Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stocks and other questions  (Read 446 times)

Xavier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stocks and other questions
« on: December 20, 2009, 06:49:00 pm »

Greetings...

This is my first post, I was browsing a website on roguelike games and I stumbled upon Dwarf Fortress.. and my haw dropped! I was amazed by this game and it has occupied every minute from my spare time this past week.

I've no idea why but somehow this game feels much more original and interesting than many Expensive commercial games...What a breath of fresh air!

I have a couple of questions...

1. I get a little overwhelmed when I build many workshops, I can never be sure of how much stuff I make and how may I have at any given moment... for example when it says "beer 200?" what does that mean exactly?

2. a fish killed my fisherdwarf and then all other dwarves had to run there to collect his corpse and they where killed too. in 5 mins my fortress was dwarf free :(   How can I avoid that next time?

3. which programming language was used to make DF?  C?

Cheers guys, I think you'll hear more from me around here from now on...

Stelknecht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stocks and other questions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 06:57:18 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean about the stocks question. 200 beer is... well, 200 beer. If you press tab on the stocks menu, you'll see a breakdown of specific stocks.
If you press o and then shift-f to get to the forbid menu, you can forbid any victim's gear at the time of death, and then unforbid it later, after clearing the carp.
I have no idea what language it was written in. Probably dwarvish.

Cheers!

Stel
Urist McHauler cancels hauling-irradiated by nuke!
UristMcHauler cancels rest-mutating!
UristMcHauler has become a legendary mutant!
Urist McHauler has founded the X-Dwarves!

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 07:26:21 pm »

1. I get a little overwhelmed when I build many workshops, I can never be sure of how much stuff I make and how may I have at any given moment... for example when it says "beer 200?" what does that mean exactly?

It means that number is rounded off, and could be anywhere from 150 to 249. To increase the accuracy of your books, you need a Bookkeeper. If you already have a bookkeeper, you need to order him to improve his accuracy. If you've done that, then you have to wait for him to do the work.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:25:18 pm »

I have a couple of questions...

2. a fish killed my fisherdwarf and then all other dwarves had to run there to collect his corpse and they where killed too. in 5 mins my fortress was dwarf free :(   How can I avoid that next time?

3. which programming language was used to make DF?  C?

Cheers guys, I think you'll hear more from me around here from now on...
Yeah, its rounded off, to make it so you get the precise amount of thigns you need a bookkeeper.
And asign a table to that bookkeeper.
To assign a bookkeeper, press n, then go down to the bookkeeper noble.
This job will already be taken by someone else, it will be best to choose some random peasant or someone who isnt important (fisherdwarves and fish disectors, etc) to do this.
Once that is done press s back in the noble screen menu over the bookkeeper and go down to highest precision.
Your bookkeeper should run off to the table you asigned it and start working, over time the precision will go up and you can see just how much stock you have.

2.Sounds like you got carp!
Carp are the fabled fish of doom in dwarf fortress.
Check the ponds/rivers for carp first, if you have carp on your map or any hostile fish it is advised that you assign your fisherdwarf to a differtn job ( press v, go over to the fisher dwarf, press p then l)
Another way to keep non fishing dwarfs away is to go into the designation menu (d).
Then o for traffic
then r  for restricted and highlight the whole places where carp are.

No damn idea.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:34:48 pm »

And asign a table to that bookkeeper.

You need a chair to make an office for the bookkeeper, not a table.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:09:16 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.