Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My soldiers refuse to do anything but wrestle!  (Read 1147 times)

Wyvern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My soldiers refuse to do anything but wrestle!
« on: December 20, 2009, 02:42:26 am »

I'm playing a bloodlines game with a couple of friends of mine and have been taking my first turn.  Nobody before me ever got around to building a forge or making any weapons, so our entire army was made up of champion wrestlers.  After most of them were brutally slaughtered in a goblin raid, I took it as an opportunity to have the next batch of recruits trained with actual weapons.

But it didn't work.  They all became wrestlers too.  I've attempted this with several different batches of recruits and it's always the same.  I forge a bunch of copper weapons.  I order them to wield various weapons from the military menu.  They pick up and CARRY those weapons (I've checked their inventories; the intended weapons are in there).  I let them spar...and only their wrestling skill goes up!  Every time, out of at least eight separate recruits.

Why is this happening?  How can I prevent it?  It's driving me crazy.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: My soldiers refuse to do anything but wrestle!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 03:12:59 am »

Two reasons:

1) Soldiers will spar with weapons only if their opponent holds a similar weapon. Otherwise, they will wrestle. Try equipping everyone with the same weapon, or setting them off-duty by weapon-type (ie: all Hammerdwarves off-duty at the same time, while Wrestlers and AxeDwarves are on-duty).

2) Check their hands. If they are holding anything in their hands in addition to their weapon, they will Wrestle instead of training their weapon. This also applies to Crossbowdwarves. Mark the extraneous objects for dumping.
Never pet a burning dog.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 03:16:45 am »

Wrestling is good for military dwarves. It helps them avoid damage that they could get from sparring injuries.

That said, there are few things to check to make sure that soldiers spar with their weapons. Make sure that they don't have any odd pieces of armor in their hands, like leather leggings or anything like that. Those prevent sparring with weapons. This is usually solved by setting their armor preferences to clothes, and then back to where they were once they've dropped the errant items in their hands. Things like pig tail trousers have to be manually dumped, as dwarves don't drop those because they are clothing level items.

1) Soldiers will spar with weapons only if their opponent holds a similar weapon. Otherwise, they will wrestle. Try equipping everyone with the same weapon, or setting them off-duty by weapon-type (ie: all Hammerdwarves off-duty at the same time, while Wrestlers and AxeDwarves are on-duty).

That isn't true. I've had plenty of macedwarves, swordsdwarves, hammerdwarves, speardwarves, and any other weapondwarf train successfully with each other despite them using different weapons.

The only case where this holds remotely true is when you have a sparring wrestler and a dwarf carrying a weapon, as the dwarf carrying the weapon will match wrestling with wrestling.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Wyvern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 02:02:03 pm »

That isn't true. I've had plenty of macedwarves, swordsdwarves, hammerdwarves, speardwarves, and any other weapondwarf train successfully with each other despite them using different weapons.

The only case where this holds remotely true is when you have a sparring wrestler and a dwarf carrying a weapon, as the dwarf carrying the weapon will match wrestling with wrestling.

If that's true, that might be what's going on.  Since the surviving champion wrestlers were the most experienced soldiers I had, I left one in charge of each squad, so they might be forcing everyone else to wrestle against them.  I'll try putting them all together and having every other squad be armed-only and see if that fixes it.

Unless they refuse to switch once they achieve a certain competence with wrestling...you'd think that even with a third of my force being wrestlers, the ones that were supposed to have been armed would have paired up at least occasionally.  Unless they spar in larger groups than one-on-one.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 05:17:40 pm »

Your dwarves are holding another dwarf's armor in their hands. There's a known bug where if a dwarf is holding a piece of armor in his hands he won't use any weapons held in said hand. A second bug exacerbates this, if a dwarf is holding a piece of armor of equal or lesser layering (leather/chain/plate) he will look at that set of *copper chain leggings* in his hand, say "Oh, I'm supposed to be wearing chain armor" and hold onto it.

There are some ways to get rid of these items. You can order them dumped and a dwarf with refuse hauling will go take the item to the nearest garbage dump. The best way I know of is to assign the dwarf to wear no armor. They'll look at that *copper chain leggings*, say "Oh, I'm not supposed to be wearing this", and drop it. Then you can assign them whatever armor you want and they'll put it on. Has never yet failed me.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 09:14:43 pm »

Are you SURE they're only training wrestling? Check their skill list; wrestling just trains faster than weapons.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.