Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Rise of the Megabeasts  (Read 5612 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Megabeasts
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 03:11:53 pm »

On the contrary Draco

If a creature isn't intelligent then it isn't a Semimegabeast, it is simply a monster.

If a creature is huge then it is a megabeast.

Griffons are animals and so are pheonix (usually) but Pheonix at least can reasonably be upscaled to Megabeast proportions.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 03:14:18 pm »

How about a Living Earth creature, some sort of massive pile of rocks that forms into a shape and beats the crap out of everything with, well, rocks.

Too pokemon.

Kraken sounds megabeastish.
We have a "Spirit of Fire", so why not a Spirit of Earth. It would make for a fun surprise while digging anywhere.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 06:51:51 pm »

Phoenix must set anything that can be set alight alight when it passes it.

Sounds too much like an onyx...

And theres gonna be undergound diversity in the next release.

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 07:54:36 pm »

Monsters:
Catoblepas:
Giant bull. Breath poison of oozing wounds and blood vomiting.

Cockitrice - Giant flightness bird that looks like an ostrich. Touch poison with necrosis and paralysis.

Basilisk - Giant lizard with a crest and huge teeth. Breath poison with necrosis and paralysis.

Biscione - Human with a snake-tail instead of legs. Sort of like an upside-down snakeman. Counts as a sort of animal-man for tribes.

Salamander - High homeoterm. Fire immune, but not dragon-fire immune or lava immune. Skin is coated in fever-poison.

Pegasus - Winged horse. You know the drill on it.

Amphisbaena - A scaly chicken with a snake head comming out of the neck and another at the tip of it's long tail. Eats vermin.

Orochi - Snake with eight heads and eight tails. Optional: give each head a different venom. Optionalx2: Make it giant and turn it into a megabeast.

Abatwa - Tiny people that ride ants around. Possibly a sort of vermin.

Semi-Megabeasts:
Sphinx - Lion shaped body. Has two heads, one shaped like a person and one shaped like a snake, located on the tail. Can talk. Has wings and can fly. Spheres of [trICKERY], [SPEECH] and [trUTH]

Megabeast:
Gorgon - Always female, just like harpies. Humanoid. Three kinds of poison: Injected of impaired vision, dizziness and fever. Breathe poison of paralysis and numbness. Touch poison of bleeding, pain and blisters. Can talk and use weapons. Shperes are [DEFORMITY] and [JEALOUSY].

Manticore - Scorpion's tail that has injected paralysis venom. Flies. Covered in poisonous spines which are covered in paralysis causing secretions. Shperes are [DISEASE] and [trECHERY].

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 08:26:47 pm »

Yeh, what I meant when I said "all of them" is mostly the greek ones. I don't know a lot of mythology, but all the ones in the vein of "kraken" and "basilisk. Ya know?

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 08:30:06 pm »

You forgot Chimeras and Satyrs and probably a few more.
Meh.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 09:13:01 pm »

We already have Satyrs, I believe.

Orochi, though? I didn't want to get all Asian on the beasties. And we already have Hydra for the form of the multi-headed dragon. We could also have Tiamat (the D&D version) if you're that anal about having another multi-headed beastie.

As for the Sphinx, maybe it is like a monster that forces a fey mood on your entire fortress in a way, demanding you to bring them stuff (in cryptic sentences). If you succeed, the Sphinx will either 'die' and reveal some special item, and if you fail, it will unleash a curse on your entire fortress, causing your dwarves to go nuts and start killing each other and/or causing wanton destruction, or maybe certain dwarves will turn to ashes. Alternatively, you could attempt to fight the Sphinx, and it will smack your dwarves around with its huge paws. This won't allow you to obtain the item.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 08:40:43 am »

You forgot Chimeras and Satyrs and probably a few more.

Like the roc.  Eats elephants.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 11:12:18 am »

Giant sand worms as well, they will probably be added in with the underground thing as well.
They should be easy to avoid: walk without rhythm, and you won't attract the worm.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Zinc

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything looks better with a tophat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 12:55:13 pm »

arent pheonix relatively small? I usually see them depicted as being the same size as a regular eagle. Not much of a megabeast.

Also, Giant Sand Worms

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 12:58:54 pm »

arent pheonix relatively small? I usually see them depicted as being the same size as a regular eagle. Not much of a megabeast.

Also, Giant Sand Worms

the Pheonix has often been depicted as small, though I've seen several giant ones in fiction. Though rarely Megabeast size (twice ever)

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 02:44:25 pm »

I would like to see these as megabeasts

Ziz- A giant bird like monster, I would have it spawn with a bunch of hostile giant eagles when it appears on the map and have them follow Ziz(like a squad and a squad leader). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziz

Behemoth- A giant cow like monster. Should be the Bigger than Ziz or Leviathan, very resistant to damage and slow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behemoth

Leviathan- Eh, not so big on the idea of aquatic megabeasts, but you can't have the first two without this one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan

Jormungandr- Also known as the Midgard Serpent, this one should take advantage of the upcoming breath attack feature to spray large clouds of poison. Should also be extremely massive and amphibious. If I had to chose one megabeast to add it would be this one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midgardsormr
My personality profile.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 03:34:04 pm »

Monsters:
Catoblepas:
Giant bull. Breath poison of oozing wounds and blood vomiting.

