Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 45 z-level, open air pit. 32 x 32. What should I do with it?  (Read 2975 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
45 z-level, open air pit. 32 x 32. What should I do with it?
« on: December 18, 2009, 04:30:19 am »

Title says it all. What should I build? Keep in mind that I'm cheating because I just want to build something, so give me something ridiculously enormous to build. I have a smelter reaction for every possible metal and a few rare gems, my dwarves are lightspeed automatons. I have a cave river on the map and nothing more.

So, what stupidly ridiculous mega-construction should I do? Any suggestions?

Here, have a picture of the pit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:34:21 am by Doomshifter »
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 45 z-level, open air pit. 32 x 32. What should I do with it?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 04:43:53 am »

You should give up the save/game folder, that's what you should do.

Also, maybe try a dwarven rocket? Make a self-sustainable spaceship vertically centered in the pit, encompassing nearly all of the z-levels available to you. Then flood it with magma! :D

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 04:46:35 am »

Sure, I think I'll upload the save. I must warn you, though! There is no food/drink/anything that a dwarf needs to survive. There is nothing but this pit. Nothing at all. A few workshops here and there, an empty cave-river, that's it.

I'll post the raws for my modified dwarves along with the save.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:27:48 am »

A Dwarven Colosseum.  All but a few Z-levels should be converted into observation space.  Floor over the chasm area and rig up a mechanism to unleash goblins/beasts/nobles into it.

And possibly a mechanism that allows it to be flooded/drained as required.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 05:37:16 am »

A Dwarven Colosseum.  All but a few Z-levels should be converted into observation space.  Floor over the chasm area and rig up a mechanism to unleash goblins/beasts/nobles into it.

And possibly a mechanism that allows it to be flooded/drained as required.

There's no chasm. If you look at the picture, you'll see that the whole thing was hand-dug.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 07:38:36 am »

You should plan an immense hanging maze spanning z-levels, place some sort of palace-like structure in the center where your favorite dwarves hang out, and then release goblins, megabeasts, nobles, and unwanted immigrants into the rest of it to wander around until they die, trying to reach the top, and freedom. There should be all sorts of fatal drops and traps all over the maze, both filtering out the unfortunate as well as constantly shifting the maze's structure.

It would be the kind of structure where creatures could wander around within for so long that they would have children and die, and then their children would wander around, eventually forming primitive proto-societies, forgetting what the surface world felt like except for legends passed down from their ancestors, attributing their existence in the immense, monolithic, artificial structure around them to the hands of the gods of the Labyrinth.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 07:52:17 am »

You should plan an immense hanging maze spanning z-levels, place some sort of palace-like structure in the center where your favorite dwarves hang out, and then release goblins, megabeasts, nobles, and unwanted immigrants into the rest of it to wander around until they die, trying to reach the top, and freedom. There should be all sorts of fatal drops and traps all over the maze, both filtering out the unfortunate as well as constantly shifting the maze's structure.

It would be the kind of structure where creatures could wander around within for so long that they would have children and die, and then their children would wander around, eventually forming primitive proto-societies, forgetting what the surface world felt like except for legends passed down from their ancestors, attributing their existence in the immense, monolithic, artificial structure around them to the hands of the gods of the Labyrinth.
*resists urge to mention David Bowie*

That would be awesome. Now, if only, if ONLY they could make little civilisations. If I knew I could bring such utter despair, I'd spend ages just perfecting this thing.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 07:59:06 am »

Dwarven swimming pool.

...shallow end? Ha. Ha ha. AHAHAHAH.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 08:06:57 am »

Dwarven swimming pool.

Sure, my friend. You're invited to the shallow end. Keep in mind that the shallow end is just as deep as the deep end, and we're only saying that there is a shallow end METAPHORICALLY.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 08:26:00 am »

Dwarven swimming pool.

Sure, my friend. You're invited to the shallow end. Keep in mind that the shallow end is just as deep as the deep end, and we're only saying that there is a shallow end METAPHORICALLY.
Lifeguard? What the hell is that?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 08:29:44 am »

Dwarven swimming pool.

Lifeguard? What the hell is that?
Oh, it's the guy over there with the axe that will kill you if you try to leave.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 08:31:29 am »

Build a giant spire hanging from a floor on top, which is entirley self-sufficient.

Then drop it. Don't forget the diamond drillbit!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 11:02:03 am »

Fill it with constructed walls
(A thought experiment. A single tile of natural wall contains enough stone to create a tile of constructed wall. It is conceivable that eventually these walls will have different physical properties, density comes to my mind first. Would it then not be possible to affect the physical properties of the world as a whole simply by mining out and then replacing all natural walls with constructed ones? This construct-world would have the same volume, and a different mass.)
[Then again, dorfs probably just cut a slab of rock out of the ground, prop it up sideways and call it a wall, so maybe all this is a wash.]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:17:43 am by Airpi »
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 11:18:28 am »

Fill it with constructed walls
(A thought experiment. A single tile of natural wall contains enough stone to create a tile of constructed wall. It is conceivable that eventually these walls will have different physical properties, density comes to my mind first. Would it then not be possible to affect the physical properties of the world as a whole simply by mining out and then replacing all natural walls with constructed ones? This construct-world would have the same volume, and a different mass.)
Only problem is that each natural wall doesn't have a guarantee of giving your a rock, especially with poorly trained miners near the beginning. So, even if I did this, I'd fall short a few rocks.
Pages: [1] 2 3