Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: floodgates not working T_T  (Read 1608 times)

kungasi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
floodgates not working T_T
« on: December 19, 2009, 08:34:22 pm »

trying to get some floodgates to work (first time using them) and they wont

the water just passes right on through them, even when they're closed

Closed:

Open:

halp?
Your a dwarf dammit! The game gives you a challenge and you over come it in the most confusing and resource expending way possible!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: floodgates not working T_T
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 08:47:05 pm »

floodgates need to be built on the same level that the water is on, not the level above. As well, all liquids are capable of flowing diagonally; even if the floodgate is built on the same level as the water is, the water will still flow around the floodgate.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:07:34 pm »

Yup. Closing off water breaches is complicated in DF so you'll either have to make new channels or extend the ones you have already. Channel out every tile for your channel except for one so the water doesn't flood in, put the floodgates in, get your dwarves out of there and channel out the last tile. Voila.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:51:19 pm »

Unless the water freezes or you have magma, the only (reliable) way to build a floodgate in a space where there's already water involves a lot of screw pumps and swearing.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 05:52:07 am »

Or draining the river. Build a large cistern under the river, then leak it from the bottom. When the water flows out, just build the floodgates.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 12:40:57 pm »

What I did was just create a new, underground river, running to the end of the map. I just channelled and mined out a tunnel underground on the same level as the river, then put in floodgates, then channelled away the soil between the floodgates and underground river. Then I opened the floodgates with a lever so that the river ran into the tunnel.

Not all of the river was diverted, but the level sank to 1-3, letting me seal the leak by building a wall. I had to constantly un-suspend the construction every time the level rose too high, but it eventually got finished.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore