Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Vote Mafia 4: Let's Bureacratically Solve This! (Game Over! Mafia Win)  (Read 36940 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vote Mafia 4: Let's Bureacratically Solve This! (Day 2)
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2010, 01:57:13 pm »

I SAID TO STOP TALKING ABOUT IT LEAFSNAIL AND APOSTOLIC NIHILIST

On one hand, I agree with you.  The argument is drawing a lot of what little focus we have in on itself.  On the other hand, it's a good thing that they are pushing at each other.  Judging by the strength of the reactions, one or the other is likely to be scum.

Personally, I disagree with you though.  I think that Apostolic Nihilist is using too much flowery language to try to drive home his point and by extension not thinking his points through as well as he could be.

@JanusTwoFace:
Which reactions?
Who else is scum?
What would you do if AN flipped town? Scum?
If Vector flipped town? Scum?
Despite the fact you KNOW it's anti-town, why do you insist on letting the fight continue?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 07, 2010, 02:39:29 pm »

Pandarsenic is scum.
Leafsnail is probably town.
Mr.Person is leaning town.
Janus is either way.
Apostolic is most likely scum.
Vector is probably town, helping town is gooood.

Anybody else I haven't noticed and are therefore lurking.

PandaUPick has been really stressful right now, I'll be back in shape here in no time flat though.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #212 on: January 07, 2010, 05:05:33 pm »

***Wall of text warning ***

Spoiler: Responses to Vector (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Response to Mr.Person (click to show/hide)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2010, 06:06:51 pm »

That and school starting again.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 07, 2010, 07:08:13 pm »

I suppose you missed this, though it was sprayed all over the place in a couple threads.  I've been on vacation until yesterday, with minimal internet access.  I also slept terribly for two weeks.  Yesterday, I got home at midnight or so after dealing with airports for 10 hours (9 pm my time), and then had to stay up until the point of utter brain-deadness--i.e., 3 in the morning--to reregulate myself to the usual time zone.

That would be why I didn't post yesterday.  I try to be at least semi-coherent when writing in here.

That I did.  This is the only game that I'm currently still in.  Without knowing that, I think that I was perfectly in the right to accuse you of promising to deliver and not.  I really don't want to get into this argument again though, you're not the only person to do this.

I didn't vote you because I don't really suspect you that much of being scum.  I merely thought that you were lurking and that a FoS/vote would fix that.  I wanted to vote AN, so FoS it was.  And it worked, yes?

Although I'm  a little puzzled why you have appearantly mostly responded to the most recent post in the thread (at the time).  There's a lot more in the thread to react to after all.  You did post a list of scum/not scum, but not much beyond that.

You're overreacting.  You asked why I was gone; I told you why I was gone.  I said nothing about asking why you FoS'd me rather than voting.  Why explain things that don't need explanation?  Why behave as though I were attacking you, when I said only that I was providing my excuses?

I never said you weren't in the right to threaten me.  I informed you of my reasons for being gone, but for unknown reasons you are taking it as some sort of virulent attack.

As far as responding only to the most recent post, it was the one that stuck out the most.   I opened other ones in tabs, decided they canceled each other out, and didn't mention them.  You had a couple posts that seemed noteworthy; hence, I mentioned

Passiveness and attacking stupid/small things.  If you're reaction-testing, your blows are too mild; if you're making a genuine attack, you're going after far too little.  I know you're a good player, and this is nonsensical in either direction.

Random votes mean anything to you?  At least it was game related.  And I've already defended my play style on day 1.  I try to be agressive, but that's just not the kind of person I am.

That's a post that contains no votes, just a couple of gentle taps at Pandarsenic and eduren.  Anyway, I'm mostly letting this one slide given your known passiveness in other games as town.

1.  Yes.  I really think they do.  And no, I'm not trying to line up lynches, I'm trying to make sure that there is at least some activity on this threa.

