Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fell Mood Factory  (Read 4946 times)

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fell Mood Factory
« on: December 20, 2009, 04:10:37 pm »

I've never gotten a fell mood in any of my forts, and I'm thinking I'd like to cause one (without forcing it via a tool of some sort). So, I have an idea for a fort split into a 'happy' section with logical, functioning facilities (to prevent fortress collapse and repel sieges), and an 'unhappy' section, where immigrants are just chucked into constant, bedless misery while being forced to work the magma forges or other useful-for-artifact trades. Anyone have any suggestions for 1) trapping immigrants inside as they arrive and 2) keeping them healthy, happy enough to not go insane, and sad enough to go into fell moods?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fell Mood Factory
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:03:31 pm »

Draft them and put them behind the "evil" doors. Either that or put a meeting zone in both halves and deactivate the "good" meeting zone and activate the "evil" one when they arrive. Migrants will naturally head towards the fell mood side.

You'll either get fell or macabre moods on that side.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Nlky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:12:41 pm »

Draft them and put them behind the "evil" doors.
This probably works best, since it'll start the majority off with a nice unhappy thought to get them going (being drafted.)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:16:44 pm »

Easiest way is to probably just store them in a closed place, preferably walled off so they won't try to pathfind, and give then only plump helmets. And a murky pond to drink out of. No well. No beds. No friends. No dining hall.

Just cold, raw plump helmets in the dark. Alone.

The only possible happy thoughts they will have are "satisfied at work lately" or maybe eating a delicious meal, if they like plump helmets for some reason.

Unhappy thoughts will be disgusting water, no well, no beds, no chairs, no tables. Oh, and miasma! Put refuse stockpiles in the main work area. Alternatively if you want them to be outdoors in a rainy or snowy environment, they will continually have unhappy thoughts from the weather.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 08:30:41 pm »

Draft them and put them behind the "evil" doors.
This probably works best, since it'll start the majority off with a nice unhappy thought to get them going (being drafted.)
Might want to make it a pair of doors a la air-lock, so unhappies don't slip out when the newbs come in.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 08:32:08 pm »

Just drop them in from the top, via retractable bridge.

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 12:16:37 am »

Just drop them in from the top, via retractable bridge.

I'm thinking this is what I'll do, as this will also be good for dropping food onto them. Does living under a bridge count as being outside for unhappy thoughts?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 01:07:56 am »

If the sun has touched it, it is permanently outside I thought.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 01:14:19 am »

Hehe, just remember to put some butcher and tanner shops in there.

@quinnr: Permanently above-ground, but not permanently outside.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 01:31:08 am »

They will need to be outside to get rained or snowed on.

You can construct an above ground, indoors area, which will not get rain or snow. But if its just an open sky above them, then yes, unhappy thoughts from the weather.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 02:17:57 am »

Don't forget miasma.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 09:53:23 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Where it is perfectly acceptable to make your civilization a living hell, for no reason.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 10:47:41 am »

careful with this, too many negative thoughts will just cause them to go crazy, which might be bad in two ways, both causing death ^_^

-Insane dwarf swims to freedom and goes on rampage
-Insane dwarf drowns itself, poisoning the water supply for the prisoners

You would need to give them some good thoughts to couteract this.
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 11:00:23 am »

They will need to be outside to get rained or snowed on.
Don't forget miasma.

So we need an area which is a mesh of indoor and outdoor areas to maximise the possibility of being both effected by weather and miasma. While we are at it can we add smoke to this equation?

Possibly food should all be caged rats which are available for becoming pets too, that way either they are forced to watch a pet die or to eat their own pet to survive.

They shouldn't go crazy unless you start killing them off I think, not sure on the balance of happiness. I tried to do this with a whole fort but failed completely, your idea of just doing with a section so you still have a productive fort might work better.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 11:15:15 am »

Put an expensive artifact table or something, just to gives your dwarves enough hope to keep them going.
Pages: [1] 2