Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Nelasilral, "Flickertreaty" - UPDATE: badass clerk has 1 kill and counting  (Read 11995 times)

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello! This is a newbie-friendly succession fortress that started in this thread. If you'd like to take a turn, please add a reply and I'll queue you up. For gameplay questions and tips, you can check out the DF wiki here and the thread for quick questions/answers here. Given the kind of players we're hunting for, we'll probably all die quick and horrible deaths inside five years - I know I'm excited!

- - - - -

Player list:

Year 1: Kethas: DONE! (Posts start here, save is here.) When Kethas irrigates, he irrigates for keeps. Also: I am a coward and wall us in completely.
Year 2: mal7690: DONE! (Post here, save is here.) Three moods in one year is now par for the course for future leaders.
Year 3: tehstefan: DONE! (Posts start here, save is here.) A champion gets a mangled lung, a clerk gets a flawless kill, and lots of stairways to nowhere are carved.
Year 4: silhouette: DONE! (Posts start here, save is here.) silhouette indulges in pointless distractions, like digging "stockpiles" and smoothing "production." Also, he has a fetish for meat. What would Freud say?
Year 5: Starshell
Year 6: Fastler
Year 7: Zeffrin
Year 8: Zades
Year 9: Mono124
Year 10: Defiance

- - - - -

I'd just make one request - please don't savescum. If something goes horribly, horribly wrong, no worries, the next player can revert to the previous player's save if it comes to that. If the fortress is reasonably recoverable, though, it's a lot more fun to play along.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:39:54 pm by Kethas »

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nelasilral, "Flickertreaty" - our slacker clerk still has zero kills
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 09:40:55 pm »

Reserved.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 09:41:38 pm »

Reserved.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 09:42:01 pm »

Reserved.

Zades

• Bay Watcher
  • Do flying babies do blunt or gore damage?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 09:55:09 pm »

HI IM ZADES AND I WANT TO DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH BY THE HANDS OF SOME TANTRUMING DWARF.

Sign me up please. :D

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:04:28 pm »

HI IM ZADES AND I WANT TO DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH BY THE HANDS OF SOME TANTRUMING DWARF.

It is done. Is is the Will of Kethas.

Zades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 10:08:52 pm »

It is done. Is is the Will of Kethas.

All praise be to Kethas.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:09:51 pm »

we'll probably all die quick and horrible deaths inside five years - I know I'm excited!
:-\
Lol, my year is the supposid last year...
Are you hinting at something ? ;D
Gives me someting to try to do :D.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:21:31 pm »

we'll probably all die quick and horrible deaths inside five years - I know I'm excited!

If the fortress is still standing at the end of year five, you're to fill it with magma.

Don't tell anyone, though - it'll be our little secret.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 10:34:52 pm »

If the fortress is still standing at the end of year five, you're to fill it with magma.

Don't tell anyone, though - it'll be our little secret.

...  :-\

Anyway if you make a lever that does something, make a note (N) saying what it does please.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 10:56:01 pm »

"Does not flood entire fortress with magma."

Zades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 11:14:01 pm »

But.. That ruins the suprise!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 11:15:50 pm »

"Does not release thousands of goblins rampaging into the fortress.... oh and heaps of cave-ins..."
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 04:33:09 am »

I am not a born leader. I'm not a decorated war veteran, commanding the unswerving loyalty of dwarves serving me. I'm not a glib and witty politician. I'm certainly not a trained expert in expedition management. I'm a librarian. Specializing in the classics, if you're curious. (When possible, I prefer to read Pliny the Dwarfer.) This is an admittedly niche pursuit. Hopefully you can understand my surprise when asked by none other than the Minister of Dwarven Diaspora to lead my very own settlement.

"But sir," I objected, flattered but incredulous, "surely you can find a more appropriate expedition manager - I haven't even been aboveground in twenty years. And your settlement site selection is, ah, nonstandard:"

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9003/embarkscreen.jpg

"Nonsense!" came the reply. "Our finest dowsers insist there's an underground river in the area for your engineering and sustenance needs. A magma pipe's available to assist in setting up the best set of forges in the region, and it's a prime fortress location to extend our military presence in the region."

"Sir - I have the spec sheet for the settlement request right here - 'Let's park the chumps on a GLACIER! Ah hah hah!' "

The Minister of Dwarven Diaspora is evidently not accustomed to such a lack of decorum in his office. "Now see here, Kethas, this is no laughing matter - we take our settlement placement very seriously."

"I'm not laughing, sir. That's what it says on the sheet. 'Ah hah hah.' ...followed by a smiley face. And about the roster suggestions... Sir, most of them could learn a lot more here in the Mountainhome before being sent off to their own settlement effort... are you sure, quote, 'owed a substantial gambling debt by the Minister of Financial Responsibility,' unquote, is a sound reason to pick the dwarfs for the job?"

The Minister starts, flabbergasted. "It is the consistent position of the Department of Financial Responsibility that silhouette is, um, no fun at all at parties. Now please go take up your business with quartermaster - I have an important meeting with the Minister of Financial Responsibility regarding favors he now owes me." I'm shooed out the door. Great. So now I'm in charge of six greenhorn settlers, headed to a Godforsaken haunted glacier in the middle of nowhere, just so a politico can have a gambling debt disappear.

Suddenly, a clear sense of purpose wins out over the frustration and resentment that had muddled my thoughts since I received the settlement notice. My fists clench firmly, and I grit my teeth in determination. I make a single, solemn promise -

"I am going to update the shit out of our records."
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:11:28 am by Kethas »

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 05:04:07 am »

The first thing to do when starting an expedition - as I learned in the Mountainhome Library's "self-help" section - is to find as many dwarfs as possible that are addled enough to volunteer to come along. Fortunately, I was owed a few gambling debts myself.

First up was Andrew Riley, the miner. "You know we're headed to a glacier, right?" I asked. "It's likely to be pretty chilly."

"Not a problem, the accommodating Andrew Riley replied. "I like working outdoors and grumble only mildly at inclement weather."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second was silhouette, another miner and associate of Andrew Riley. When asked about the glacier we were heading to, she was similarly understanding. Almost too similar. "Don't worry about it," she said, a slightly robotic tone in her voice. "I like working outdoors and grumble only mildly at inclement weather."

Hrm. Strange. Maybe it's a Miner's Guild thing.

Third was Mal, a mechanic and similar academic at heart. Usually engineers are loathe to leave the Mountainhome for an unproven outlying settlement, but when I promised that all debts would be forgiven she was more than forthcoming.

Even more so when I mentioned the glacier. "That's fantastic! I like working outdoors and grumble only mildly at inclement weather."

Oookay. So. Not a Miner's Guild thing.

Fourth would be Xanthius the planter, an old acquaintance. He's actually the only dwarf to seek me out instead of vice versa. I argued that a farmer might be of little use on a glacier, but he insisted he'd work deep underground and that our engineers would sort everything out. "Besides," he started, "I like working outdoors and..."

"... grumble only mildly at inclement weather?" I finished.

"Why yes - how did you know?"

My supply of ready volunteers exhausted, the remainder of the expedition, a mason and a carpenter, came from the Mountainhome Department of Dwarven Redshirts:

... leaving, of course, yours truly. Come to think of it, all this enthusiasm for the outdoors has proven infectuous:

Perhaps it's some Elven disease. I'll have to perform additional research when I can spare the time.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:08:56 am by Kethas »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10