2.  Ignoring the people that are already dead is one of the stupidest things that we can do.  They're talking about Zai.  Zai was killed by the scum.  How does that *not* relate to scum hunting?  One of our greatest sources of information is who the scum choose to kill when.  Why did they choose to kill Zai last night?

3.  Fair enough.  I wasn't focusing as much as I could have been on the points he was making because that had already been done to death by Leafsnail.  It really didn't need any more than a mention, which I gave it.

2. Ah.  What I mean is that they're spending a good deal of time talking about Zai's role and how useful/unuseful it is.  I don't really see why an argument about Zai's role being useful/useless paints Apost scum-colored.

3. It follows that your argument really is that you're voting Apost due to disliking his use of adjectives, rather than from any sort of connection between adjectival use and scummitude.  Many of us have unusual speech patterns; some of us tend to paint things in grandiose terms with startling frequency.

Surely you noticed something else of interest in the past 15 pages?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2010, 07:44:34 pm »

Janus:
The adjectives stood out to me.  That's exactly what scum hunting is, finding things that stand out and talking about them to see if they might be scum behavior.
I agree that your accusations of "flowery language" is a legitimate way to get reactions out of people. However, when you put someone at the top of your scumlist without anything else to go off of, you seem to be having real trouble finding scum.

In fact, While I agree with your claim, you seem to have skipped a step. You went straight from noticing it to calling him Scummy McScumScum without the "talking about them" part.

Also, why is Leafsnail nowhere on your scumlist? Logically, since you claim that one or the other is scum, that moves both of them up your list?

Mr Person: You haven't been doing much hunting lately. Who is scum and why?

Pandar: Same as Person
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2010, 09:26:12 pm »

Hah, I never use that step Eduren.

@Pandarsenic:
Thoughts on the Janus wagon?

@Eduren:
Make a scum list too!  Don't tell others to without doing one yourself man.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2010, 09:50:15 pm »

I agree that your accusations of "flowery language" is a legitimate way to get reactions out of people. However, when you put someone at the top of your scumlist without anything else to go off of, you seem to be having real trouble finding scum.

I switched to voting Apostolic Nihilist because I was sick of voting for you and you not posting.  It really wasn't helping much.  This is the first decent post you've had in a fair while.  You're still the second most likely person to be scum in my book.  (From the Response to Mr.Person earlier)

In fact, While I agree with your claim, you seem to have skipped a step. You went straight from noticing it to calling him Scummy McScumScum without the "talking about them" part.

He did something suspicious, I voted him for it.  That doesn't necessarily mean that he's guaranteed to be the most likely scum, but it does mean that I'm paying more attention to him.

Also, why is Leafsnail nowhere on your scumlist? Logically, since you claim that one or the other is scum, that moves both of them up your list?

Leafsnail is not on my direct scum list because I doubt that both AN and Leafsnail are scum.  I think AN is scum therefore Leafsnail is fine for now.  If AN dies and turns town, then I'll reconsider Leafsnail.

Surely you noticed something else of interest in the past 15 pages?

Huh.  15 pages... Wow.  I have my posts per page up really high, so I'm only showing 5, but that's still a lot of content. 

Most of the last few pages were made up of the interactions between Leafsnail and AN.  Then comments on the other interesting things were in the responses to Mr.Peron.  Here it is again (not spoilered):

Most likely scum IMO (in order of descending scummitude):
- Apostolic Nihlist for the reasons in my last post
- eduren for lurking up a storm and I still haven't forgotten RVS
- ToonyMan for being quieter than he normally is and less forcefuls in his '*insert name here* is scum's
- ExKirby / Vector for acting unusually before the personality transplant and going after only the most recent post afterwards (so far)
- anyone that I'm not thinking of because they haven't been posting

I'll admit that I may have jumped on AN a little strongly, but until he posts some sort of response I'll leave my vote.  It's been about 24 hours since his last post here although he joined Horrible Role Mafia about 4 hours ago.

Right back at you of course.  Anything interesting other than my post that you've already analyzed?

