Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training Marksman Dwarfs  (Read 572 times)

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training Marksman Dwarfs
« on: December 19, 2009, 11:38:33 pm »

I have a target range all set up, and 3 dwarfs drafted into my army all armed with crossbows and bolts. I have made a target range room and I have 4 targets set up. How do I get my dwarfs to practice with them?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Training Marksman Dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 11:41:39 pm »

You need the soldiers to be standing down, and you need to make sure that they have practice, i.e., wooden or bone bolts, and you need to make sure that the targets are facing the correct direction.

After that, it's patience.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 03:15:09 am »

You also need to make sure that the Marksdwarves are holding nothing in their hands except their Crossbows and (optionally) a Shield or Buckler. If they are holding someone else's pants or something, mark it for dumping.
Never pet a burning dog.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 03:54:49 am »

Also, make sure a target range room is made from each target.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 04:34:41 am »

You also need to make sure that the Marksdwarves are holding nothing in their hands except their Crossbows and (optionally) a Shield or Buckler. If they are holding someone else's pants or something, mark it for dumping.
See, stuff like this is why I am terrible at DF. I would never even begin to think that the reason my marksdwarves aren't practicing is that they ripped each others clothes off wrestling.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 05:02:49 am »

If they are holding someone else's pants...
Damn you mind for thinking of how they could get into that situation without wrestling...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 05:06:59 am »

See, stuff like this is why I am terrible at DF. I would never even begin to think that the reason my marksdwarves aren't practicing is that they ripped each others clothes off wrestling.
Read the wiki. It is really hard to learn the game without that.