Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: My Mecha Story Idea  (Read 10062 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Mecha Story Idea
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2009, 06:37:06 am »

I just realized that my description did make them out to be like Zoids. I do like it, don't get me wrong, but I always intended for the top-half to be humanoid. Though I did describe it badly, since I had pictured the different parts to belong to different hanzers, as opposed to all of them combined into one, making a raptor hanzer.

For example, the the tail isn't like an animal tail, used to keep balance, but instead it's like a third appendage, equally serrated on the top and bottom, and could be manipulated to attack and defend.

However, the legs and the clawed arm are precisely what I had in mind. Big jump, fast approach, and claw attack. The chest compartment machine gun is a nice touch as well.

For the different countries, you have it pretty spot on. Faradaians are British/American and Granardandians are Russians. However, the Tenalians would probably be a bastard mix of french, german, and spanish.

You see, although I haven't written the background on it yet, Tenalia was originally many smaller nations that allied, and then combined into one in order to tackle the common enemy of Faradaia. The many different nationalities in Tenalia is supposed to be representative of that.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2009, 10:52:18 pm »

Looks pretty cool.

Too Zoidly, but not bad.

Josh seems to have the right idea somewhere.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2009, 01:15:39 am »

kay, kay, I'll tone down the zoidliness for the next ones.

I knew something looked funny about the big raptor head...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2009, 05:31:47 am »

Got any plans for the design?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2010, 02:49:40 am »

OKAY.
Here's a granardian Hanzer.

for its design, I thought of how it would function with and without the shield placed in front of it, and gave it attributes to suit either combat stance. The five pipes on its back are mortar tubes, used to fire on enemies in front of the shield. the shoulders are equipped with little movable cameras to see above and around the massed shields. the shields have teeth and hooks, you know, so they can fit together.

It also has a set of cameras lower on the body, for aiming its lower turret. The turret is supposed to fire from just under the reach of the shield (assuming the main body isn't crouched) and cripple the legs of enemy hanzers.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2010, 02:58:09 am »

?O.o?  That lower turret, looks like a...uh...wrong.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2010, 03:33:15 am »

Terrific Fault, you got the emblem and everything.

I'm assuming the "HURRR" is self-referential or something.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2010, 03:37:25 am »

?O.o?  That lower turret, looks like a...uh...wrong.

it's part of the whole "human caricature" idea. specifically an exaggerated masculine form.

ALSO: historically, dictatorships were often associated with chauvinism (the idea of males being the superior gender) and I think that that philosophy should be reflected in the design of their weapons and machinery. (compensating, maybe?)

of course, this idea would have to be thrown out the window if it turns out that the granardian dictator isn't male. I don't believe Josh has clarified the gender of their leader yet.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2010, 04:32:22 am »

I like the symbolism, even if I'm not as well-versed in the history of dictatorships. Though, I really wouldn't know how to describe it in-story.

"As they approached the border of Granardand, they saw something on the horizon. There stood several hulking hanzers lumbering into formation. On their arms, gigantic shields, capable of weathering any attack. On their chests, their countries emblem, a stalwart sword and shield. Between their legs, a huge gatling gun and two drums of ammo..."

I might have to omit that part actually, sorry.

But anyway, the dictator IS male, and I always picture him as a sort of combination of Fidel Castro and Stalin.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2010, 04:41:18 am »

ha ha.

I guess it would be awkward. I actually tried not to make it too phallic, it's just a gun, it doesn't have "two drums of ammo" (it's belt fed...). I can change the design if you want me to. No problem.

oh, and I have another question about the hanzers. to what scale can they be built? What is the range between, say, the smallest scout hanzer and the largest war machine?

EDIT: quick sketch of stalin von castro.

emphasis on the work quick.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:58:50 am by Fault »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2010, 06:47:59 am »

It's good just for that one thing, though I like how the iron spike on top reminds me of a pickelhaube though:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, the picture of President Andrei Axelev, which is what I've decided to name him, is great. He looks powerful, but also horribly corrupt with that power, which is what I'm going for in his character.

But anyway, I'm not too sure how to sum up scale in words, so let's see if I can whip something up in paint:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I apologize for my inability at art.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2010, 07:02:29 am »

flying mobile battle fortress? awesome!

also, Andrei Axelev is one cool name.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2010, 08:59:52 pm »

Do you mind if I try my hand at some Hanzers?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2010, 09:29:59 pm »

I don't mind, go right ahead.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2010, 09:49:31 pm »

Sweet! I'll probably have 1 Granardand Hanzer done by tomorrow, with a system-by-system breakdown (like, I've got a detailed sketch of the shield, the feet, armaments, etc., and then a concept sketch with everything together).
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5