Also, Pandarsenic, are you back yet?  I think you said that you were hoping to get your laptop back today and you haven't posted in a while.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2010, 11:46:09 pm »

Janus and Pandarsenic are my guess. Beyond them, Apostolic Nihilist and ToonyMan would be my next guesses. Janus is down below, Pandarsenic is MOSTLY because everybody else is looking town and he's active lurking, AN for focusing on the Zai-dorf what-should-of-been lynch way too much, and ToonyMan isn't really being aggressive.

Janus:

Which reactions?

Reaction was probably the wrong word.  Perhaps the strength of the arguments?

You still avoid telling me which arguments. Noted.

Who else is scum?

Most likely scum IMO (in order of descending scummitude):
- Apostolic Nihlist for the reasons in my last post
- eduren for lurking up a storm and I still haven't forgotten RVS
- ToonyMan for being quieter than he normally is and less forcefuls in his '*insert name here* is scum's
- ExKirby / Vector for acting unusually before the personality transplant and going after only the most recent post afterwards (so far)
- anyone that I'm not thinking of because they haven't been posting

So I haven't been posting, but Eduren has? Is that what you're saying?

ToonyMan, is that really the only reason that you've been quieter than normal?

What do you mean by this? We can't read your mind.

What would you do if AN flipped town? Scum?

If AN flipped town, I would first think to look more closely at Leafsnail, but would probably go back to one of the other's on my list.  Eduren if he hasn't posted anything of value between now and then.

If AN flipped scum, I would be happy because that means we're down to one scum and continue scum hunting.  I don't think AN and Leafsnail are both scum, but I won't discount the possiblity.  Still, eduren would probably be next.

Good lord, I don't think you could possibly say anything scummier. I love how you feel the need to point out you'd be happy with lynching scum and that'd you continue scumhunting. I may not be alone in this, but those are kind of implied. The fact you pointed it out meant you wanted us to know you scumhunt. Why do you feel the need to convince us you're scumhunting via any method other than actually scumhunting? Same thing about being happy to have lynched scum, although since I asked, I guess that's kind of what I should have been expecting you to say.

You don't think they're both scum, but you're not going to discount the possibility? Way to take a stand there, John Kerry. You can't take both sides, when I ask you what you think, you're supposed to say what you think, not what's possible. It SOUNDS like you've decided to discredit the idea that both AN and Leafsnail are scum, so you've just lied to me.

Despite the fact you KNOW it's anti-town, why do you insist on letting the fight continue?

A fight like that can be either town or anti-town, it depends on how we use it.  For the most part, the fight had/has died down, so I don't think we have to worry too much about it.  I hadn't personally had a chance to comment on it, so I took the time to do so while it was still relatively fresh.

If/when it turns out that AN was actually scum, then was the fight really as anti-town as you think now?

Are you kidding me? Anybody with a brain can see that you tried to get the fight to continue. If you said that you wanted AN to get lynched so that's why you wanted the fight to continue, I would of been ok with that. Instead, you decide to try to brush your involvement aside and try and flip the attack onto me.

Do you say if you think the fight is anti-town or pro-town? No. Do you say whether you want the fight to continue? No. Do you say what you want to get from the fight? No.

So yeah, JanusTwoFace.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 07, 2010, 11:52:52 pm »

I switched to voting Apostolic Nihilist because I was sick of voting for you and you not posting.  It really wasn't helping much.  This is the first decent post you've had in a fair while.  You're still the second most likely person to be scum in my book.  (From the Response to Mr.Person earlier)
So you don't have anything else on Apost?

He did something suspicious, I voted him for it.  That doesn't necessarily mean that he's guaranteed to be the most likely scum, but it does mean that I'm paying more attention to him.
But you have made him your most likely scum. By your hunting practices, the actual behavior isn't very scummy, but the reasoning behind the behavior could be. So you have elevated somebody to most likely scum for a behavior that he has not had a chance to defend. I understand that the vote adds pressure, but what I am worried about is how quickly he jumped up the list.

