Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Want: 2x2 embark w/magma, hfs, bottomless pit, underground river + more.  (Read 2368 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More being flux, bauxite and sand.  Access to every civilization, trees and ponds.   Making for the perfect compact and packed full embark location.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 05:21:54 pm by Qloos »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Want: 2x2 embark w/magma, hfs, bottomless pit, underground river + more.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 05:25:02 pm »

Would you also like a pony?

The probability of actually generating a site like that is probably a billion to one. Remember that magma, HFS, a bottomless pit, and an underground river will all require their own region tile, so you're probably never going to see all 4 of those adjacent to one another (and in a 2x2 square, for that matter). Even if you did, it would force your fortress to take on a somewhat chaotic shape, having to fit between all of the features.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 05:29:30 pm »

Would you also like a pony?
I'm dwarven, naturally I want it all.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 06:07:30 pm »

The odds of you finding even a 6x6 site like that are already astronomical (especially considering embark-ability, Embark Anywhere notwithstanding). Sorry; give up hope now. If you want, try searching 'Leaderboard' - you should get a thread that's got the most packed 3x3 sites in it, but you're going to have to settle for those.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 06:14:09 pm »

More being flux, bauxite and sand.  Access to every civilization, trees and ponds.   Making for the perfect compact and packed full embark location.

You're asking for a rainbow unicorn with pink hearts on it, that looks masculine.  No such creature exists, nor can it be created.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Zinc

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything looks better with a tophat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 06:39:21 pm »

I used to remember when I used to crave a site like this...

It will never happen.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 06:48:23 pm »

I'm working on a fort right now using the "Dwarven Dream" map someone genned up over on the world-gen leaderboard.  I think you can get everything you're looking for within a 5x5.  There's also tons of iron.  Plus, it's got the orc mod!
At last, she is done.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 06:53:12 pm »

HFS, Chasm and underground river are all limited to Mountain biomes, and Magma is limited to extrusive volcanic facies... so the chance of finding those four features PLUS Sand, flux and Bauxite (all three limited to sedimentary facies) in the same 2x2 embark are pretty close to zero.

Not impossible, though.
Never pet a burning dog.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 07:22:50 pm »

magma, hfs, pit, river are all features that require one embark tile each.  all but magma require a mountain biome, and to get some of those different +more features you'll need multiple biomes.  so youre looking for a 2x2 where one tile is volcanic and also non-mountain.

very very specific.  but it can probably be done if you crank up the vulcanism on one of those max-variance chaos worldgen paramater sets.  one of the guys in the leaderboard thread was scripting his sight finding, so you might be able to use his utility to get what you want.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 10:44:59 pm »

I suppose there's no way to somehow force generate an embark spot like this?  Yes, force generate like zapping your computer with force lightning  :)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 11:04:14 pm »

I suppose there's no way to somehow force generate an embark spot like this?

I believe the OP is asking for what is theoretical the absolute best possible embark ever (though disregarding number of z-levels, biome types, those who like larger embarks, etc). Really, I think the only way you could be pickier is if you wanted it to be a half Joyous Wilds mountain and half Terrifying glacier with Elves and Humans at war but winter Goblin traders, all with over 100 z-levels to work with. And multiple GCSs in the pit.

ed- Forgot why I replied in the first place. The point is - if you could magically gen whatever embark you wanted, it would've been done a looong time ago, believe me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:33:42 pm by Retro »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 11:53:14 pm »

You could use the Ultrafinder utility. That might help.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 12:30:28 pm »

Do you mean strictly in vanilla DF?
Finis sanctificat media.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 12:40:50 pm »

Okay, so you need at least two biomes: one mountainous, for the mountain features, and one non-mountainous, for the sand (unless you want to take your chances with the various glitches that can sometimes turn ground layers into sand, among other soil types). The non-mountainous region needs to have a magma pipe, too. Fortunately the OP didn't specify ttrees, so we can ignore that. The mountainous region needs to have a pit, HFS, and a river in each of the three tiles...

I've made maps with tiny tiny mountains. Mountain features get packed together in those situations, oftentimes to the point that not all of them can be placed. A site like this one is similar to what you're demanding, for example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's just 3x5 instead of 2x2, modded, and, IIRC, doesn't have sedementary rock. The big trick to these kinds of sites is to strongly limit your elevation ranges; maximum elevation should be 301 and minimum should be in the 285-295 range. Too low a minimum and "mountains" prevent civs from being able to access each other; too high and you don't get enough "mountains". "Mountains" is in quotation marks because they're barely higher than the local terrain and are themselves never tall at all.

You'll have a much easier time of it if you can accept a chasm instead of a bottomless pit. Pits take up only one mountain tile, while chasms are much bigger; thus, you have better odds of any given mountain tile having a chasm instead of a pit. Likewise, if you can accept not having access to sedementary rock (which, really, is not that big a deal, guys. Just use deathtraps to kill your first waves of invaders, and then melt their stuff down to equip your dwarves), then you won't have to bother with trying to get a volcano right next to a sedementary mountain.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 01:38:51 pm »

I'm currently playing a 3x3 embark with magma, an underground river, HFS, and a chasm.

Also, endless hordes of zombie gazelles. Seriously, my 20 soldiers each have 200+ kills to their name. Thats 200 each! Thats like 4,000 slain zombie gazelles so far.  D:

They keep coming. I finally managed to finish walling off the western side of the map and flooded it with magma, ala Snaketributes.

Only now that I've flooded the unholy western plains have the zombie invasions stopped.
Pages: [1] 2