Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF:DF? A mod idea/project for the next DF version  (Read 1429 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
DF:DF? A mod idea/project for the next DF version
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:48:19 am »

I'm pretty sure the idea was discussed at some point, if only because of similar acronyms. Dwarf Fall or Dagger Fortress ('dagger' being 'Urist' in dwarven), call it anything you like.

It could be done this version, since the most prominent things are already possible, except magic - different species of humans and elves with their different views, khajiit, dwemer, argonians, wildlife specific to regions, weapons and armor of different metals, vast world with numerous cities and random caves.

However, next version it can all be that much bigger. Subspecies of khajiit and different fur colors, minor but important differences between high/wood/dark elves, highly custom workshop sets for races with different materials available for crafting, proper dungeon-dwelling creatures and daedric civs, et cetera.

In this thread I'd like to collect as much comprehensive and DF-relevant info about the Daggerfall's, and possibly Morrowind's creatures, races, and items. Languages would be a big plus.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: DF:DF? A mod idea/project for the next DF version
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:49:31 am »

I would approve of that, I like TES.  And hell my own "little bit of everything from other games" mod already includes Argonians.   ...Even though they are basically just humans that build on beaches and swamps, are amphibious and have a custom taunt file that includes "who made a fine pair of boots." Ala Oblivion.

Unfortunately when the new version comes out I would likely be too busy converting all my own stuff to help much.

There are some minor inconsistencies between TES games though,  In Daggerfall I think Argonians can basically just hold their breath longer (and I'm not completely sure of that either)  In Oblivion they can stay underwater indefinitely.  I believe argonians have a bonus to lockpicking in Oblivion as well, but I don't know if that would be enough to translate to [LOCKPICKER] in Dwarf Fortress. 

I'm sure other races have some similar weird little details that changed between games.  I mean hell, I recall reading somewhere that some Khajiit look exactly like housecats their whole lives.  That would be kinda weird in fortress mode.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:03:48 pm »

There are different species of Argonians as well, probably. Also, I'm considering Oblivion non-canon for this mod's purposes.

The race you're thinking of is the Alfiq.

The khajiit I'll probably add would include:
  • Ohmes: Basically people with tails and minor catlike features.
  • Ohmes-raht: Slightly more catlike than Ohmes, they have short light fur.
  • Suthay: Most prominent of the khajiit, they're fully covered in fur of varying colors
  • Suthay-raht: Slightly bigger and stronger than the Suthay.
  • Cathay: More brutish than the Suthay-raht. Would be 'humans' if Suthay-raht were 'elves'.
  • Cathay-raht: Larger and stronger than the Cathay.
In addition, I would add these as non-civ supplement to Khajiit:
  • Tojay and Tojay-raht: Feral hunters of warm marshes and forests.
  • Dagi and Dagi-raht: Feral hunters of warm jungles and forests.
  • Pahmar and Pahmar-raht: Large quadrupeds likely employed as "guard cats".
  • Senche and Senche-raht: Large quadrupeds used as mounts.
  • Senche-tiger: Likely a frontline attack force.
The -raht versions are bigger and more feral than the normal ones.

Alfiq and Alfiq-raht could have "pet" status, being quite like cats. They can't speak, but can understand speech.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:21:02 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 02:45:17 pm »

Alright, so these are the monsters I found so far:

Giant bat: dungeon-dwelling bat, roughly dog-size.
Giant rat: about the same, but a rat.
Grizzly bear: Well, a bear. Might add (or keep) other bears as well.
Sabertooth tiger: I might keep the other big cats as well.
Spider: GCS can also remain.
Giant Scorpion: We already have these.
Slaughterfish: Eel-like, fast, strong.
Centaur: Will be a minor forest-dwelling race.
Dragonling: Like the giant bat, but breathes fireballs.
Dreugh: Underwater human/spider/octopus hybrid. Fast and furious.
Gargoyle: Pretty standard, with [NOCTURNAL] being the only thing I can think of.
Giant: We have these already.
Harpy: These too.
Imp: Like a fire imp, but no fire.
Lamia: Fast underwater mermaid-thing. Weak to frost.
Nymph: In forests and lakes. Standard female humanoid.
Spriggan: Like a downgraded treant.
Orcs: Straightforward goblin copies.
Wereboar: Boar-man.
Werewolf: Wolf-man. Both nocturnal.
Air Atronach: Tough air elemental. High damblock. On high mountains.
Fire Atronach: Tough fire/magma elmental. In volcanoes. Weak to frost.
Frost Atronach: Tough ice elemental. Weak to fire.
Iron Atronach: Tough metal elemental. High damblock.
Various undead: Skeletons, liches, mummies: can be kept in caves as unique encounters.
Daedra Lord: Awfully strong demonic humanoid in armor. Very high damblock.
Daedra Seducer: Naked chick with bat wings.
Fire Daedra/Drost Daedra: Upgraded versions of the Atronachs.
Daedroth: Lesser Daedra, reptilian-looking critter.

Monsters from Morrowind with their images and descriptions can be found here. Now we need to work out details on races and weapons. And wait for the new version, of course.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 08:52:48 pm »

Hey Sean, I am happy that it's YOU who picked up the TES project. Because by the look of the previous works of yours, you tend to be careful and specific, and do things in a clever way. I am glad to hear about it :).

You know TES wiki, right? I cannot add more yet. I'll try to trace some useful info from there though :D.

P.S. Don't forget about Cliff Racers!!! Those buggers.

And Guars for pack animals, and Kagouti for wilderness (I think I've read somewhere that they are too furious during their mating period to keep them as domestic animals).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:54:39 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 12:32:49 pm »

Hm. I gathered from the in-game material that Senche-tigers are either Senche or Senche-raht, not sure which, but I think the -raht.