Leafsnail is not on my direct scum list because I doubt that both AN and Leafsnail are scum.  I think AN is scum therefore Leafsnail is fine for now.  If AN dies and turns town, then I'll reconsider Leafsnail.
Well I was thinking statistically. You said "one or the other" and that should (No matter what you think of Apost) elevate his scumminess. Or at least it would for me...  I understand though.

Scumlist(in order):
Janus- He seems inconsistent. If I could get a better read on him, he'd probably go down the list.
Mr. Person- Question+sideline. doesn't sit right with me.[Edit]:New post, Ill rethink
Toonyman- Hasn't had much content, apparently will get better.
Leafsnail- A strategy disagreement is grounds for scummitude? If there was something else to it then maybe.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #220 on: January 08, 2010, 12:04:07 am »

You still avoid telling me which arguments. Noted.

The whole argument between Leafsnail and AN.  Not any particular post(s).

So I haven't been posting, but Eduren has? Is that what you're saying?

Is this what you meant to say?

I noticed Eduren wasn't posting too much because I was already paying attention to him earlier.  He's posting more now.

What do you mean by this? We can't read your mind.

I was replying to an earlier post of his.  He appearantly could read my mind just fine.

Good lord, I don't think you could possibly say anything scummier. I love how you feel the need to point out you'd be happy with lynching scum and that'd you continue scumhunting. I may not be alone in this, but those are kind of implied. The fact you pointed it out meant you wanted us to know you scumhunt. Why do you feel the need to convince us you're scumhunting via any method other than actually scumhunting? Same thing about being happy to have lynched scum, although since I asked, I guess that's kind of what I should have been expecting you to say.

And if I had not responded or responded only in part, you would have found that scummy.  I answered your question truthfully.  Not really anything more I can say about that.

You don't think they're both scum, but you're not going to discount the possibility? Way to take a stand there, John Kerry. You can't take both sides, when I ask you what you think, you're supposed to say what you think, not what's possible. It SOUNDS like you've decided to discredit the idea that both AN and Leafsnail are scum, so you've just lied to me.

That's how I think.  I won't discount something I think is unlikely, I just won't focus as much energy on it.  Then if it becomes more likely, I consider it again.

Do you say if you think the fight is anti-town or pro-town? No. Do you say whether you want the fight to continue? No. Do you say what you want to get from the fight? No.

I'll say this as plainly as I can then:
- Ended up pro-town
- No (it's over anyways)
- Yes, a read on Leafsnail and AN

So you don't have anything else on Apost?

Leafsnail posted a fair bit in their fight.  And AN still hasn't posted.  Nothing new until we get more posts.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2010, 12:20:17 am »

@Janus again, last question for awhile since I'm going to go sleep.

If the fight WERE to continue, what would you want to happen at the end of THAT fight?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #222 on: January 08, 2010, 01:21:26 am »

If the fight WERE to continue, what would you want to happen at the end of THAT fight?

I don't think that further fighting strictly between Leafsnail and Apostolic Nihilist would prove beneficial.  Without more people on each side mayhaps, but not just those two.

However, if such a fight were to take place, it would be interesting to see if either parties' opinion had changed.

Scummy:
- If either backs down without sufficient explanation
- If they continue to hold their ground strongly without new information (escalating without cause)

Less scummy:
- If they use what's been said since their last posts and update their views

Of course, now that these have been pointed out, a scum Leafsnail or scum AN would be careful to avoid these cases and we'd instead have to watch for them being too careful to hide their tracks (and therein lies WIFOM and madness), but that's how it goes.

There's probably more to it than that, but I should probably get some sleep at some point myself.  If I think of anything more in teh morning, I'll post it.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 08, 2010, 03:38:03 am »

My insomnia says that can't be the case. Janus, wouldn't the most desirable outcome for you logically be the one you think is scum getting lynched? In this case, shouldn't your response be "Apostolic Nihilist getting lynched"? You're trying to hide the fact you want him lynched (hiding info is scummy and lying is scummy and spending time trying to get the "right" answer is scummy), so either way, you're scum.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 08, 2010, 06:11:32 am »

So, ToonyMan and Apostolic Nihilist: who do you think are scum, and why?

