Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: New Reactions Please submit your cool reactions  (Read 5088 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: New Reactions Please submit your cool reactions
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 07:20:27 pm »

words
Not required.
Threads are defined by the [WAFERS] tag.  Without it, your stone will smelt into bars.
With it, your stone will smelt into threads.

If your metal can be used for clothing, but not thread, it'll use the bars.
Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)
If your metal can be used for clothing and thread, it'll use the threads.
Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 10:00:32 pm »

words
Not required.
Threads are defined by the [WAFERS] tag.  Without it, your stone will smelt into bars.
With it, your stone will smelt into threads.

True but don't you require 3 times as many [WAFERS] to forge an item as you require bars? I'm not going to add the [WAFERS] tag to any metal I'm going to use for forging armor, weapons, or furniture.

From the wiki here http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Adamantine (this might be out of date)

Forging things out of adamantine requires a number of wafers equal to item's MATERIAL_SIZE. This is usually about three times as many as are needed for constructions with bars of other metals, since one metal bar counts for 3 MATERIAL_SIZE. For instance, plate mail has [MATERIAL_SIZE:9] and normally requires three metal bars to forge; adamantine plate mail requires nine adamantine wafers. Helm has [MATERIAL_SIZE:2] and normally requires one metal bar to forge; adamantine helm requires two adamantine wafers. Large furniture takes 9 full wafers and small furniture (buckets, chains) takes 3 full wafers (compare to 3 bars and 1 bar respectively for other metals). Miscellaneous craft items are only 1 wafer, and you still get a full set of 3 goblets. This makes goblets far and away the best option if you want to maximize your adamantine wealth, even moreso than in other materials.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 10:40:06 pm »

Some of these reactions look useful, but I am uncertain how to implement them. Do I just dump them at the end of reaction_standard.txt? Will it require genning a new world?

I am pretty clueless about reactions in general. I wanted to modify some reactions, mainly to make it a little less time consuming (and wood intensive) to make a fort out of clear glass, but I can't find the ash/potash/pearlash reactions. Are they hard coded? Searching the raw/objects folder, the only reference to them that I found were to things like kind of tree called ash, or the profession potash maker.

Likewise, how do I go about making items and armor out of glass? I presume I can just add [WEAPON] to the proper entry, but there doesn't appear to be a matgloss entry for glass or clear glass. I am running a mod (Relentless Assault) but it's not like I am missing these things in-game. Just can't find them in the raws.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Either add to the existing reaction_standard.txt file or make a new file called something like reaction_new.txt that contains the reactions you wish to add (you will also have to copy the first few lines of the reaction_standard.txt file, but change so that the name matches the new file). Yes in most cases they require a world regen (there is a way around this where you keep the name of an existing reaction and change the commands).

The ash/potash/pearlash reactions are hard coded though you can make your own reactions to supplement them.

Likewise glass is hard coded so you will be unable to easily make glass armor. Some one did do an all glass mod with tons of reactions (try a search for glass fortress).

[REACTION:MAKE_GLASS_GREEN_WEAPON]
[NAME:make green glass short sword]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:3:SMALLGEM:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:25:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]

change GLASS_GREEN to GLASS_CLEAR or GLASS_CRYSTAL for the other types
change SMALLGEM (which would be cut raw glass) to GEM (a finished good called "Large cut green glass") or blocks or remove it and produce it unrealiscly (bad spelling)
WEAPON can be ARMOR,AMMO,PANTS,SHOES,HELMS,and so on just at the subtype is used from the same item_XXXX.txt
Glass has no matgloss there is no such thing as "Gold Green Glass" and so on
Hope this helps you

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 10:55:31 pm »

True but don't you require 3 times as many [WAFERS] to forge an item as you require bars? I'm not going to add the [WAFERS] tag to any metal I'm going to use for forging armor, weapons, or furniture.
Uh.  Yes.
I'm not quite following what the issue is here.
You cut my post in half.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 12:56:11 am »

[REACTION:SILVER_STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:make silver steel bars (use ore)]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:SILVER]
[REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:SILVER_STEEL]
[FUEL]
A superior but hard to get steel variant. Based off the "knight in shining armour" from myth / legend. It seems to replce most steel items at embark though, which is annoying.

