Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: My Mecha Story Idea  (Read 10059 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Mecha Story Idea
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 03:02:38 am »

I wrote a bit more on the world, which I added to the OP.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 06:32:53 pm »

hey josh, I kinda skimmed over your description of the story's mecha, and doodled this little guy here:

Is it kinda like what you'd imagined? I dunno, its just what I got from the text.

(it has no head because the cockpits are supposed to be in the chest.)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 06:46:46 pm »

This is a pleasant surprise, since it was a map that I asked for, but... I simply can't turn it down, that's a great image for the hanzers. I officially declare this basic design to be canon.

Thank you Fault.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 07:08:10 pm »

sorry, I was going to do a map, but your description of "the world" was kind of vague... you said a lot about what was present on the world, but not much about where these features were located!

I figured I probably shouldn't turn up empty-handed, so I drew something from one of your other descriptions.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 07:19:30 pm »

Well, I did offer to go into an extremely detailed shpiel to accommodate that, but this is even better. What I like about it is that it fits the theme I'm aiming for succinctly. What I mean by that is that your picture looks crude and barbaric, which is what I'm aiming for how to portray the main characters. See, what I'm getting at is something like "desperate and terrible men driven to their breaking point revolt against the civilization that created them", and that symbolism would be portrayed by the crude, barbaric main characters' hanzers fighting the more streamlined, newer, 'more civilized' hanzers that belong to all their enemies.

I can screw around in paint for the map, but I could've never made something like this.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 07:42:54 pm »

so you're going for bulky and barbaric for the protagonist's mechs...
and streamlined and "civilized" for the mecha opposing them...

let's see what I can do with that...

EDIT: alright, I got this here:

I based the design off of a deformed human corpse, it's head severed and its limbs unnaturally twisted. the cockpit is in the lower throat area, and there are four cameras in the upper chest. Its body contains a small gravity pump (do they have those in your setting?) that allows it to kind of eerily float along instead of walking. In pushes its spindly legs along the ground to turn, or propel itself a bit faster.
The shoulder and neck area contain many ports with little lasers in them (once again, are there lasers in you setting?) and it carries, well, a big rifle.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:14:26 pm by Fault »

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 08:42:28 pm »

Very cool pictures there, Fault!

I like the way it all fits together.
Very continuous and adaptive.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 10:19:33 pm »

I like it Fault, that's the sort of stuff that would be appearing around the very end of the story, if only due to the sheer morbidity of it enhances it's intimidation factor.

Also, yeah there would be those technologies. There's a Lensmen arms race occurring between the two warring nations that ends up culminating in a rapid escalation of technology that roughly goes Heavy kinetic weapons > light and fast hanzers > laser guided projectiles > Insanely high strength and speed > Giant hanzers > mobile floating fortresses > death beams/lasers > flying hanzers > active camouflage > etcetera. So it actually fits in perfectly.

Question: Is that little symbol in the corner your signature?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 10:54:15 pm »

Question: Is that little symbol in the corner your signature?

HAHAHA XD

no, I checked, it's a smudge of red paint on my scanner!
wow, I should really clean my hardware more often...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 02:53:36 am »

I added the two pictures you drew to the OP Fault, so they can be on the first page instead of the second.

I'm currently working on the map of Daia.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2009, 07:19:27 am »

Those drawings are great I was having trouble picturing the Hanzers but now I have a good idea of how they'd work.

I like the idea in general, I hope you stick with it long enough to at least get a few short stories out  :).

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2009, 01:44:58 pm »

It's about time for Fault to treat us to some more Hanzer action. :)

If he isn't too busy of course.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2009, 03:17:41 pm »

Joshua, looks like the fans are demanding more robuts.

Can you give me some info on the artistic motifs you'd like for the other civilizations? like Tenalia or Grenardand(the protagonists are from faradaia, right?), cause I'd like to design some crazy foreigner-looking mechs.

here's what I'm thinking:

Faradaia: Sleek grey metal and light blue highlights, and some orange on armour plating. hanzers have mostly humanoid frames.
Tenalia: flatter, yellowed metal, with silver pipes and tubing. Hanzers have animalistic or savage humanoid frames.
Grenardand: Rough brown-red metal with the surface etched or engraved (think armour heraldry). Hanzers have bulky, brutish frames based on human caricatures.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 04:15:51 am »

It's amazing how similar our ideas are Fault. Also, yes, the protagonists are Faradaians.

For Granardand, what I had in mind was a Stalin era-esque communist country ruled over by a dictator, with extremely heavy emphasis on defense. Your idea is somewhat like mine, but to go along with the defensive mindset, their hanzers are large, bulky and slow, but also humanoid. They have the largest and heaviest armor of any of the other country's hanzers, and all carry a large flat shield that resemble a scutum.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These shields would have bars or hooks that would allow them to connect their shields, then move in formation as a sort of slow moving unbreakable wall. Kind of like a phalanx, with hanzers standing behind pelting enemies with heavy weapons and artillery.

In essence, the Granardandian hanzer isn't made for combat, but instead to repel it, and never give an inch. They'd have a very dark motif, with their armor thick and worn. They have dark purple and white on their armor for their country insignia, a sword and shield (with the sword placed vertically in front of the shield). The armour heraldry idea is something I haven't thought of though, but I feel I'd have to ask what you mean. Also, I'd have to ask what you mean by the part of them resembling "human caricatures".

The Tenalian hanzers are indeed animalistic, but to go along with the arms race mindset, they would have animalistic features but also appear streamlined and new, as opposed to rough or jagged. For example, a character I haven't introduced yet that belongs to the Tenalian army would pilot a hanzer that has a spiked, serrated tail, resembling Ivy's whip from Soul Calibur. Others would have claws instead of hands, or double-jointed arms/legs and symmetrical bodies that would allow the pilot to, in the case of an attack from behind, simply re-orient themselves in the cockpit instead of turning the entire hanzer around. Others have goat legs legs and a more humanoid top half for jumping and traversing mountains. Somewhat like this:

So, in other words, the Tenalian army is varied, and uses it's variety to supplement it's tactics and be able to change up it's attacking strategy at a moments notice.

I like the color scheme you've chosen though. The Tenalian symbol is a diagnolly striped red, green, and white flag with a star in each corner.

The Faradaian army is, as already implied, almost completely humanoid. However, to stress the hierarchy of power as associated with it's monarchy, those with a high standing would have gradually more regal-looking hanzers, using more colors and having distinct patterns colored onto their armor.

I like the color scheme you've thought for this one as well. The Faradaian symbol would be a red diamond with a picture of the royal crown inside of it.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2009, 05:36:40 am »

I've got some more mech sketches, Josh. (don't worry, I'll do the map... eventually)

Tenalian hanzer:

I have a few more questions about your world:

what do each of the races look like? Faradaia strikes me as a kind of britain/american styled nation, and granardand is probably swarthy russian-esque folk, but what are the people of tenalia like? (I've got a hunch that they're eastern...)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5