.  :D

My hope is that after this release we see a return to the higher donation rate of '08, and then beyond. I'm sure we will see a massive spike around the time the release occurs, but after that we will have a bunch of people coming to the game for the first time + people returning to the game to check out the changes, and then _staying_ interested thanks to a short term release schedule coming back. I really want tarn to be able to make a proper, comfortable living off of this, rather than be just scraping by. This is what would give us the best chance of the dev of the game continuing long into the future.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 09:19:00 am »

Oh derp, I didn't realize this thread was for elitism. Silly me.

Rabble rabble bethesda oblivion fallout rabble EA NMA I beat my wife for saying Fallout isn't the best rabble rabble

But seriously, why does everyone seem to assume that if Toady did sell the game, he'd sell it to the first Joe Publisher who came along? Instead of, I don't know, looking into who might be best suited to make this kind of game, who has the best track record of quality games, and who seems to have a genuine appreciation for what DF is and what the intent of it is? Is it not at least conceivable that instead of selling it to someone who will just turn it out in nine months for a quick buck, he will sell it to someone who has a strong reputation for crafting their games with expertise and care?

Or are we all such jaded elitists that no such possibility exists because any game less complex than DF is for halfwits and thus any company supported by such gamers is populated by halfwits?
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 09:22:40 am »

What the hell dude?   What was that even a response to???
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3