Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your modding mistakes  (Read 1074 times)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Your modding mistakes
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:53:00 pm »

We all make mistakes. Especially when modding. Sometimes they're blatantly obvious, sometimes you don't notice until it's far too late. It seemed like an interesting idea to ask what everyone's most Fun errors while modding were, and the consequences of the mistake.

Don't click any links unless you like getting spoiled.

This would be mine from several months ago. I think it actually got mentioned by someone last month. A bit picture heavy at the start.
Basically,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...On a more recent note, my elves have been trying to sell:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The metal this is made of, incidentally, is still deep and shouldn't be showing up like this. I don't think the elves are allowed to make that either. :-\

So, what are your favorite/biggest/most Fun mistakes?
And if anyone has any thoughts on that recent bit of weird...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your modding mistakes
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 01:24:02 am »

my cats shoot fireballs but are not fireimmune.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 05:44:46 pm »

The picks and their odd material choice, BTW, are what happens when a civ has to make something out of metal, but has no metal to make it out of.  (WOOD_PREF removes metal, unless they're explicitly given it again via MINOR_METAL or METAL_PREF.)  I once had tigermen making mauls out of the same material, because I'd only given them stone and wood to work with in their newly made entity definitions.
MY initial attempt to covert merfolk into an entity failed... when I forgot to replace "Aquatic" with "Amphibious."  Whoops...
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:51:36 pm »

The picks and their odd material choice, BTW, are what happens when a civ has to make something out of metal, but has no metal to make it out of.  (WOOD_PREF removes metal, unless they're explicitly given it again via MINOR_METAL or METAL_PREF.)  I once had tigermen making mauls out of the same material, because I'd only given them stone and wood to work with in their newly made entity definitions.
MY initial attempt to covert merfolk into an entity failed... when I forgot to replace "Aquatic" with "Amphibious."  Whoops...
Duly noted on the shiny stuff, thank you very much. :P
Also, fire-breathing cats. ;D Do they shoot them at vermin?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:28:07 pm »

I made a bearman race and made two major blunders that I realised after I checked legends and read a rather epic battle.

1. I had forgotten to add [GRASP] tags to a custom bear body, so the bears were fighting TOOTH AND NAIL against, well, EVERYTHING. They had ethics that even the goblins disapproved of.

2. I had forgotten to remove all the super-boosts I gave to my dwarves (Speed:0, 99999 damblock, etc.) when I made the worldgen. Somehow, my bear race still manage to kick the everloving shit out of my unstoppable death-machine dwarves. I saw a pitched battle in DWARVEN favour and the dwarves LOST. Against unarmed (albeit very LARGE) bears!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:49:11 pm »

I remember reading a report that they actually do; the person in question had his booze stockpile boil up.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:59:53 pm »

I remember reading a report that they actually do; the person in question had his booze stockpile boil up.
I remember seeing the game glitch and turn into wizard fortress. Everything was on fire because a wizard fireball'd a roach.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 10:29:27 am »

I had the same issue with adamantine when I made my own civ of drakelings (self-made race). Before I started using them in fortress mode, and also blocking invasions, I was terrified to find drakelings storming in, decked out in nothing but adamantine armour and adamantine weapons. Needless to say... that was Fun.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 11:15:18 am »

Made Final Fantasy bombs once ages ago.  They sorta worked, if you killed one in melee something horrible happened.

That something horrible wasn't a firey explosion as planned but a firey crash to desktop.

Then after deleting them from the raws and forgetting to delete them from data/objects they showed up on a fort.  I had been playing for a year and a half without saving.  Then the hunter shot and killed a bomb, just outside the entrance of the fortress so not only do I lose a year and a half of progress I know exactly WHY I lost it.

D'OH!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 08:41:14 pm »

While attempting to cut down on the excessive and ridiculous pet populations caused by immigration floods - in lieu of actually cutting down on immigration because that doesn't work - I took [COMMON_DOMESTIC] off everything but the Badger, a bigger-than-cat [VERMINHUNTER] with singular offspring.

Come autumn, the game stalls out for several minutes, then announces a caravan has come. After a little investigation, the problem becomes clear - the merchants have filled their inventory with Badgers exclusively, generating more than twenty pages of Stray Badger [Tame] on the Unit list.

Lesson learned: have no Domestic animals, or several.

immolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 09:31:26 pm »

I made a bearman race and made two major blunders that I realised after I checked legends and read a rather epic battle.

1. I had forgotten to add [GRASP] tags to a custom bear body, so the bears were fighting TOOTH AND NAIL against, well, EVERYTHING. They had ethics that even the goblins disapproved of.

2. I had forgotten to remove all the super-boosts I gave to my dwarves (Speed:0, 99999 damblock, etc.) when I made the worldgen. Somehow, my bear race still manage to kick the everloving shit out of my unstoppable death-machine dwarves. I saw a pitched battle in DWARVEN favour and the dwarves LOST. Against unarmed (albeit very LARGE) bears!
Unless I am mistaken the world gen only takes size and number into account when determining wordgen battles/civ power. If you had actually played the battle the bearmen would have gotten murdered ten seconds flat.