Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading question  (Read 896 times)

tylerb1230

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading question
« on: December 19, 2009, 08:25:54 pm »

In the trading menu how do you look inside crates and barrels to pick things like individual fish?

and one other question, if I wall off an area to cut down trees and cut them down will they grow back?

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading question
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 08:44:04 pm »

Don't think you can for the first one. The trees will randomly grow back.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:58:24 pm »

To view individual items, just use 'k', use +- to scroll to whatever object you want to view in the right pane, and press 'enter.'

And yeah, the trees do grow on their own. Takes at least a year for them to mature from saplings so you might have to wait a bit, or just cut some down somewhere else.

tylerb1230

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:16:00 pm »

but how do I trade an individual fish in a wooden barrel to an elf caravan?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:27:56 pm »

Pretty sure you have to get it out of the barrel, and move it to the depot that way.

Which is... difficult, to say the least.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

tylerb1230

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 10:36:19 pm »

then I guess I won't be trading food to elves...

guess it`s time to start a crafting business.

Angry Pierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 12:28:44 am »

When you are trading, all of the items in the bin appear underneath it in the trade menu. You can select the bin to trade it all (and the bin), or you can select individual items. You've probably done this already without noticing.

Edit: at least that's how it works when I trade stone crafts, I've never had any reason to trade anything else (please correct me if I'm wrong)

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 05:44:12 am »

Bringing the whole bin to the depot and trading only what you want is usually a good idea. And it is not a good idea to trade bins. You will need them later.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 06:56:42 am »

You especially don't want to give wooden bins to the elves... they don't like that :O

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 10:41:13 am »

Besides, you don't want to trade individual fish.  What you do want to do is trade high-quality fish meals.  Due to how the values and multipliers add up, prepared meals can get very, very expensive very fast.  Especially when you cook quarry bush leaves (which can have the highest stack count of any ingredient, barring bugs involving bringing lots of milk on embark).  Added bonus: dwarves don't try to stick food stacks that are large enough into barrels, they just stick them on the food stockpile, so you don't have to mess with the whole 'find a fish in a barrel' issue.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 02:25:03 pm »

I've noticed that barrels of prepared meals cannot be seperated from within the trade menu. The barrels' contents are not listed like you would normally expect. This makes prepared food untradable to elves, at least in my experience, unless you can somehow dump the contents out of the barrel before trading them.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:26:46 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 01:33:20 am »

I've noticed that barrels of prepared meals cannot be seperated from within the trade menu. The barrels' contents are not listed like you would normally expect. This makes prepared food untradable to elves, at least in my experience, unless you can somehow dump the contents out of the barrel before trading them.
When the elves come, designate a stockpile close to the depot that only accepts prepared food, set the max barrels to "0," then set it to take items from your food stockpile. You should have a bunch of uncontained food waiting next to your depot after that.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 03:28:31 am »

Wait, how does the "take from a pile" function work?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 04:16:51 am »

Wait, how does the "take from a pile" function work?
two stockpiles
stock pile a is 5z5 and filled with booze barrels.
stock pile b is a 1x2 and empty.
stock pile b is set to take from stock pile a
stock pile b fills up  from stock pile a.

Get it?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!