Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: glacier civilization?  (Read 1033 times)

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
glacier civilization?
« on: December 20, 2009, 06:43:15 am »

is it possible to make a civilization that prefers to live on glaciers?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: glacier civilization?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 07:34:50 am »

Yes, really quite easily.

[START_BIOME:GLACIER]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:GLACIER:10]

If that's not working, make sure that the creature in question can actually survive living in such conditions (I doubt that whether they can or not really has an effect on worldgen, but you don't want them suddenly freezing as soon as you visit one of their sites regardless).

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:32:30 am »

From the wiki:

[HOMEOTHERM:n]The creature's normal body temperature. Combined with LAYERING, sets the temperature range under which it can live.

[LAYERING:n] How well-protected the creature is from low temperatures. If this number is too high, it will confine a creature to only arctic areas. If it is even higher it will prevent the creature from spawning at all. Tropical animals have this at 100. Tundra creatures, 200 or 300; humans 10, dwarves 50.
Meh.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:00:34 am »

It's ok as long as they wear warm clothes.

In my DF Genesis mod where there's a lot of subraces, Nords (human subrace) happily dwell on glaciers. Moreover, I've noticed that their houses are built on pales which go into glacier, so when one level melts they are not deconstructed.
 Also I've modded in wooly mammoths, which have nice wool for leather, so all the nords wear warm wooly mammoth socks and wooly mamoth gloves, so they are protected from cold.

Be careful visiting their towns though. I was encased in ice once because a lump of water fell on me from a melting cliff while I was on a low ground and almos immediately turned solid while I was swimming in it, encasing me in ice.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:54:14 am »

The Frost Giants in the Civilization Forge mod also live on glaciers.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 11:37:21 am »

[LAYERING:n] How well-protected the creature is from low temperatures. If this number is too high, it will confine a creature to only arctic areas. If it is even higher it will prevent the creature from spawning at all. Tropical animals have this at 100. Tundra creatures, 200 or 300; humans 10, dwarves 50.
This is wrong. Or "slightly isn't right".

Once i have my dwarves had a [LAYERING:9999] - they spawned greatly everywhere during worldgen.
As a feature of high layering they were able to swim in magma for 20 tiles (and more) with only yellow injures and even don't go mad mind at all when their clothes were burning on them.
Finis sanctificat media.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 02:04:11 pm »

You confuse civilization spawning and creature spawning. Halmie was right about the creature spawning.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 01:39:27 am »

You confuse civilization spawning and creature spawning. Halmie was right about the creature spawning.
Ok, that's me, who slight isn't right.  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 10:33:19 am »

Yes, really quite easily.

[START_BIOME:GLACIER]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:GLACIER:10]

If that's not working, make sure that the creature in question can actually survive living in such conditions (I doubt that whether they can or not really has an effect on worldgen, but you don't want them suddenly freezing as soon as you visit one of their sites regardless).

Ironically, I have a civ that is not supposed to spawn in any area that is colder than warm, and they somewhow spawned on several glaciers per world gen over the past several gens. I don't know how, either, because they can't even survive in a temperate biome when winter hits.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.