Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slowdown investigation  (Read 646 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Slowdown investigation
« on: December 19, 2009, 08:03:08 am »

Can you look at what is causing the slowdown when large area's of ramps or smoothing jobs are designated. 

Large area's of stones can be set to be mined without the massive slowdown(even when reveled), so there must be something different about those two options.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slowdown investigation
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 08:35:51 pm »

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I thought I was forcing dwarves to repath for a while but I caught on eventually. I know when you mine or carve ramps from walls it can cause ramps to be marooned, and thus removed, I think whatever checks DF performs to remove ramps might be the culprit. Might be the result of some hack by Toady, I think the automatic removal of free-standing ramps is a relatively recent thing...

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Slowdown investigation
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:31:35 pm »

I think it's because it's very easy for the game to determine whether a section of wall is accessible or not, and then determine what jobs to assign, but when you designate smoothing, the game has to calculate the distance for every spot, since each one has to be at least exposed to open air.  There is a probably a workaround, or at least some way to approximate it faster and assign jobs less efficiently.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.