[REACTION:ALUNAL_STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:make alunal steel bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:ALUNITE]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[PRODUCT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ALUNAL_STEEL]
[FUEL]

[REACTION:MICROCLINAL_STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:make microclinal steel]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:MICROCLINE]
[PRODUCT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:MICROCLINAL_STEEL]
[FUEL]

[REACTION:ORTHOCLASAL_STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:make orthoclasal steel bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:ORTHOCLASE]
[PRODUCT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ORTHOCLASAL_STEEL]
[FUEL]

Hey look, a use for all those useless pockets of shit stone. Not quite as good as standard steel, but much easier to make.

[REACTION:BLOOD_IRON_MAKING]
[NAME:make blood iron bars (use ore)]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:GEM:BLOODSTONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BLOOD_IRON]
[FUEL]

A very difficult to get variety of iron, but nearly as good as steel and once magic is implemented into DF (if it is) this will give some level of immunity to it.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 01:48:55 am »

It seems to replce most steel items at embark though, which is annoying.
Make it [DEEP].
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 02:33:04 am »

Thank you!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 02:43:50 am »

Sorry if it was too short: if you make a metal "deep", you cannot get it from traders/on embark, if you make a stone DEEP, it uses it to surround HFS. So as long as the metal only is "deep", it shouldn't touch HFS as long as you don't make another DEEP ore.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 10:24:36 am »

Uh.  Yes.
I'm not quite following what the issue is here.
You cut my post in half.

Well I'm going to try to explain my end of it without this devolving into a flame war.

My point is that you can make specific reactions for the metals you wish to have threads for without using the [WAFERS] token on the raw ore, it is just a different way of doing the same thing. I feel it has advantages should I wish to make clothing out of a metal I also wish to use in the production of weapons, armor, statues or furniture (iron clothing for example) yes I could use the wafers to make the other items but it cost me more in raw ore to do so (basically 1 bar = 3 wafers for production of items, but 1 raw ore makes either 1 bar or 1 wafer, which means that making large objects out of wafers costs me 3 times as much raw materials).

For example Plate mail
Plate mail = size 9 = 3 bars = 3 raw ore
Plate mail = size 9 = 9 wafers = 9 raw ore

If I had a metal that I only wished to make clothing and craft goods out of I would certainly go the wafer route as that is less of a headache. If I had a metal that I wanted to be rare and expensive to extract then I would go the wafer route. If I have a metal I want to use to make lots of big items and it isn't particularly rare but also want to make clothing out of it I would use my thread reaction.

[Edit] It would also be possible to make all metals wafers and then have a reaction to make bars for the large objects (probably out of raw ore as compressing 3 wafers to a bar is mostly pointless). I wonder if it is easier to store bars than wafers in a stock pile.[/Edit]

As far as removing half your post from the quotes I did it to save space, much like you replaced my post that you quoted with "words." I'm not offended by your replacing my post with "words" yet you seem to be offended by my shortening your post... Eh whatever, life is short.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:31:12 am by sunshaker »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 10:28:40 am »

Likewise glass is hard coded so you will be unable to easily make glass armor. Some one did do an all glass mod with tons of reactions (try a search for glass fortress).

[REACTION:MAKE_GLASS_GREEN_WEAPON]
[NAME:make green glass short sword]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:3:SMALLGEM:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:25:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]

change GLASS_GREEN to GLASS_CLEAR or GLASS_CRYSTAL for the other types
change SMALLGEM (which would be cut raw glass) to GEM (a finished good called "Large cut green glass") or blocks or remove it and produce it unrealiscly (bad spelling)
WEAPON can be ARMOR,AMMO,PANTS,SHOES,HELMS,and so on just at the subtype is used from the same item_XXXX.txt
Glass has no matgloss there is no such thing as "Gold Green Glass" and so on
Hope this helps you

*nods* The only problem you will run into with reactions that make armor is that they produce a default size armor, and the default size for the game is human. Which means all of the armor created by reactions in a dwarf smelter is classed as LARGE, which means you can't wear it. So yes you can produce it but you can't make the dwarves wear it (unless you edit them to be human sized).

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 10:41:53 am »

*nods* The only problem you will run into with reactions that make armor is that they produce a default size armor, and the default size for the game is human. Which means all of the armor created by reactions in a dwarf smelter is classed as LARGE, which means you can't wear it. So yes you can produce it but you can't make the dwarves wear it (unless you edit them to be human sized).

