Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves talking to Half-Men  (Read 1974 times)

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves talking to Half-Men
« on: December 19, 2009, 02:18:43 pm »

Elves can talk to the animal-man races (such as snakemen and batmen) and even get the most excitement-seeking ones to join their party.

Has anyone who has played an elf ever tried this? I believe I've tried once but had no success.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Elves talking to Half-Men
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:26:15 pm »

It seems that was a long time ago.
I think they animal men are just hostile to anything now.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 03:51:03 pm »

That's a negative, Phantom.  You can do it.  I know the animalmen CAN talk.  Some of them just speak really tilted.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 07:10:46 pm »

I know that npc elves chase after unicorns and fight them in fortress mode (unicorns are elf killing machines which is somewhat wrong), so talking to animal-men is probably out of the question...

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 08:42:17 pm »

It seems some more testing is needed.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 08:19:59 am »

it is possible that it was only in the 2D version that elves could do that. i'm not sure
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 10:52:08 am »

I know for a fact that elves can speak to half-men. I've done it before, it was quite fun. They didn't have anything interesting to say, mind. I didn't try recruiting them, though.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 03:07:03 am »

Any adventureer can talk to them, I believe.  Really, language is only used for naming things.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:05:01 pm »

Any adventureer can talk to them, I believe.  Really, language is only used for naming things.
I tried talking to some as a human. I think it might be that the elves can speak with them because animals don't attack them. So, while a human or dwarf COULD talk to them, they're hostile and not really interested in talking to you anyway.

Except I had a tamed snakeman once, he had some interesting things to say. Like how all his buddies starved to death.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:32:47 pm »

Except I had a tamed snakeman once, he had some interesting things to say. Like how all his buddies starved to death.

Screenshots or it didn't happen.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 10:24:55 pm »

Screenshots or it didn't happen.
It was ages ago, and snakemen were modded to be tame. I brought some on embark, and I chained some up. I didn't realise my snakemen needed food/water, so they all died, except for the one who I didn't have a chain for, who happily ate my food and drank from the river and got lovely conversation skills by talking to the dwarves in my meeting hall. Then I abandoned and came to chat with him. He told me he has no family, that here there were a bunch of dead snakemen and that I should wait till he returns home till I ask those questions!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 11:53:08 pm »

snake men are awsome.
Modded a race out of them for fun, the live in deserts and and much like a cross between kobolds and more aggressive goblins.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 01:29:15 am »

Animal-men used to have the [NATURAL] tag so they were friendly to elves. They don't have it any more, so elves can't talk to them anymore.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 03:02:57 am »

Hmm. I remember speaking with a Snakeman in a Gobbo Tower, but my memory is pre-tty fuzzy.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 03:41:21 am »

The benign ones such as slugmen (I think) are the ones people have been talking to.