Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Dealing" with Children.  (Read 3288 times)

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
"Dealing" with Children.
« on: December 19, 2009, 08:23:15 pm »

In my current fort (14 years old) I've been restricting population growth via INI setting, as I usually find what kills forts for me is getting overwhelmed by immigration and having to spend all my time digging new apartment blocks intead of working on crazy projects.

My fort is quite mature at this point, and I'm working on preparing for a king and enhancing my exterior defenses as the Gobins are getting troublesome. It's taking a while... and I think the cause is that of my fortress population of 155 dwarves includes 57(!) children.

Does anyone have any good way of dealing with this? It's like a catsplosion of beardless little dwarflings. Obviously, I can't deal with them in the same manner as kittens (butchery and magma) without causing a tantrum spiral. I'm okay with waiting out the current gen, but my dwarves - particularly my military and my nobles - keep popping out kids like mad. Short of !!Kitten Tallow Condom||s for all, what options do I have?

anyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Dealing" with Children.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 08:31:59 pm »

Draft your overbreeding parents. The children should follow their mothers, and provide a nice meatshield for your regular military.

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:37:06 pm »

Unfortunately, the worst offenders are either already in the military ("Training," makes babies.) Or are nobility, and can't be drafted. (One of my Champions has 7 children, another has 9 children, yet another has 10, and my Duchess Consort has 5! These four dwarves account for more than half of the kids in my fort.)

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 08:39:15 pm »

magma. drown all objectors in magma.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 08:49:24 pm »

One of my Champion Hammerdwarves just gave birth WHILE fighting off a siege.

anyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 08:56:15 pm »

Unfortunately, the worst offenders are either already in the military ("Training," makes babies.) Or are nobility, and can't be drafted. (One of my Champions has 7 children, another has 9 children, yet another has 10, and my Duchess Consort has 5! These four dwarves account for more than half of the kids in my fort.)
This is why I don't allow female dwarves into my military. I would just undraft as many non-mothers as possible though, and let the rest get killed off/get their children killed.

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 08:56:30 pm »

You could try making your meeting areas and barracks bigger, or making more of them for your dwarfs to distribute themselves around. Dwarfs have a hard time getting to know one another, and thus start breeding like cats, if they're opposite ends of a 30 tile wide room.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 08:58:49 pm »

I hate to point out the simple and obvious while you are figuring out your elaborate schemes, but you do know there is a BABY_CHILD_CAP init setting to restrict children, right?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 09:10:25 pm »

In my fortresses I don't recruit female dwarves, and I keep everyone really really busy.  They don't have time to have kids.  This lasts until the nobles show up and start popping out children like mad.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 09:14:26 pm »

I hate to point out the simple and obvious while you are figuring out your elaborate schemes, but you do know there is a BABY_CHILD_CAP init setting to restrict children, right?

D'oh! Yes, I did know about it, but it completely slipped my mind all the times I went intot he ini to se tthe genreal population cap. Thanks!

Freeklace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 01:48:01 pm »

Ah yes... "Wrestling"

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 10:05:10 am »

I've taken to pop capping but also reducing the number of children allowed. 5-10 kids running around is like nothing if you're used to 50.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 10:36:16 am »

I posted this as a solution to pets, but with a few modifications it works well for children as well. Just change the job settings on the lever so that only the child can use it and make another lever some other accessible place so that your dwarves can conveniently trigger the spike traps when the target is in place.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 11:30:27 am »

Children follow their parents. Assign the lever to their parent, set it on repeat, then lock them in. When the child tries to go stand by their parent, they get skewered. You bastard.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 03:36:37 pm »

pit them in groups of 3-5 till thay all are Champions then let them out.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: [1] 2