Is there any Daedric language in game? I thought the things in Daedric font usually were in English if you did the transliteration, so weren't all that useful.

Cliff Racers: The new Giant Eagle. Might not be as individually deadly(not as big), but you'd have to have clusters of 30 or so to match how often they'd pester you in game...

And don't forget the scamps. Probably around dwarf-sized(being shorter than a human), but with tails and nasty claws. Heck, Daedra in general, and they might be... oh, what's that tag... fanciful.

• Scamp
  • Daedroth (re-cited only to note their poison)
  • Clannfear
  • Ogrim
  • Golden Saint
  • Winged Twilight
  • Vermai (from Battlespire, so I don't know anything about them...)
  • Dremora (might even be worthy of a hostile civ; will definitely benefit from the upcoming caste system)

Some others have signature abilities that might not translate well:

• Spider daedra(spellcasters)
  • Hunger(destroy gear)
  • Xivilai(summon clannfear)

Dark Seducers/Mazken make a fair counterpoint to Golden Saints/Aureals, and either might make for a proper civilization, though neither ought to be friendly.

Kwama can't really be put in until castes show up, but they(including scribs, foragers, workers, warriors, and queens) deserve thought for that time. From the eggs they start in, through beetle-like, nonhostile scribs, and then into worm-like foragers, quadrupedal (and nonaggressive) workers, bipedal(and VERY aggressive) soldiers, and the sessile queens...

Bull and betty netch are different enough to probably be worth waiting for castes as well; betties are radial, four-limbed, aggressive, and have their air sac exposed, while bulls are bilateral, six-limbed(I think), not quite as belligerent, more numerous than betties, and their air sacs are, except underneath, covered in tough hide. The bulls are poisonous.

Nix hounds should be easy enough(quadrupedal hunters with a bunch of tentacles at the mouth), and Alits(mouths on two feet). And let's not forget mudcrabs. Or slaughterfish, the new carp.

Shalk are large, somewhat aggressive beetles... which have a fiery bite attack.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:55:27 pm by Shurhaian »
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 01:23:07 pm »

Kwama should be pretty easy to do in the next version. There you'll be able to have different parameters (totally different, like various bodies and sizes) for each caste so it's easy to do.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 01:45:37 pm »

Exactly what I was getting at; sorry if I said it badly. :)

Ed.: Let's not forget the plants. Saltrice, for instance, can be brewed into mazte. Comberry, as well as having presumably edible berries, is brewed into greef and shein; pick one for the mod, I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 02:40:51 pm by Shurhaian »

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 05:38:29 pm »

Oh wait, plants and drinks!!!

Some time ago, I was making a TES mod and I've studied lots of web sources about all the plants and possible drinks. Damn, I hope I didn't delete the tables yet. I've covered everything, from Vvardenfell-brewed ones down to imperial and even skyrim ones.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 05:45:26 pm »

And then there's moon sugar.

I get a feeling that Khajiit will be the "elves" of the mod, except some of them will be big and furry. Other than that - close to nature, large and pointish ears, no qualms about eating their kills...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 05:50:10 pm »

Too bad there's no info what is the name of the cane we get moon sugar from... Moon sugar cane? :D

Skooma ftw.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 08:27:13 pm »

I get a feeling that Khajiit will be the "elves" of the mod, except some of them will be big and furry. Other than that - close to nature, large and pointish ears, no qualms about eating their kills...

Are you kidding me? Have you read A Dance In Fire? The Bosmer will fatten up and serve people they don't like, including one of their own, never mind that they weren't killed in battle. The Bosmer are the elves of this mod, I think!

Regarding moon sugar - I think it is a cane crop. Could be milled into moon sugar or extracted into vial at a still for skooma - skooma isn't cookable, and you can go both ways on moon sugar(it's supposed to be a drug, even though Khajiit DO eat a lot of it).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 10:50:02 pm »

It's supposed to be a magic powder too :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 11:08:15 pm »

skooma/moon sugar is like alcohol for the other races: just recreational cultural drug, but its highly addictive and heavier sideeffects to the more humanoid races. in the games no dealer will trade with you if you got some skooma in you inventar, but khajit traders will gladly take it from you.

also bosmer are literal woodelves, just like altmer the highelves and dunmer the darkelves. and dwemer are the lost dwarven race (except why are quite of human size, and directly related to the other elves, hence the -mer, but got all the big beardy stuff build awesome mechanical cosntructions and deep mines and all that stuff.. so would be just like our dwarves)

and humans arent noted here too? there is a list of khajit but not even the basic human civs? tsts

Bosmer - Woodelves, good archers, treehugers, skintone goes into wooden colors
Altmer - Highelves, good mages, quite cultural, very pale skin
Dunmer - Darkelves, very nomadic, hunters and scavangers, but also got quite some cultural stuff, more for swordfighting and somewhatbetween the above, black to very dark gray skintones
Dwemer - Dwarfs... with pointy ears. nuff said

Hooomaaans
Imperial - Average Human, kinda like the romans, very high culture, good cavalery and infantrie
Redguard - kinda Afro-American looking, but castles and stuff more like european medivial, very strong infantrie
Nords - Nordic... nuff said, well yes think of your average scandinavian wiking and you got a nord
Breton - magic users, they seem to be like medivial monks somehow, cant point my finger at it
Orcs - green humans with fangs, very strong in melee combat... basicly ^^

Argonians - kinda like kahjits are cats, the argonians are lizardmen
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 09:05:24 am »

There were also Kothringi and Nedic people, but I think they are extinct.

And Dwemer have nothing to do with dwarves (except for the fact that they loved machines and metalworking), they were just another type of an elf, sans a prejudice against beards.
All the -Mer were evolved (mutated :D) from Aldmer, a single race.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: [1] 2