Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lack of iron - cheating?  (Read 880 times)

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
Lack of iron - cheating?
« on: December 19, 2009, 06:41:12 pm »

Hey guys. I started near a volcano because I wanted to make magma forges. I found out, though, that my map lacks hematite. Since I don't want to start over I've been trying to make something else function as iron ore. I've been looking through the object files and all I've been finding has been gibberish rather than what I was actually supposed to be seeing (it looks like this):

xÚUQMK1ÍUEEEñÞ

Why is this? Is there a way I can fix this?

Second question: assuming I do fix this, how do I, say, make tetrahedrite ore turn into iron ore? Thanks.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of iron - cheating?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 06:42:45 pm »

You should be going through raw/objects instead of data/objects.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 07:17:59 pm »

Ah, thanks much. Any advice on converting tetrahedrite to hematite, though?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 07:20:52 pm »

Move this thread to the modding section and you'll have more luck there. Alternatively, butcher some goblins and melt their crap.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 07:22:42 pm »

Find the tetrahedrite entry in matgloss_stone_mineral.txt, and make the following change. From this:

Quote from: matgloss_stone_mineral.txt
[MATGLOSS_STONE:TETRAHEDRITE]
[NAME:tetrahedrite][COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:COPPER:100]
[METAL_ORE:SILVER:20]
[VALUE:3]

To this:

Quote from: matgloss_stone_mineral.txt
[MATGLOSS_STONE:TETRAHEDRITE]
[NAME:tetrahedrite][COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:IRON:100]
[METAL_ORE:SILVER:20]
[VALUE:3]

The number after the metal refers to the percentage chance of producing a bar of that metal from that piece of ore. So you get a 20% chance of producing silver every time you smelt a piece of tetrahedrite.

I hope you like cheating. (I do, but that's beside the point.)
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 07:27:45 pm »

Alright thanks a lot guys. Normally I wouldn't resort to cheating but like I said it's an extreme circumstance (too lazy). :U

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 08:28:15 pm »

You filthy cheater, you. Import the components from caravans and melt goblinite like a civillised dwarf. That's what I'm doing.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 08:28:55 pm »

If you want to find iron, your best bet is to find sedimentary rock. Even better is sedimentary flux stone like limestone, chalk, and dolomite. These often contain things like hematite, limonite, and magnetite (which comes in HUGE pockets and often contains entire veins of platinum). The metamorphic stone you often find near magma is kind of boring, with the exception of obsidian (which can be fairly metal rich, and is both valuable and very useful if you use swordsdwarves).

Of course, those are hard to find near magma. Since you don't mind cheating, delete marble from your raws. That should allow you to search for magma+flux and find absurdly metal rich zones.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Poot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 08:39:20 pm »

Well, the reason why I deduced why there is no iron on my map is because I used the reveal tool to make sure I have iron before I proceed further. I saw no hematite walls (mainly copper walls, etc). Does this neccessarily mean there is no hematite, period?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 08:55:04 pm »

So you are a cheater!

If you didn't see any hematite or limonite or magnetite from reveal, then the only source of iron you'll get is iron goblin equipment.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 09:18:23 pm »

So you are a cheater!

If you didn't see any hematite or limonite or magnetite from reveal, then the only source of iron you'll get is iron goblin equipment.
Isn't it ridiculously inefficient to smelt that stuff without magma? I checked and it requires fuel just like any other smelter reaction...[/question plug]

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 09:20:34 pm »

Yes, it is ridiculously inefficient to melt items down by fuel.

But DF players are addicted to magma. We must have it. Always. So it's usually not a problem.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 09:23:03 pm »

Yes, it is ridiculously inefficient to melt items down by fuel.

But DF players are addicted to magma. We must have it. Always. So it's usually not a problem.
Huh. I've been playing without it, guess I've been missing a lot. My hermit fort's got some though 8)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 01:40:18 am »

If you don't have access to magma (heathen!!) then either construct gigantic underground tower cap farms, or if you happen to have embarked on a forest or swamp, clearcut the place on a regular basis.

You can get staggering amounts of fuel from clearcutting wooded biomes. You can have multiple legendary woodcutters perform no other tasks except for cutting down trees pissing off elves and you will never strip the place bare due to how quickly the trees grow back.