At this point? I still think Leafsnail is scummy. Less so than I did before (admittedly, my attacks were shallow and ridden with holes), but I think the way he behaved yesterday was scummish. Tossing his vote around, for instance. He had somewhat valid reasoning, but it's still odd.

I have a vague-ish feeling that Janus might be town. Zai's vote was on Janus at the end of D1, which means Zai would've been confirmed to him. If he was scum, there'd be no reason to nightkill him. He could take him out N2, if need be, and the WIFOM of Zai still being alive would likely overwhelm town. If Janus claimed to have gotten a 'town' message from Zai and he flipped town, I'm sure we'd all consider Janus to be significantly more townie.

Oh, and Janus: "flowery" language is rife throughout almost all of my posts -- it's not an anomaly.

"Ridiculously small chance"?  Heck, even if we'd asked random.org who to lynch yesterday, we'd still have a nearly 1/4 chance of getting one.  Add the fact that dorf was the scummiest in the game by far and the chance was a lot higher.

All is not lost on the rolefront - I am starting to think the Neighbour Voter is significantly weaker than we thought it was in the hands of town, and not as bad in the hands of scum.  Scum can just make sure they're always on a lynch or a buddy, while in town hands it only creates a CT for one day (we have no protection from the mafia NK).  And having a Shielded Voter might not be too bad - heck, if the Backup voter is scum, the scum now have one less vote.
Dorf wasn't a bad lynch, but I still don't think he was the 'best'.

Funny how you ignored ExKirby's 4th (supposedly random) vote on Pandarsenic.
Also funny, how you apparently missed my post explaining why his vote was weird.
Scummy self preservation is scummy.
That was hardly a self-preservation act. I was merely pointing out how you dismissed EK of all scumminess and decided to get all aggro on me, for some reason.

I see two possible reasons:
  • You are scum and as such you don't care who gets lynched, just that it's a townie. You might have targeted me, because I'm new and speculated that I wouldn't properly defend myself and would say something stupid (again) that would get me wagon'd.
  • Seeing how you have just started playing, you could still be RVSing or scumhunting.

I will now compile ALL Leafsnail's posts, since the beginning of the game:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, the first four (~60%) of his posts were just jumping from one person to another. On the fourth, he jumped on me again and that lasted for two posts. And now (7th and latest post) he jumped again to Zai.

Seriously, the tone of this post implies an attack on me, but there is none there.  How come? It seems like you're trying to see who you can lynch rather than who is scum.
No it's still not an attack on you. But you have raised suspicions now, Leafsnail.
Unlike you, I haven't been all over the place with my votes and have provided reasoning for them (it).
It's not over yet, but due to recent events I have to temporarily redirect focus elsewhere.

Now about the Zai situation...
His WIFOM-filled wall of text wreaks of scumminess. He saw we're getting on to him, so he quickly decided to change tactics and go all lawyer-y on us.
He wants to generate enough doubt to get himself cleared. I don't buy it.

It's important to note that Dorf was attacking Leafsnail constantly; while his 'vote' (or lack, thereof) remained on Zai, he was still focused on Leafsnail. The way he approached left him wide open to attack, and Leafsnail easily took advantage of this and lead the charge. He was being passive which drew the attention of everyone else and soon enough he was dead.

Leafsnail's entire attack on dorf was based off OMGUS. I think Leafsnail wanted two things:

1. He didn't want Zai to be lynched. He could get rid of him at night and prevent his role from being passed on to others.
2. He wanted the suspicions against him to be dropped. He took out dorf, and the push was easy.

I think the whole debacle with Zai yesterday was useful, even if it ended badly. Scum don't like confirmed townies running around, so while they could easily push a lynch on him, the threat of the Neighborly Voter role floating around once more was too great. They needed to avoid a Zai lynch at all cost.

Leafsnail and Mr.Person are the 'scummiest' on my list of scummitude so far.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21