Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: turning civs hostile  (Read 747 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
turning civs hostile
« on: December 18, 2009, 08:33:31 pm »

Seeing how trading with humans and hippies is more often a pain in the ass than it is useful, I decided to I'd rather fight them.

I did what seemed to be the obvious way of turning them hostile: I gave them [BABYSNATCHER]. That gave them the ------------- status, i.e. the default one goblins come with, but unlike said goblins, they have yet to send an ambush or even a kidnapper. Oh, and I did generate a new world, so that shouldn't be it.

What did I do wrong?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: turning civs hostile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 08:43:55 pm »

You could have just killed a few caravans/the liaison to get them to attack you.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 08:49:46 pm »

Check PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE etc. levels.

Also add [AMBUSHER] if you want them to send ambushes before they siege.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:57:24 pm »

You could have just killed a few caravans/the liaison to get them to attack you.

That's not applicable in my case, at least not for the elves, since I'm trying to keep my pop below barony levels, which seems to be the requirement for ever seeing an elf liaison in the first place.

Check PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE etc. levels.

Also add [AMBUSHER] if you want them to send ambushes before they siege.

My hippies have progress triggers of 1 all around, which is, as far as I recall, lower than the defaults for goblins (but I've given those values of 1 as well), and I had an ambush of 2 goblin squads (might be because I made 2 goblin entities) in my first winter I think. I'm in late summer of my second year and have not seen any action from neither elves nor humans.

Elves are also ambushers by default, making them now equivalent to my goblin entities in all relevant respects I can currently think of. I've left humans as siegers because I have yet to see a siege, so I didn't want to make them too goblin-like.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 09:10:05 pm »

[SIEGER] means that they siege if you piss them off (i.e. kill a liaison). I am not sure if it conflicts with hostility, however I've never used it on hostile entities.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 09:17:53 pm »

I thought [SIEGER] was more directly related to how they attacked you (i.e. camping for a couple of weeks before attacking) and not to what aggravated them. Well then, I'm gonna replace their [SIEGER] tag with [AMBUSHER]. Will I need to regen my world?

Also, I don't really see how that explains my lack of elven ambushes, seeing how they're ambushers and babysnatchers all right.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 09:20:46 pm »

Did you make them active in all seasons, to make the attacks more likely to happen? Also, how many years did you wait? One, two, three? They should come to 4-5 year.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 09:50:01 pm »

Replace [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN].
They'll go bonkers immediately.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:01:51 pm »

Did you make them active in all seasons, to make the attacks more likely to happen? Also, how many years did you wait? One, two, three? They should come to 4-5 year.

I'm in my second autumn so that's 1 3/4 years. You see, I kinda expected them by now seeing how goblins showed up in my first year, and I don't see what could cause the different times of arrival.

Also, you didn't answer my question about whether I need to regen.

Regarding seasons, I'm gonna make them active all year all right, next thing when I'm about to restart the game.

Replace [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN].
They'll go bonkers immediately.

I had modded my goblins that way once, but I tried to avoid that measure. For one, they don't get names that way (only ringleaders are named if you strip them of the [INTELLIGENT] tag), and two, I kinda wanted a gradual onset this time, as opposed to the multisquad sieges that mod seemed to produce from the start (I'm saying "seemed", because I hadn't tested that properly; I had invaders disabled in the init, but when I enabled it after a couple of years, I got hit with fullscale sieges right away).

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 03:03:26 am »

With invaders on, orcs (being my example of a mute civ) will come one squad in the first winter. This hasn't changed for me, but others say it's variable. So yeah, it does scale up; I think it's related to fortress value and/or population.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 07:40:39 am »

So yeah, it does scale up; I think it's related to fortress value and/or population.

I'm not disputing that. I know there's progression-related tags in the entity files that sound like they'd determine something like that. Maybe I wasn't clear, so I'll say it again, in plain English: I've set the [PROGRESSION_(...)] tags of all my entities to 1 (which was probably the default for most of them, I can't remember); now the goblins did attack me the first year, but elves and humans didn't. What follows is that there either must be some other factor determining when a civ starts attacking, or that there is another tag that prevents my elves and humans from attacking altogether.

Now, I need yor help to determine what the problem is, but we seem to be moving in circles.