Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How far can objects fall?  (Read 901 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How far can objects fall?
« on: December 20, 2009, 05:39:59 pm »

Can you dump Items in a pit?  How far would a bed fall before the impact destroys it?
After reading the wiki I am still confused about safely pitting wild animals and goblins.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: How far can objects fall?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:42:49 pm »

Objects can fall forever without being damaged.

Creatures take damage from falls.  In my experience falling one level rarely does any damage beyond stunning, while ten levels is essentially always fatal.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How far can objects fall?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:34:36 pm »

Pits (as in the kind that are designated with zones) can only be used to throw animals in, not items, though there are other ways to accomplish that; you can create a "dump" activity zone adjacent to a pit and dump items there, your dwarves will automatically throw them over the edge, this will not work if you designate the zone over the pit though.

For a dwarf to retrieve a creature from a cage it must be placed using 'b-j', when you designate a creature to be pitted a dwarf will release the creature, lead it to the pit and dump it over the edge. When doing this with hostile creatures there's a chance they will escape, though it seems to happen much less often the closer the cage is to the pit. If you're looking for a safe way to release a creature under controlled conditions you can build a cage and link it to a lever, once you've done that pulling the lever will remotely deconstruct the cage and release the creature.

If you're going to be pitting dangerous creatures and you'd prefer to use the "safe" method I recommend building a quarantine with a retractable bridge to remotely release creatures in, once they're released and they stand on the bridge, you can retract it to dump them in, all without ever having to enter the pit.