Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fell Mood Factory  (Read 4949 times)

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
Re: Fell Mood Factory
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 11:29:21 am »

I'm pretty sure i've seem dwarves go insane from extreme unhappiness, such as a king given no rooms while everyone else has awesome rooms, or injured dwarves going beserk
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 12:33:24 pm »

Yea, the problem is that you have to keep them in that state long enough for a mood to happen while trying to keep them from going insane, but moods are random in what dwarf gets chosen (though not the skills and there is quite a bit known about it, but it still has a big random element to it).

In fact, the only time that you are guaranteed that a mood will happen is shortly after you hit 20 population.

I usually get hit on average, two moods a year, but its possible to have a stretch with no moods when not much is happening.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 01:55:18 pm »

You could create smoke by periodically dumping a piece of coal into magma near a traffic area, such as between the tiny plump helmet farm and the slave labor workshops.

roger123275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 02:39:52 pm »

So, similar to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It gave me 56 dwarves to reclaim with... I'm hoping the game is just being nice to me...
Good job Roger!

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 03:20:15 pm »

Slightly, though Headshoots was to save the fort, whereas this just wants some Dwarf Leather Pants
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 05:03:22 pm »

Keep them mostly inside, and send them outside only after they have servers cave adaptation. If they make a masterpiece, destroying it instantly will plummet them to miserable.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 05:45:07 pm »

You'll definately want something to bring th mood up every now and then on the "bad" side of town, as they will off theirselves and/or others if they get too unhappy. Maybe make a not-quite legendary dinning room and activate it everyonce in a while to up their moods?
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 11:27:43 pm »

I've seen nobles throw tantrums because of a lesser's pretentious so-and-so, but I haven't seen a regular worker throw a tantrum for mere unhappy thoughts alone.  Then again, I regularly use mist generators which are practically like a cheat code for happiness, so I wouldn't know.

There's a theory that moods are triggered by digging out X number of tiles, and in my experience it appears to be true.  I have absolutely no moods when I'm not digging, but when I start digging again I'll get them.

Be sure your good side has no relatives on the bad side in case a tantrum spiral does erupt!  I almost saw a tantrum spiral start in a young fort because a wolf ate the mother of two/wife of a family that was immigrating in, and her husband started throwing tantrums because I only had plump helmets and wine at the time.  Eventually, her two sons grew to become co-mayors of the fort (every year, one or the other would always be elected.  They would trade ownership of the fort without fail.  Kind of a touching story, really.)
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 03:19:39 pm »

If you want to put a lot of work in this, you can confine the unhappy dwarfs in pairs.That way, if one of them goes insane, only 2 will die, though if one has a mood, he still has a companion to  butcher.

Hell, I like this game
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 07:16:47 pm »

Make them wood cutters  ;D it adds a gruesome tantrum spiral
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki
Pages: 1 [2]