Acually thats a oversight on my side, Armor even if you make dwarves size 7 (human height) the armor will require [Narrow] then if you made dwarves [NARROW] it requires them to be stout, thus only weapons and sheilds are the only worn type that can be made safely with a reaction. this is were I say "MY BAD"

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 11:19:47 am »

Acually thats a oversight on my side, Armor even if you make dwarves size 7 (human height) the armor will require [Narrow] then if you made dwarves [NARROW] it requires them to be stout, thus only weapons and sheilds are the only worn type that can be made safely with a reaction. this is were I say "MY BAD"

Elves have the racial trait of [NARROW], dwarves have the racial trait of [STOUT], humans have neither. So you have 3 width sizes Narrow, Average and Stout. If your race is [STOUT] then Average and Narrow armor is classed as [NARROW], If your race is [NARROW] then Average and Stout sized armor is classed as [STOUT]. The reactions make Size 7 "Average" armor and clothing.

I myself didn't know about this until someone came asking here about ways to "cheat" to help him deal with an orc invasion (from the orc mod) he was not prepared for. He got a bunch of weapon and armor reactions from people here, the weapons ones worked but the armor ones didn't. Lots of people (including myself) learned about this quirk then. It isn't something anyone would be expected to know (because how often are you going to want an armor making reaction) until they tried it or heard about it.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 05:03:40 pm »

My point is that you can make specific reactions for the metals you wish to have threads for without using the [WAFERS] token on the raw ore, it is just a different way of doing the same thing. I feel it has advantages should I wish to make clothing out of a metal I also wish to use in the production of weapons, armor, statues or furniture (iron clothing for example) yes I could use the wafers to make the other items but it cost me more in raw ore to do so (basically 1 bar = 3 wafers for production of items, but 1 raw ore makes either 1 bar or 1 wafer, which means that making large objects out of wafers costs me 3 times as much raw materials).

As far as removing half your post from the quotes I did it to save space, much like you replaced my post that you quoted with "words." I'm not offended by your replacing my post with "words" yet you seem to be offended by my shortening your post... Eh whatever, life is short.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up.
You clearly (sorry) are missing my point.

If you don't add [WAFERS] to the metal, but you do add [ALL_USE], you will make metal clothing out of the bars, not the threads.
That is to say, [WAFERS] is only needed if you want to use three times the amount of metal to make objects, for balance purposes.  That is, of course, only used for the fun stuff in vanilla DF.

Thus, my point is that you don't need threads at all, that is, of course, unless you're dealing with wafer metals like the fun stuff.

I was complaining about you cutting my post in half because the two statements I made below that (which were cut out of the quote) were the actual important part of the post.
I wouldn't have said anything if you had replaced it with "words" as I had, since that doesn't seem to show that you're just ignoring parts of the post.  It doesn't matter that much.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 09:13:42 pm »

My favorites are these 20...

The stone clearing one saves a ton of time instead of dumping the stone, but gets rid of all stone, I don't know how to limit it to exclude specific types. The crossbow bolts ammo one is probably the most fun, mind you I lowered adamantine worth to 1, as well as most everything else.

Enjoy =-D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 02:46:59 pm »

I'm playing around with reactions to simulate magic spells. In order to simulate the magical nature and to give different races access to different spells I've used Toys as reagents (RUNE_STONE is Dwarven, MEDICINE_BAG is Elven, TOME or SCROLL is human, these can only be made by those races, though you could buy the others from the Traders). I'm not 100% sure on the syntax of the reactions (particularly the animal ones). I've not come up with any human ones as of yet.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:IRON_INTO_ADAMANTINE]
[NAME:turn iron into adamantine]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:TOY:ITEM_TOY_RUNE_STONE:STONE:BASALT]
[REAGENT:1:TOY:ITEM_TOY_RUNE_STONE:METAL:SILVER]
[REAGENT:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:1:BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:GOBLIN]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:PEARLASH:NO_MATGLOSS]
[REAGENT:1:SKULL:NO_SUBTYPE:ELF:STANDARD]
[REAGENT:1:PLANT:NONE:SLIVER_BARB:NONE]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:BRIMSTONE]