Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: History in the making?  (Read 2670 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
History in the making?
« on: December 21, 2009, 04:05:10 am »

Does anybody else get the feeling that, as a fan of DF, you are in on a big secret? More and more I get the feeling that eventually this game will really make a serious impression on the gaming world, and Mr. Adams will become relatively famous. I'm putting it forward here that watching the dev unfold is a bit like watching gaming history in the making. We are very lucky folks.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: History in the making?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 04:56:40 am »

I just hope he doesnt sell his soul for a dumptruck full of cash
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
allowing EA/BlizzActvi to destory what makes this game so great.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 05:18:10 am »

We really need to maake a contract with ToadyOne about this...

Anyways he said that there would be no commercialization ( quethed by Footkerchief on many occasions ) and the reason he makes this game is to enrich lives of others, and wants to keep his golden egg incubated into a more platinum composition.

And hence forth I declare Footkerchief, God of Archiving ( Referencing )

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:42:32 am »

I'm pretty sure that Toady isn't looking to sell this thing just yet, but it definitely seems to me to be growing in popularity. I see more and more mention of it in more and more places.
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:02:22 am »

@OP: yes.

@evryone: Fame does not have too equal money.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:29:33 am »

He won't.

He's not in this for the money.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 11:46:07 am »

If anything he's coding Dwarf Fortress for himself and his brother, not us. They always wanted to make a game that THEY would like, and that's what DF is. Or will be, at any rate

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 11:48:47 am »

If anything he's coding Dwarf Fortress for himself and his brother, not us. They always wanted to make a game that THEY would like, and that's what DF is. Or will be, at any rate
Aye, it's been his dream since... What did that one interview say... Since he was 11?
Dwarf Fortress is his baby.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 02:56:11 pm »

I don't know, money can do crazy things to a person. Currently, I don't think he's in too much danger of having to sell out the game, unless a big corporation should decide they want the game and find a way to take it from him via law. In the distant future, who knows. I think it would be more likely that he expands bay12 into a large corporation than that he would sell bay12 or DF. Either way though, that's probably something that would have to happen in the distant future if it happened at all.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 03:00:30 pm »

Idk, it may become famous, but then again, it could help. Is it really bad if he gets some company to pay him a lot of money to put their name on it, advertise it, etc? As long as the game won't cost money, I think that commercialization would give Toady enough money to be able to quit his job, and work on DF much more often.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 03:13:58 pm »

I dunno, I could see a studio specializing in strategy games, like Firaxis (Civilization series), taking DF, which is a very good game, and unleashing the full potential of toady's vision to make it a game unmatched in excellence... and do so within our lifetime. But wuddeva, this game is Toady's intellectual property and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 03:47:41 pm »

Idk, it may become famous, but then again, it could help. Is it really bad if he gets some company to pay him a lot of money to put their name on it, advertise it, etc? As long as the game won't cost money, I think that commercialization would give Toady enough money to be able to quit his job, and work on DF much more often.

Toady sorta already did that, as far as I know, DF is not only Toady's golden project of awesome, but also his job.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 03:48:54 pm »

He alredy did that. He lives of donations, with no need for commercialization.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 03:58:17 pm »

I wouldn't mind a corporation like EA or Blizzard buying the game once it's finished and dumbing it down for the masses and netting Toady lots of money as long as we can have the full version also. Maybe he could spin a contract that requires the corp to include a classic mode in their release. Though quite frankly, I think that even a dumbed down version of DF would be amazing.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 04:45:02 pm »

Does anybody else get the feeling that, as a fan of DF, you are in on a big secret? More and more I get the feeling that eventually this game will really make a serious impression on the gaming world, and Mr. Adams will become relatively famous. I'm putting it forward here that watching the dev unfold is a bit like watching gaming history in the making. We are very lucky folks.
no
Pages: [1] 2 3