Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exploding Titan in a Cage  (Read 943 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Exploding Titan in a Cage
« on: December 18, 2009, 05:17:31 am »

So I had a titan in a cage, set up in a temple on the edge of the map, hooked up to a lever in my dining room. I leave it there so that when a siege comes, I can release it and let it devour nearby enemies.

One fine spring, I'm unforbidding the corpses of goblin snatchers that ran into my weapon trap, when I notice that the titan's constituent parts are strewn all over the ground nearby.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It looks like the titan somehow exploded within its cage, and the bodyparts rained down upon my entrance.

I know that there's a bug that causes the remains of things that die in cages to teleport back to the location where they were caged; for example, the clothing of caged goblins thrown into magma will reappear back at the trap site on fire. Maybe that had something to do with it?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
Re: Exploding Titan in a Cage
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 06:08:14 am »

It looks like the titan somehow exploded within its cage, and the bodyparts rained down upon my entrance.

I know that there's a bug that causes the remains of things that die in cages to teleport back to the location where they were caged; for example, the clothing of caged goblins thrown into magma will reappear back at the trap site on fire. Maybe that had something to do with it?

That would explain the bits winding up at the entrance, but not the initial exploding.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 06:21:24 am »

If you ask me, it looks like EACH AND EVERY SINGLE PART of this titan was neatly torn off and placed in that spot.

Weird, sadist dwarf maybe?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 07:59:02 am »

This calls for a blitz on titan bone crafts.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 08:21:29 am »

What happens to units in cages when a hostile attacks them?  I never tested it but from experience dogs seem to die faster in cages then on restraints.  Maybe a stray merchant guard or goblin decided to fight it. 

Hmm, environmental damage hits every single part but I doubt it could do something like that...

I have no idea. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 08:30:39 am »

That's so weird
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 09:51:37 am »

...ok, done laughing now. Dont think ill ever get tired of these forums ;D

*ahem* yeah, I realy only seen this happen with thermonuclear cats. Even his shoulders are there, somehow. I suppose you could explain it all ending up there with the cage trap bug, but why it was so utterly dismembered in its cage... I realy wouldnt know. Titans dont have sever on breaks, and even if something attacks it in its cage, it couldnt do THAT to it.

Its also funny how that cage still weighs so much even though just about every single bit of titan was strewn across your entrance.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:31:23 am »

Hmm. Is there biting cold in your fortress or blinding heat? Was it trained and tamed?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 01:01:32 pm »

It was still wild, because I never tame megabeasts (when the fort collapses, tame creatures die, but wild ones stick around).

The water does freeze in the winter. Maybe that had something to do with it?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 01:52:27 pm »

My guess is that the cage was too small for the Titan; the sheer compressive force that it was under caused it to burst open the cage opening. Much like a can of fake snakes.

Dwarves go that one step further with their practical jokes.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 03:36:42 pm »

This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this before. Do you think it might be reproducable? Because that looks like a bug of some sort.

How'd the titan get caught? Did it get stunned and fall into the weapon trap? Maybe it was caught in some sort of continuous falling state or something, reached a hard limit of falling, and then exploded.

This is pure speculation on my part.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 04:14:35 pm »

Oh man. I enjoyed that pretty thoroughly.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 05:35:07 pm »

Maybe it tried to squeeze between the bars, and partly succeeded.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!