Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Rise of the Megabeasts  (Read 5606 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: Rise of the Megabeasts
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 08:20:48 pm »

Thor cancels Fish: Interrupted by Carp
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 08:57:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure Ziz, Behemoth and Leviathan are metaphors for the sky, land and water, respectivley.
Meh.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2009, 10:07:17 pm »

I strongly support the inclusion of Catoblepas as a monster.

Whats not to like about a miasma-breathing horrid long necked cow thing?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 10:24:45 am »

we need some type of large/Giant, dog/wolf monster

a giant megabeast one like Fenrir/Fenrisúlfr that In Norse mythology
is foretold to kill the god Odin during the events of Ragnarök

a smaller semimegabeast like black dog.
rangeing from evil to benevolent.
say to be bigger than a normal dog and large glowing eyes.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 10:45:08 am »

How about a Living Earth creature, some sort of massive pile of rocks that forms into a shape and beats the crap out of everything with, well, rocks.

Too pokemon.
Three things:  One, there are very few rock type pokemon.  I can recall none that are just a pile of rocks up until something comes by.  Two, that sort of thing is very not pokemon.  Pokemon is all big monsters that act cuddly with people.  Not big monsters that bash your brains out of your head when you try to make a cabinet out of their foot.  Three, if you are going to cut down an idea with your only argument being that it's similar to something you don't like, you should at least be more familiar with the thing you don't like.  It's like mocking a book you haven't read just for what the title is, without looking at any criticisms or knowing what it's about.  You'll look silly.
Sounds too much like an onyx...
Sounds much more like that one boss in Metroid Prime 1, Titan was it?  Big humanoid shape made of floating magnetic rocks.  You walk into the fight room, and there's just this big pile of scattered stone.  Walk across the floor in a cutscene, and then Samus turns and point gun at a floating stone.  Then other stones float up.  Then they orbit a large stone as they begin forming the body.  Then immediately it starts fighting once it has defined limbs.  The only other example of something similar I could think of off hand would be the rock monster in the obscure parody of Star Trek known as Galaxy Quest.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 03:08:14 pm »

Again, a huge stack of rocks as a monster would be a GOLEM. GOLEM. say it with me.
Quest Complete! 41/31

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 09:54:47 pm »

Wouldn't that be a solidly connected body?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 10:15:53 pm »

Not exactly. Classical golems are more or less sculpted rocks that give the appearance that the body as a whole is connected, but are still separate segments.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 12:10:31 am »

I just had an idea for a Semi-megabeast, or maybe just a regular monster depending on how effective it is.

Chupacabra- Have it start sneaking and path to any of your tamed pets and attack them, after it kills them it should go back into sneak and repeat. Should give it a ton of speed to compensate for sneaking all the time and to make it more dangerous in combat. If there are no tamed pets it should attack civilian dwarfs instead. Also, If it is cornered and can't escape it should fight as a creature normally would. Basically, I'm going for a hit and run monster. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra
My personality profile.

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 05:24:13 am »

Not exactly. Classical golems are more or less sculpted rocks that give the appearance that the body as a whole is connected, but are still separate segments.

Golems come from Jewish folklore, which describes them as made out of clay. The process is supposed to be a lesser imitation of the creation of Adam in Genesis.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 05:51:41 am »

They probably copied that off the greeks. Humans were originally made from clay in their myhtology.
Meh.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2009, 07:07:29 am »

They probably copied that off the greeks. Humans were originally made from clay in their myhtology.

Although, humans are made from earth and clay in many mythologies, for example Chinese.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2009, 03:21:15 am »

And Jormungandr, it is a giant ass snake/worm, touching it will kill you, breathing it's breath, YOU DIE, it is called the World Serpent for a reason! And can cause the apocalypse, if awoken... or found.
Thor attempted to fish it up with the head of an ox as bait. He almost got even if they hadn't interrupted him.
Jormungandr would not make a very good megabeast, simply due to the fact that it is too huge. It literally encircles the earth. A better megabeast would be Nidhogg. Basically a dragon, but much, MUCH bigger, meaner, and it has a mythological reason to be terrorizing the world(escape from beneath the world tree)

Another interesting megabeast would be Echidna, the literal Mother of All Monsters. Could be relatively weak, but surrounded by semi-megabeasts.

Of course, most of these will never make it into the unmodded game, since toady seems to want to avoid traditional myths.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2009, 03:47:12 am »

But niddhog can only escape when ragnorak starts or he'll be owned.
Meh.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2009, 05:34:59 am »

Then start Ragnarok! Open up every adamantine pit in the world without killing any HFS!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4