Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma + Water + Midflight = rocks?  (Read 2614 times)

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma + Water + Midflight = rocks?
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:30:47 pm »

I took a search and this isn't anywhere I can find.

As the subject says. Could a person design a series of pumps to put 1 unit of magma and then one unit of water in an unattached space? This would cause a cave-in and put one unit of obsidian at a bottom of a chute?

|_+_|     Z-Level view:
|___|        | - Wall
|___|        _ - Open space
|___|        D - Door
|___|        + - contact point
|_R_D        R - Rock

|___|     Top-down view:
|_+_|
|___|

I dont need to be told that the resulting "Cave-in" Messages would go crazy, But could it work?
The trick would be putting the magma at just the right point. Im think 2-Deep liquids behind pumps.

What would also happen with a bridge with magma + obsidian? Would the stone drop after it is retracted?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 10:32:30 pm by CaptApollo12 »
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma + Water + Midflight = rocks?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:41:05 pm »

I took a search and this isn't anywhere I can find.

As the subject says. Could a person design a series of pumps to put 1 unit of magma and then one unit of water in an unattached space? This would cause a cave-in and put one unit of obsidian at a bottom of a chute?

|_+_|     Z-Level view:
|___|        | - Wall
|___|        _ - Open space
|___|        D - Door
|___|        + - contact point
|_R_D        R - Rock

|___|     Top-down view:
|_+_|
|___|

I dont need to be told that the resulting "Cave-in" Messages would go crazy, But could it work?
The trick would be putting the magma at just the right point. Im think 2-Deep liquids behind pumps.

What would also happen with a bridge with magma + obsidian? Would the stone drop after it is retracted?
Not sure about the rest of the post, but if you form obsidian on a bridge (retracted or otherwise) it will cease to exist. The material used to construct it might be embedded in the obsidian, however. I'm not sure what happens when a cave-in hits a bridge - surprisingly, it's never happened to me - but I'm fairly certain it would deconstruct.

I have a suspicion that you could have an easy method for the "unattached" obsidian; bridges. They won't support adjacent constructions (floors, etc). It may behave differently for cast-obsidian walls however, but I suspect it would be an instant cave-in. It would be even more awesome if it didn't cave-in until you retracted/raised the bridge.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:45:13 pm »

Yeah, totally doable.

There was one thread where a bunch of us got together and designed a cave-in generator using magma and water to make obsidian blocks that would fall when formed. It sounds pretty similar to what you're trying to do, so I dug it out from the depths of the forum.

That thread is here.

What are you planning on doing with it? If you just want a column of obsidian, it'd be easier to fill the whole gap and dig out a single column. But since you asked for unattached obsidian, I provided.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 11:43:55 pm »

I've actually done something like this before. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39629.msg680757#msg680757 is the design I used. I'd recommend replacing the "open space" with drawbridges raised up. They'll block fluids like a wall, but will not support obsidian generation. It also works best with a sort of water/magmalock system, with a chamber to be filled before being let onto the bridge. This prevents too much liquid from entering the chamber at once, which causes left over fluid, and the possiblity of obsidian forming on (and thus destroying) one of your bridges. Yes, it will automatically collapse, and yes it will generate cave in dust, but I don't recall about the obsidian. The only real use for it that I can think of is using the magical cave in dust to get [trAPAVOID] enemies into cage traps, as they'll be caught when knocked out. However, it may also work for obsidian generation. Good luck, and have fun.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 06:59:53 pm »

Thankyou everyone. That link was what I kind of was thinking. The purpose was to have an obsidian farm that is only lever-operated. The obsidian would fall to the ground and be collected.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 09:10:13 pm »

Hold on there, folks.  The OP said: "rocks"  Like the items.  Not the obsidian walls that you get.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:51:21 pm »

Yeah, natural walls don't deconstruct. Obsidian is natural here.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 08:40:00 am »

Also, every other second you'll be facing an annoying pause from a cave in, unless you're using an unpauser like in dtil.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:40:32 pm »

Not sure about the rest of the post, but if you form obsidian on a bridge (retracted or otherwise) it will cease to exist.

Neither the bridge nor the obsidian will cease to exist.  You can mine the obsidian out over the bridge like normal.  If the bridge is hooked to a lever, it will continue to operate as normal, completely ignoring the obsidian walls it's been merged with.  I don't know what happens to items embedded in the obsidian when "crushed" by a bridge.  If you form obsidian over a constructed floor, the floor will cease to exist and will be replaced by a natural obsidian floor.  If you channel the floor, there's nothing there.  In that case...

The material used to construct it might be embedded in the obsidian, however.

No, but it does go to item Limbo.  The material (e.g. the stone used to construct the floor) is not destroyed like via atom smasher, and it's not embedded or otherwise accessible, but it does remain in the stocks screen.  It's very strange.

I'm not sure what happens when a cave-in hits a bridge - surprisingly, it's never happened to me - but I'm fairly certain it would deconstruct.

Yeah, it just deconstructs.  Kinda sucks too, since bridges take forever to design, build, and link.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 05:03:26 pm »

One similar example I have seen (and constructed recently in a fort) creates a wall and seals itself.
MMM            M = Magma
MHM            H = Hatch
MMM            W = Wall
               . = Empty space
WWW            7 = Water
WHW            + = Ground

+++
+++
+++

Water and empty space is channeled out, but the ground isn't (otherwise the water would fall). 1 empty space level and 2 water levels are necessary for this to work. The double hatch ensures only 7 magma is allowed to fall at a time.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 05:06:43 pm »

Actually, MrFake, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about bridges not ceasing to exist. If the obsidian is formed on top of a bridge, with only the bridge as support (no layer above even. This is important!), it will automatically cave in, destroying the bridge. I don't think I still have my save file with the set up for this, but I definitely remember it

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 12:22:39 am »

It would be great if I could have them collide in mid-flight. Like the magma and right after the water. Something like falling velocity would be cool to use. Shoot high pressure water out of a hole in a ceiling to intercept a single 1/7 magma, but im sure toady has it at a constant... Could someone who has read something along these lines tell me?
[][][][]W[][]
_P>_P>___[]
M[]m[]___[]
[][][][]___[]
[][][][]___[]
W- Water pressure to come from here
M - magma supply
m - your 1 magma will come from here
P - Pump
> - Pump to-direction
[] - wall
_ Empty space

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 12:33:34 pm »

When designing these devices it is very important to remember that the obsidian rocks must be formed away from walls. Otherwise the resulting block will be supported and will not fall.

=======W==
======___=
_P>_P>___=
M==m==F__=
======___=

= - Wall
F - Floodgate

Here is a simple modification to the previous design. The floodgate causes the magma to flow over to the water and form rocks supported only by the floodgate. Simply toggle the floodgate to drop. Connecting the floodgate to a repeater might automate the design.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 12:56:51 pm »

I know for sure that bridges don't support obsidian. Also, raised drawbridges act like walls, correct? Thus, why not use raised drawbridges for walls in these designs.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 01:32:15 am »

Sorry for the inactivity.

Because a raised bridge has to be built on a floor tile
Pages: [1] 2