Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stockpile Clean Out! :D  (Read 2298 times)

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpile Clean Out! :D
« on: December 18, 2009, 05:07:15 pm »

Not sure if this has been suggested, but it would make shit a whole lot easier if, when you place a stockpile, anything that doesn't belong in that stockpile (most likely stone) would be moved off of it.

Just a thought. So like if you have a wood stockpile, and half of it, or all of it, is covered in stone, the dwarfs move the stone off the stockpile.

Edit: Maybe make it toggleable when you select the stockpile? Default... on, maybe?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 05:45:52 pm by DoctorZ »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Stockpile Clean Out! :D
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 05:09:53 pm »

You can almost do this already.

As long as you have empty stockpiles of the appropriate type, eventually the items will get hauled.

You can also designate those items for dumping for a more immediate removal process.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 05:32:40 pm »

Yeah, I know, I do that myself.

I'd just prefer an automatic bit. Perhaps a toggle in the stockpile itself.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 05:43:09 pm »

I think this would be a good feature, kinda like stone is moved when a farm is built.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:45:18 pm »

Yeah, that's exactly it.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 06:23:21 pm »

I think this would be a good feature, kinda like stone is moved when a farm is built.

except the farm build is cancelled if it can't find a place to put the stone. Dwarves cant cancel the placement of a stockpile.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 07:53:12 pm »

I always get the "Dwarves cancel farmplot due to stone" message even when there is an a tile where they can dump the stone...
Freaking dwarves.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 08:22:34 pm »

Change this too "If their an item that can go in the stockpile but their is no empty space in the stockpile and an undesired object is in the stockpile, then replace the undesired object with the new item and drop the undesired object in the nearest available space"

This mean theirs no wasted effort until the space in the stockpile is actually needed.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 08:58:56 pm »

Change this too "If their an item that can go in the stockpile but their is no empty space in the stockpile and an undesired object is in the stockpile, then replace the undesired object with the new item and drop the undesired object in the nearest available space"

That would be better. Otherwise, the new feature would just create tons of needless jobs. That would be a big problem early on, when you probably have tons of stone everywhere, lots of work to do already and very few dwarves.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:32:06 pm »

I wholeheartedly support this, by far the biggest issue all the excess stone lying around creates is that you can't make stockpiles. I just dump it in a quantum stockpile of course, but should I really have to micromanage all that? It's extremely tedious when I'm setting up my workshops.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 09:35:59 pm »

I like the standard version better, a stockpile should be clear of items that don't belong in it at all times. Keeping stuff in place until stockpile space is needed would be nice for rocks, but get confusing for any other item, particularly for mixed stockpiles. If my sword stockpile says no axes, the axe shouldn't be in there... and similar things. Rocks don't need to be a special case.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 10:19:43 pm »

Or maybe just move the stone out of stockpiles when the stone is actually taking up space?  I heard there are some items that allow for stone to be in the same place as the stockpiled item, but that doesn't work for all of them (I think food and drink do this).  I don't mind the stone when it comes to those stockpiles, and then I get a warm fuzzy feeling when my masons clear up them up later when using them for superconstructions.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 10:24:47 pm »

I always get the "Dwarves cancel farmplot due to stone" message even when there is an a tile where they can dump the stone...
Freaking dwarves.

The dwarf constructing the farmplot won't touch the stone on the spot if it is set for dump. But if you don't set that stone for dump and place the farmplot, the dwarf will remove the stone as it builds it.

At least I assume so, I know this works when constructing ANY other construction.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 11:03:51 pm »

Then you could just toggle that too.

Have a toggle with three options. One: Don't move non-stockpile objects. Two: Move all non-stockpile objects. And three: Clear space as needed.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 11:51:09 pm »

Then you could just toggle that too.

Have a toggle with three options. One: Don't move non-stockpile objects. Two: Move all non-stockpile objects. And three: Clear space as needed.
Seems good to me, though it's always important to have a sensible default option. "Clear space as needed" seems like the best choice. It's not particularly labor intensive and since most stockpiles use bins or barrels just a little space is all you need to store several items before someone has to clear it out a bit more.

EDIT: Who else thinks this deserves a place on the eternal suggestion list?
Pages: [1] 2