Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rise of the Megabeasts  (Read 5607 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Rise of the Megabeasts
« on: December 19, 2009, 01:01:50 am »

I was contemplating this for a while now, what the new flood of megabeasts could be.

Kraken: The sea-equivalent of the tentacle demon that can traverse land and sea. Uses 10 tentacles to throw everything that isn't nailed down everywhere, including dorfs. Contains lots of fat and meat, it being a squid and everything.

Phoenix: Fire bird of Immortality and Resurrection. Flies and coats the land in flames. The Skin, Fat, Meat, and Bones are very high quality like the Hydra or Dragon (In certain tales, the meat of the Phoenix was said to be the finest of delicacies). Maybe the feathers could be worth something, too.

Griffin: Half lion, half eagle. The Griffin can also fly like the phoenix, but instead of shooting flames, it uses its claws to shred through armor like tin foil.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Megabeasts
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 01:45:11 am »

If we have griffen i want all the other half-beasts...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 01:56:48 am »

Every classic mythological beast, ever, and probably a whole bunch of original ones by Toady. Or maybe not. But I could see it happening.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 02:18:00 am »

I was going to add them to the list *Chimera, Manticore, Sphinx*, but I couldn't think of anything that would make them evil to face, and apart from that, I feel like they would be in the semi-Megabeasts category. The ones that first came to mind were the Kraken (Thank Dead Man's Chest), the Phoenix (My favorite mythological creature) and the Griffin (Square-Enix games, particularly Saga Frontier 1 and 2).

Every classic mythological beast, ever, and probably a whole bunch of original ones by Toady. Or maybe not. But I could see it happening.

Please elaborate on which ones you're referring to. There are a ton of mythological beasties (Sleipnir, Basilisk, Mandrake, Cockatrice), and please give some kind of description for what they would be like.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 02:20:52 am by Lost Requiem »
Quest Complete! 41/31

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 02:48:01 am »

Well every half-beasts (flying and otherwise) would be semi-mega.
Gryphon maybe mega.

Deffenitly phoenix and kraken(more sea megas!).

Sphynx would be in desserts.
Giant sand worms aswell, they will probably be added in with the underground thing aswell.

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 03:00:02 am »

May I ask what is this obsession with giant sandworms? This is the nteenth time I've seen someone talk about wanting to see a giant sandworm.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 03:01:55 am »

Please elaborate on which ones you're referring to. There are a ton of mythological beasties (Sleipnir, Basilisk, Mandrake, Cockatrice), and please give some kind of description for what they would be like.

No kidding.  I made a list of legendary/mythical birds once and got over 30.

Halcyon is a legendary bird, did you know?  It's responsible for calm weather at sea.
The More You Know

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 03:40:46 am »

May I ask what is this obsession with giant sandworms? This is the nteenth time I've seen someone talk about wanting to see a giant sandworm.
GIANT FREAKING SANDWORMS
HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THEM?
---

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 05:10:09 am »

How about a Living Earth creature, some sort of massive pile of rocks that forms into a shape and beats the crap out of everything with, well, rocks.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 09:34:46 am »

Sphynx would be in desserts.

Mmmmm... Sphinx cake.

How about a Living Earth creature, some sort of massive pile of rocks that forms into a shape and beats the crap out of everything with, well, rocks.

Too pokemon.

Kraken sounds megabeastish.

In an interveiw I read toady said it wouldn't be so hard for a whole civ to be genned with the world  and you play with it. This sort of thing with megabeasts would be awesome. Maybe one mega each gen could be made.
Meh.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 10:43:34 am »

Sorry if this is a stupid idea, but couldn't this go in the modding forum?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 11:27:29 am »

No, because we're making suggestions about what new creatures (More specifically, Megabeasts) could be.

That's called a Golem, and we kinda already have the Bronze Colossus filling that department.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 01:20:24 pm »

While I have no objection to more Megabeasts (In fact I fully suspect when the game is closer to done we will have quite a bit more creatures to deal with)

But if we do get new ones they should be there to demonstrate new mechanics and megabeast interactions.

-Pheonix: Well you certainly are increasing their size. No problem and it could be added when flying mechanics are fixed up.
-Kraken: No problem here EXCEPT that the Kraken is basically useless being confined to the sea, so I don't suspect to see it in a long time. But it is DEFINATELY something I want to see when/if we get boats
-Griffon: NO! They arn't huge or intelligent. So they cannot be a megabeast or semi-megabeast.
-Elementals: Giant creatures made of the elements such as rock, fire, wind, and water? Sure!
-Sphinx: Even if it isn't a megabeast I would LOVE to see creatures who have motives and mechanics that set them appart. Though how do you even attempt riddles? Though I guess it could give you quests.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 02:46:45 pm »

-Griffon: NO! They arn't huge or intelligent. So they cannot be a megabeast or semi-megabeast.

Seriously?  You think phoenixes are intelligent, thinking beings, (and the kraken!?) and don't think griffons are?

Also
Quote from: wikipedia
In heraldry, the griffin's amalgamation of lion and eagle gains in courage and boldness, and it is always drawn as a powerful fierce monster. It is used to denote strength and military courage and leadership. Griffins are portrayed with a lion's body, an eagle's head, long ears, and an eagle's claws, to indicate that one must combine intelligence and strength.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 03:09:43 pm »

Read Dune.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: [1] 2 3 4