Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Death camps <architechs needed>  (Read 4498 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Death camps <architechs needed>
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 10:39:47 pm »

Boiling zinc gives a nice poison gas effect. Too bad you don't have magma.
Have them build towers, which they inevitably will wall themselves into and starve. You even get free towers!
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 11:15:06 pm »

Lock them in a room with a 1x1 meeting area. The smaller the room, the better (1x1 is best, just recruit them and station them in single-dwarf squads). Make a pit above them with a lockable door beside it, then drop in a carcass and seal the pit door behind to stop miasma leakage. The miasma plus lack of booze, food, and beds will slowly drive them insane, while the 1x1 meeting area will make them all friends with at the least decent social skills. Watch as the first dwarf tantrums, starting a contained tantrum spiral which may turn into a contained berserk dwarf rampage. Laugh an evil laugh.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 09:22:35 am »

dart tower using a bridge? (it has been done but I can't remember where)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 01:22:45 pm »

While you can't gas people dead, there is another option.

What you need is a room, with lockable doors/bridges/walls-to-be-built. In one spot, perhaps the middle of the room, a channel.

Below is magma. Two levels above is a dump, herd migrants in the room, lock them in, tell a dwarf to dump a piece of bituminous coal or lignite into magma.

Observe how long dwarves can stand against choking in smoke underground before they lose their cool.

In freezing biomes, make an above-ground barracks area only meant for migrants. Migrants go in, start wrestling and tearing off clothes from each other. Observe which offs them first, dehydration or frostbites.

Barracks over a narrow bridge, below is a pool of your own choice in size. Ramps at the sides. Migrants go to the barracks, fight, occasionally sidestep and fall in the water. Observe how long it takes for a dwarf to learn the art of swimming. You can make this more fun with giving them hammers or maces.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:32:51 pm by Ieb »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 01:41:47 pm »

Well, what I do with surplus migrants is draft them. They turn into an effective defense force after a few years.
The men get armour and weapons, and go into the military to do the fighting, and the women get leather armour and go into the royal and fort guard to train the men in wrestling.
Feeding, clothing, and housing them isn't a worry. If wood's available, beds are no problem, and I always overproduce food.
And, frankly, I like importing shittons of exotic meats and booze from the humans anyway.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 07:17:16 pm »

Just a room with a bunch of levers.  Assign the lever to be pulled, put that order on repeat and assign a name.  Nobles and new unwanted migrants get their own lever.  Once every one is inside wall them off and get rid of the pull lever orders.

Make sure you don't have someone with friends in the death camp living on the outside, that should contain the tantrums.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 08:24:07 pm »

I'm a personal fan of the Work Camp method. Wall'm up underground with a mess o' picks, and have them attempt to  Hollow the Earth. Better yet, instead of a wall just have a floodgate attatched to a lever, so every time new migrants enter the map you can set them to digging. When each wave dies, collect whatever useful gems, ores, and materials they uncovered, and once your idler count climbs again, Repeat.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 08:31:53 pm »

I'm a personal fan of the Work Camp method. Wall'm up underground with a mess o' picks, and have them attempt to  Hollow the Earth. Better yet, instead of a wall just have a floodgate attatched to a lever, so every time new migrants enter the map you can set them to digging. When each wave dies, collect whatever useful gems, ores, and materials they uncovered, and once your idler count climbs again, Repeat.

Why bother going collecting it? Have dump it right into the fort!
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 10:21:07 pm »

Im right now just laboring all of them to death, mostly mining but some masonry work.....but mostly mining, cudos to Monk 12 for the "hollow the earth" mining job. I threw in a little creativity tho. At the bottom of all my z levles theres a stock pile of food and booze that i placed early on for this moment, whom ever survives and makes it to the food and booze pile gets rewarded with a legendary engraved room, office and dining room.
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 11:58:22 pm »

We can gas things.

Using booze or zinc, boiling vapour can murder things for us. Zinc is included because it will apparently boil in magma. As such, 3X3 room with open space over magma in the middle and a dumping zone on the level above. Toss a zinc mug into the magma, watch the boiling metal galvanise migrants.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Death camps <architects needed>
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 12:24:28 am »

I'm fairly partial to stationing them in the Atom Smasher. Efficient, and there's no mess!
Yeah, I second this. It's one of the easiest ways to get rid of immigrants quickly and cheaply. What you do is you build a drawbridge that raises, connect it to a lever, have everyone you don't like stationed at the drawbridge, and set the lever to pull on repeat.

On another, more salacious note, I was skimming the thread and I read Assimilateur's post. This is the first thing I saw:
cum shower

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 01:32:04 am »

We can gas things.

Using booze or zinc, boiling vapour can murder things for us. Zinc is included because it will apparently boil in magma. As such, 3X3 room with open space over magma in the middle and a dumping zone on the level above. Toss a zinc mug into the magma, watch the boiling metal galvanise migrants.
This sounds pretty fun. I'm going to have to try it. :D

Magma mist is another incredibly lethal vapor, but it occurs only if the flood above caves into a magma pool. It would be an annoying set up, but worth it if you think of the dwarves boiling in a cloud of super-heated gas.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Death camps <architects needed>
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 06:06:16 am »

I fucking love this game. Someone asks for help with designing a Nazi-inspired death camp, and nobody bats an eye, instead offering somewhat helpful advice.

On topic: if you want to do something more Holocaust-themed, instead of the usual simplistic measures like an atom-smasher or spike traps, you should consider building them a shower like they had in Auschwitz:

1. Make a reservoir of water with a couple of hatches in the bottom, and link those with a lever that's inside your fortress.

2. Make an underground meeting area directly under that reservoir that's only reachable from the outside. You're gonna have to keep it locked so your citizens don't go there, and only unlock it (while keeping all other entrances to your fort proper locked) when those to be *evacuated* arrive.

3. Now, lock the meeting area cum shower and drown them.

In real-life death camps they didn't drown people, obviously, they gassed them, but since poison gasses or even the possibility of suffocating from smoke are yet to be implemented, drowning is the next best thing.
Look at it this way, the Dwarves who lock them in don't have to lie to those who are about to die. They actually get a shower...

Oh God, I'm going to hell, aren't I?

EDIT: Shouldn't the title be Death camps <Eichmann needed>?
I guess I'd better lube up my ass for the Devil's pitchfork...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:59:23 am by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 07:25:15 am »

Design a mega project drilling machine that is used to "penetrate" into the earths crust without the use of a magma vent or bottomless pit. Best of wishes dwarfs! Hope you can restart the earth.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 07:37:16 am »

I'd personally just draft every last one into the army then let them train until they're champions so that you have a rather strong defence force. Peasants are just recruits out of uniform.

However, if you really do want to waste all of these ripe little peasants, why not simply build a "work camp" or gulag, lock them away from any food source or water source and have them work themselves to death either mining or making blocks? Perhaps have them build some sort of megaconstruction and see how far they can get. There's absolutely no reason at all to have all of these people die without doing at least something useful with their lives, FPS or not. They'll die in any case if you cut them off from any sustenance.
Pages: 1 [2] 3