Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma flow speed? (by frames/steps)  (Read 839 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma flow speed? (by frames/steps)
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:25:30 pm »

How long does it take (measured in frames/steps, not real-time) for magma sourced from a magma pipe to flow down a one tile wide tunnel?  I thought I was being clever when I dug a tunnel slightly over 200 tiles long to move magma from the magma pipe to where I wanted to have my magma powered workshops, but it's taking seasons for the end of it to fill up to 7/7.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma flow speed? (by frames/steps)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:32:00 pm »

Yeah, fluids in DF diffuse really slowly. I suggest building an array of several pumps to push the magma forward a little faster, but keep the channel the same width - from my current understanding of pumps the magma should behave like an infinite source of water and "spawn" wherever it needs to be filled. Several pumps = several times the pumping speed, at least from my experiments using hyper-dwarves.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:36:50 pm »

Yeah, fluids in DF diffuse really slowly. I suggest building an array of several pumps to push the magma forward a little faster, but keep the channel the same width - from my current understanding of pumps the magma should behave like an infinite source of water and "spawn" wherever it needs to be filled. Several pumps = several times the pumping speed, at least from my experiments using hyper-dwarves.

EDIT: Actually, I didn't use a control for that experiment (I was just screwing around, gimme a break :D) so I'm not sure it'll be any faster than one pump, but it certainly seemed faster than magma's natural diffusion rate.

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:53:45 pm »

In my latest fortress I was having the same problem, I was filling a moat with lava along with a spot for forges and a part of a mega-construction (4 story 'apartments' for nobles which have channels around the edges and will have windows in there before I fill it with magma) and was having the problem of the lower parts filling but the actual moat would get a bit then 'dry up'. I originally had a 1 tile wide, 1 z-level channel but I then changed it to a 3 tile wide, 2 z-level channel and that filled a LOT faster. I know magma doesn't respond to pressure like water does but just having more there seems to make it flow better.
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.