Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wrestlers holding each others' clothes  (Read 580 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wrestlers holding each others' clothes
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:19:49 am »

I let my marksdwarves do some wrestling, and now they won't shoot at the archery range.  Each of them is holding an item of clothing belonging to another soldier.  That's clothing, not armor.  The held clothing is not forbidden, and designated to be dumped.  Lots of idle dwarves are standing around, and the clothes remain un-dumped.

When will the dumping occur?

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wrestlers holding each others' clothes
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:10:19 am »

Do you have a zone for dumping? Refuse piles or clothing piles do not count.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:20:24 am »

Do you have a zone for dumping? Refuse piles or clothing piles do not count.

Yes, I always have a dump zone somewhere.  It's how I move things around in my fortress.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 03:30:01 am »

You should have at least one accessible active dumping zone at the time of designating the dump.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 05:11:31 am »

I'm pretty confident that dumping is working just fine, because I've been dumping all sorts of stone and body parts for months.  I'm worried that the problem is with personally owned items of clothing.  I know that they're nearly impossible to move when they fall on the floor.  They may also be difficult to remove from the hands of other people.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 06:57:42 am »

So the items in their hands are owned by other dwarves? Troubling.

I'd suggest unassigning the rooms that belong to the dwarf who owns said clothing item. Maybe it will make the clothes unowned if the dwarfs don't have anywhere to put it.

I've encountered a few times in my fortress where some of my soldiers end up with pieces of clothing, but since my soldiers don't have rooms maybe it removed ownership of the items.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:41:02 am »

If your wrestlers are assigned to wear Cloth, they'll see the pieces of clothing in their hands (belonging to other dwarves), think "yep, I'm supposed to wear cloth", and won't drop it (since they don't distinguish between wearing it and wielding it; this is the same thing that causes them to run around beating things to death with steel greaves). If they aren't assigned to wear armor, switch them to Leather/Chain/Plate and they ought to drop the extra stuff.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.