Cockitrice - Giant flightness bird that looks like an ostrich. Touch poison with necrosis and paralysis.

Basilisk - Giant lizard with a crest and huge teeth. Breath poison with necrosis and paralysis.

Biscione - Human with a snake-tail instead of legs. Sort of like an upside-down snakeman. Counts as a sort of animal-man for tribes.

Salamander - High homeoterm. Fire immune, but not dragon-fire immune or lava immune. Skin is coated in fever-poison.

Pegasus - Winged horse. You know the drill on it.

Amphisbaena - A scaly chicken with a snake head comming out of the neck and another at the tip of it's long tail. Eats vermin.

Orochi - Snake with eight heads and eight tails. Optional: give each head a different venom. Optionalx2: Make it giant and turn it into a megabeast.

Abatwa - Tiny people that ride ants around. Possibly a sort of vermin.

Semi-Megabeasts:
Sphinx - Lion shaped body. Has two heads, one shaped like a person and one shaped like a snake, located on the tail. Can talk. Has wings and can fly. Spheres of [trICKERY], [SPEECH] and [trUTH]

Megabeast:
Gorgon - Always female, just like harpies. Humanoid. Three kinds of poison: Injected of impaired vision, dizziness and fever. Breathe poison of paralysis and numbness. Touch poison of bleeding, pain and blisters. Can talk and use weapons. Shperes are [DEFORMITY] and [JEALOUSY].

Manticore - Scorpion's tail that has injected paralysis venom. Flies. Covered in poisonous spines which are covered in paralysis causing secretions. Shperes are [DISEASE] and [trECHERY].
GREK, FUCKING DESCRIBE THEM PHYSICALLY, AND CORRECTLY.
Anyways these are add-ons to his things.

Cockatrice, larger than a chicken, created when a chicken egg is incubated by a toad, it is a demonic chicken with piercing yellow eyes, when touched ( by skin, or flesh ) petrification occurs, on the new moon, looking into it's eyes, or hearing it's hiss may petrify, the only cure is eating a lizard before full petrification.

Basilisk, a six legged alligator, really fast, can cause petrification, but forgot how.

Salamander, an ever burning slamander, spirit of fire.

Dude, that is not a sphinx, they don't have snake tails, you are talking about a gorgon.

The leviathan is a humongous serpent ( via description ) , can boil the sea with it's flaming breath, it's body spews miasma.

You got Behemoth right.

And Jormungandr, it is a giant ass snake/worm, touching it will kill you, breathing it's breath, YOU DIE, it is called the World Serpent for a reason! And can cause the apocalypse, if awoken... or found.

Ziz, a giant griffin, that can cover the sun with it's mighty wings, protector of all birds, and is immortal.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 03:42:38 pm by Foa »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 04:12:43 pm »

Cockatrice, larger than a chicken, created when a chicken egg is incubated by a toad, it is a demonic chicken with piercing yellow eyes, when touched ( by skin, or flesh ) petrification occurs, on the new moon, looking into it's eyes, or hearing it's hiss may petrify, the only cure is eating a lizard before full petrification.

The new moon and lizard things are purely nethack-isms. It's cool if that's the direction Toady goes on it, but I personally wouldn't.

Dude, that is not a sphinx, they don't have snake tails, you are talking about a gorgon.

The Thebian sphinx had the head of a woman, a lion's body, wings  and a snake head on it's tail. The Eygyptian sphinx doesn't have the snake tail, but the Thebian sphinx is the one that I was going for here.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 05:15:45 pm »

The version I know of had as origin: the egg of a seven-year -old rooster (don't ask), bred by a toad. The creature was snake-like, with the head of a rooster; it spouted poison from its eyes. Looking at it through crystal protected against the stoning effects.

Basilisk, a six legged alligator, really fast, can cause petrification, but forgot how.
The basilisk is merely an early form of the cockatrice. It started out as a kind of reptile, but acquired more chicken and rooster-like attributes along the way. It's gaze was deadly, and only the weasel, the rooster and common rue could resist it.

That's a sphinx. A gorgon is more humanoid in shape, with snake-related deformations. Medusa and her two sisters were the only ones, so they were not supposed to be very common. There are plenty of tales about what her blood and head were used for though :)

And Jormungandr, it is a giant ass snake/worm, touching it will kill you, breathing it's breath, YOU DIE, it is called the World Serpent for a reason! And can cause the apocalypse, if awoken... or found.
Thor attempted to fish it up with the head of an ox as bait. He almost got even if they hadn't interrupted him.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4